Sunday, November 29, 2020

Where have all the players gone, long time ago

"Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place then come down and shoot the survivors."  -- Ernest Miller Hemingway

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."  -- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

People who have been coming here for a while probably know I worked at a newspaper or two or three in the past and also that I received a pay check from the Department of Corrections in South Dakota once upon a time.

I assume most know from their own experiences that if four or five individuals witness an event it is not only possible, but likely, there will be four or five variations to exactly what happened. People often believe their own versions no matter what the "facts" indicate happened.

At one newspaper, one of my "sidelines" was putting together a weekly arts and entertainment "section" (two or three or four pages) weekly, depending upon what was happening and how much print space was available in a news sense. When time and opportunity and space were available in a staff sense, I occasionally would assign two or three reporters to review the same book or to attend the same concert or the same stage play or the same film and run their reviews side-by-side.

I thrived during these exercises, especially when it involved two or three reporters "debating" the merits (or the lack of them) of an event. (I am using the word "event" in the context of a book / concert / play / film review here.) Criticism, if you check out the word, means pointing out both the positive and the negative of an event.

Christmas music is among my favored and I have begun the season this year by listening to it very early. Realizing also that different individuals have differing tastes in music, I have pulled out two versions of, "Oh, Holy Night," and am including them here today. For any who care to partake in the "experiment," they are there waiting for you to listen to them and to offer an opinion in the form of a comment. Remember, critics should point out both the good and the bad, if they find any of either.

If you are feeling shy about writing a comment regarding these two singers and their presentations of this song in a critical manner, I will mention I never have worked with a reporter/reviewer who had any vocal or acting experience other than during their "school days," much less been a "trained singer" or an "acting studio" graduate. So, feel free to watch / to listen / to write. My reviewers essentially all were reporters, mostly with limited newspaper experience and only a few ever had done a review of any sort in their life before then in or out of journalism. The one thing they all had in common was a willingness -- even an eagerness among a few -- to give it a try.

The first rendition of, "Oh, Holy Night," is presented by musicians from Hillsong Worship, a religious organization in Sydney, Australia. Taya Gaukrodger Smith, originally from a country town in northern Australia and active in the Sydney music community, is the soloist.

The Raskasta Joulua event has the same song, "Oi Jouluyö," performed in Finnish in sort of a rock style and party atmosphere by a very pregnant Floor Jansen, currently vocalist with the symphonic rock band, Nightwish, and who occasionally performs in a freelance manner, as she is doing in this instance ....


                                                                                                                                                                         

8 comments:

Anita said...

Dear Fram.Your music is beautiful.Ilove them all.To different times.However.I can not help it but Tarja ,still is the best vocalist of Nightwish.
To me she is the greatest soprano and the only one that can make me to tears by her voice.Like Maria Callas.Those two.Love love love
Listen to Tarja here
https://youtu.be/tR5o4FrFxlo
https://youtu.be/dFVAyUuRTJk

https://youtu.be/spJlqZIHK24

Good post Fram.Always enjoy your writing

Hilsen
Norskejenten

Fram Actual said...

You may or may not remember, Anita, but Nightwish put in an appearance here a couple of years ago. Before the performance, which I planned to attend, I moaned and I cried in a post because Tarja Turunen was no longer with the group. I did go to the concert, but I never wrote a direct follow-up post. I did not write one because I had been "overpowered" by the band and, especially, by Floor Jansen.

Both Tarja and Floor have their attributes and their detriments, so I will not debate which is the better, but I will say each is vastly superior to any of the three who came between them. I do listen to both Tarja and Floor with or without Nightwish.

Taya Gaukrodger Smith has what it takes, too, and the added benefit (some would say) of a religious fervor to give her voice a unique touch. It was noticeable to me. She certainly held nothing back for this particular performance.

I will have to find Maria Callas .... it has been a long while since I heard her voice.

Thank you, Anita, for coming and for writing a comment. I listened/watched a Saint Olaf College concert in Norway from a few years back the other night. Loved it ....

Take care and be safe and I since I do not have a guitar, I will dust off a set of drums .... just in case ....

Kelly said...

These are Interesting times, sometimes terrifying, and... for some... heartbreaking. A good friend of mine's wife had both parents die of Covid in the space of two weeks - her mother on Thanksgiving day.

