Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Then & now .... Marine Corps

This USMC photograph shows Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller in the center-right foreground cutting a multi-layered birthday cake somewhere in Korea on November 10, 1950, while a multitude of Marines gather around awaiting a "piece of the action." Puller was the most decorated Marine in American history. He is one of two men to have been awarded five Navy Crosses, the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps second-highest decoration for valor in combat. His other awards included a Distinguished Service Cross, a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, a Legion of Merit, a Purple Heart and a few more. Puller retired as a lieutenant general from the Marine Corps in 1955 after 37 years of service. He died at age 73 in 1971. The other Marines in the photograph shall remain anonymous.

The first video is here to instill the fact that every Marine is first and foremost a rifleman. The corporal reciting the "Rifleman's Creed" is holding a Springfield model of 1903 rifle and the creed was written in late 1941 or early 1942, which dates this film to that time frame. The second to offer a glimpse into the Marine Corps of today. The last to help you remember tomorrow -- November 11 --  is Armistice Day / Veterans Day / Remembrance Day. By whatever name you identify with it, I hope you take a few moments to reflect on it and to think of a way you can contribute to make your neighborhood / your town / your state / your country a better place for those who call it home.

Happy Birthday, USMC .... 245 & counting

The United States Marine Corps was "born" on November 10, 1775, when the Second Continental Congress established the Continental Marines consisting of the First and Second Battalions under the command of a colonel. A recruitment drive was held at Tun Tavern and brewery in Philadelphia. Rumor has it not a single drop of liquor in any form could be found at the establishment when the doors were finally closed that night.

Although the anniversary always has been November 10, it was not until 1921 when observation of that date became official. It is my assumption that fact has escaped the attention of most, both inside and outside the Corps.

Prior to 1921, Marines celebrated the birth of the USMC on July 11 with little fanfare. Major Edwin N. McClellan, in charge of the historical section, sent a memorandum to Commandant John A. Lejeune on October 21, 1921,  suggesting the original birthday of November 10 be declared a Marine Corps holiday. Lejeune did just that in Marine Corps Order 47 issued on November 1, 1921. It read in part:

"On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of Continental Congress. Since that date many thousand men have borne the name 'Marine'. In memory of them it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the birthday of our corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history."

The first formal "Birthday Ball" was staged in 1925, though no records exist that indicate the proceedings of that event.  Birthday celebrations since have taken varied forms, with most including dances and guest speakers. Some accounts include mock battles, musical performances, pageants and athletic events.

This, the 245th anniversary of the founding of the Marine Corps, is unique in that a plague is on the loose and gatherings range from limited to prohibited. Still, there is no doubt cakes will be cut and speeches given and stories told of times and experiences now living in memories. Traditions will go on as long as memories exist ....

To all Marines, those among the dead, those who still live, those yet to be born: Semper Fidelis, to the end of time ....


                                         

                                             



6 comments:

Anita said...

Goodmorning sunshine!

Is there sunshine at your place??Hih hih

Fine post about the Marine Corps.I love the last video.
Strange because i have just watched We were solidiers.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Were_Soldiers

What is the cake formed liked?
Nice to see you blog again!

All good to you!

Hilsen Norskejenten :)

Fram Actual said...

The days of sun and mild temperatures have left me for a while, Norskejenten. The temperature is a bit below freezing and the forecast is for five inches of snow by this time tomorrow. I hope the weatherman is treating you better.

USMC birthday cakes come in all shapes and sizes, depending upon specific conditions. Generally, they are multi-layered and meant for groups of significant numbers for each present to have a piece cut to the size of a bite or two.

I have seen the film, "We Were Soldiers," about the Ia Drang battle. It is reasonably realistic and has its moments. I especially like the role of the journalist, Joseph Galloway.

Speaking of films, I recently saw a portion of, "The Snowman," filmed in and around Oslo. I gave up on it after a while thinking it was a little confusing and incoherent .... scenery was neat, though ....

Thank you, Anita, for coming and for writing here today. Semper fi and take care and be safe -- and, all good to you, too, sweet one ....

Kelly said...

Interesting clips, all three. I don't know that I've ever heard the "Rifleman's Creed" in its entirety before, but I've certainly heard the opening lines plenty of times. I assume you shot "expert"?

That last video is quite poignant. I refer to November 11th as Veteran's Day, but I also call it my younger granddaughter's birthday. She was born 11-11-11.

Happy Birthday USMC (today) and "thank you for your service" (tomorrow)

Despite looking like fall out the window, we're currently 81 degrees and 64% humidity.

Fram Actual said...

There are variations of the "creed," and I am at a loss to know which actually is the "real deal." They all are close enough to count, from my point of view, but I am sure there are those who would disagree.

I could fib and say, yep, about my rifle qualification, but my basic badge with a rifle was sharpshooter. I did shoot expert with handgun and automatic weapons, and eventually did hit expert with the rifle. I could list a few reasons why I was off with the rifle that particular day, but simply will say, "no excuse, ma'am."

I am curious. Have you ever attended a USMC birthday ball? I am guessing your husband was out of the Marines when you married, but, even if so, plenty of once-upon-a-time Marines make it a point to attend them. I have been to one since my departure, and that was for the opportunity to meet the only living Medal of Honor recipient from Minnesota.

For your husband today, "Happy Birthday."
For your husband tomorrow, "thank you, for your service."
For your younger granddaughter tomorrow, "Happy Birthday."

I think she is fortunate to have an 11-11-11 birthday, partially because it should be easier for people to remember and partially because I am superstitious about some things.

We have had a week of good weather, including one sunny day when the temperature reached 78. But, winter is not about to go unnoticed. I am not sure if the temperature climbed above the freezing mark today and there has been freezing rain to complement the solid, gray sky ....

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for writing here today. Semper fi and take care and be safe -- and, once more, birthday greetings to your granddaughter .... her ninth, if I am counting correctly ....

Kelly said...

No, no.... we're both pretty anti-social and my husband is one who, once discharged, never looked back. He's shared some pretty funny stories over the years about boot camp, but not much from Vietnam. I could say more, but it's not mine to tell.

Stay warm. I'll try to stay cool.

Fram Actual said...

I read your comment last night, Kelly, and have been thinking about it since. My thought is to say I will talk about training adventures and misadventures, liberty escapades and fiascos, on-base incidents and debacles .... that is as far as it goes other than an occasional verbal exchange of notes with other Marines. I have a tendency to over-think things, but in this regard I believe the answer is relatively clear-cut and straightforward: This is one among some matters I have no need or reason to discuss with anyone else.

Something special ....