I normally pick books based on their blurbs (sometimes influenced by the cover art) and try not to look at reviews until after I've read a book. (excluding those I see on the handful of book blogs I follow) Even then, I'm more inclined to look at the negatives. There have been many times I've really enjoyed one that got poor reviews (and vice versa). I love your idea of having reviews for the same event (book, album, etc) published side by side.

I've heard other things from Hillsong Worship and far preferred their version of 'O Holy Night' to the latter you shared. Just my opinion. ;)

Fram Actual said...

I have not been inside a church other than for weddings and funerals and as a tourist since I was a teenager, but the Hillsong version makes me recall the warmth and security felt within one as a boy on a dark of night, snowy, frigid Christmas Eve. For that reason, I prefer the Hillsong piece, as well.

If the two young ladies were singing a song such as, "Ghost Love Score," in a different setting, odds are eight or nine out of ten I would run with Floor Jansen. Variables and individual experiences undoubtedly are parts of the equation.

I assume people have done the doubles on reviews long before my appearance, but I recall the reason I started it was to prevent two reporters who both wanted the assignment from engaging in a physical altercation about who would have it. I suppose that is a bit of an exaggeration, but I did not want to take a chance on having it happen and having the young lady wipe out the young man.

I generally check out books based on curiosity. Interpretation = I read a historical novel I enjoy which piques my curiosity; I pick up a biography about the writer of the novel and a non-fiction book about the historical event the novel was based upon; I pick up additional books about both until the reading chart begins to look like a family tree. I usually do not start looking for reviews unless I am trying to make a decision about a particular book without having to flip a coin.

I know five individuals who have had Covid, two around age 60 who have died, with the others, all around 30, who seem to be doing ok. My sympathy goes to any and all who have had friends and family struck down by this plague.

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for writing a comment. Take care and be safe and may good fortune and good dogs be your constant companions ....

Liplatus said...

In a difficult era, we live around the world.
Almost all functions are prohibited. Maybe early next year
vaccinations begin and we gradually move towards a normal life. Very soon it will not happen overcoming the disease.

We can't afford to criticize, but that's what we listen to, which sounds good to our ears.
My milelipite, the more sensitive performance of the first video appeals to me.
Rock is not my music. Hard-sounding Christmas music. My Christmas is a delicate, peaceful and warm atmosphere.
There is no doubt that both orchestras and singers are professional top performers.
Both videos are stunning.

Greeting

Fram Actual said...

Sometime around 1590, give or take a year or two, an Englishman named Christopher Marlowe wrote a play entitled, "Doctor Faustus," based on German stories about a doctor who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for 24 years of, essentially, getting everything he wants, including Helen of Troy.

On a less grandiose scale, I think most of us, if not all, have multiple personas struggling within us. I know I have what it takes to be a Marine on the one hand, but part of me also has the sentimentality of a pacifist. On a far/far/far different scale, part of me prefers your concept of Christmas with "a delicate, peaceful and warm atmosphere," while another part of me is a rock 'n' roll party animal 365 days a year.

It is a real tightrope act to sustain equilibrium, and I am not always successful at maintaining my balance and I do shift from one side to the other periodically. At this point in time, I agree with you, Liplatus: I want a delicate, peaceful and warm atmosphere for Christmas this year.

Thank you, for coming and for writing, Liplatus. Be safe and take care and enjoy the holidays ....

Sort of a P.S. .... a case can be made, incidentally, that Marlowe is the actual author of the plays attributed to William Shakespeare ....

A Cuban In London said...

Same in London. The arts have been dealt a devastating blow.

Great music. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Fram Actual said...

As I periodically say, CiL, I envy those with faith in any religion and regret my inability to have it. My own curiosity will have to wait until the bell tolls.

Looking at the faces of the singers in the first video, I see the fervor of religious faith that must be fascinating to experience. Looking at the audience in the second video, I see sort of the same fervor, but in the sense of admiration and awe for the singer and her performance. That, too, must be fascinating to experience.

Say what we will about religion, through it and its auspices some of the greatest art in the world has been created and, for that, we all should be thankful ....

Thank you, CiL, for coming and for writing here .... later, buddy ....

Something special ....