Saturday, September 11, 2021

Some sort of anniversary today, right?

While cruising the unfathomable domain of "believe-it-or-not" -- commonly called the internet -- on an otherwise lackluster day, I sort of stumbled onto "Our Banner in the Sky," originally oil on paper by Frederick Edwin Church. Church painted this dramatic and symbolic colorful sunset in 1861 to reflect "divine" support for the Union during the American Civil War. Seems just as relevant today, would you not agree? Our fundamental problem seems to stem from a lack of consensus about good guys and bad guys and our inability to agree to disagree in a cultured manner. Church, by the way, was a central figure in the Hudson River School of American landscape painters and, for a time, the most renowned American artist.

"Oh baby, I really gotta go now"

"Every time you dig up something from the past, you give more meaning to the present."

That sentence was spoken by Robert Taylor portraying archaeologist Mark Brandon in "Valley of the Kings," a 1954 adventure film written and directed by Robert Pirosh from a screenplay by Pirosh and Karl Tunberg, "suggested by historical data" in the book, "Gods, Graves and Scholars," by C. W. Ceram.

I watched the film a few days ago and, since my life is a series of "what ifs," pulled out my copy of “Gods/Graves” to try for an "imaginary glimpse" of what life would have been like for me had I followed my "once-upon-a-time" plan to degree in and to pursue a career in archaeology.

Ceram was German journalist and writer Kurt Wilhelm Marek, who published "Götter, Gräber und Gelehrte" in 1949. In translation, it became "Gods, Graves and Scholars: The Story of Archaeology," an account of the historical development of archaeology. Marek chose to use a pseudonym to mask his earlier work as a propagandist for the Third Reich. (Probably a good idea.)

The book covers Greek, Egyptian, Mesopotamian archaeology and  other regions, as well. It also provides short biographies of several notable figures in the field, including Heinrich Schliemann, a German businessman and archaeological pioneer, who excavated Hisarlik, now presumed to be the site of Troy, along with Mycenae and Tiryns, and English Egyptologist Howard Carter, who found the intact tomb of Tutankhamun in 1922 in the Valley of the Kings.

Ceram later published more books, including "Yestermorrow: Notes on Man's Progress." Never read it, so far, but the title has hold of my curiosity ....

Yestermorrow .... what a great word, I think .... from Wiktionary:

"Noun yestermorrow (plural yestermorrows) A day in the sequence of days from past to future, emphasizing the connection between past and future events .... a time outside of time .... a time that cannot be fit into the normal timeline, possibly due to relativistic effects."

Author and screenwriter Ray Bradbury, known primarily for science fiction and fantasy novels and short-stories, such as "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Martian Chronicles," also had a book titled "Yestermorrow." His was a series of essays, poetry and philosophical reflections, a few of which make stimulating reading, while others are pretty much a drag.

Back on point (whatever it might be .... your guess is as good as mine): I do keep up with what is happening in the field of archaeology to a degree, and recently have been feeling engulfed by the near-countless finds these days .... cemetery after cemetery in Great Britain; 400,000-year-old bone tools in Italy; hundreds of Bronze Age artifacts uncovered in France; thousands of previously unknown campsites and towns pinpointed in Europe and Africa through study of satellite photographs.

Well, you get my drift .....

My thought has been that at some point any shovelful of earth will reveal some manner of "archaeological treasures," most of them items not worthy of storage, much less of display.

I still think that, but I also think about the sentence: "Every time you dig up something from the past, you give more meaning to the present."

Could be, but are there such things as too much knowledge about the past, too many often trivial artifacts from eras stretching back even into prehistory?



6 comments:

Anita said...

Good afternoon.
The commemoration. Twenty years ago the terrorist attacks.Great post on this day Fram.What did you do that day?The painting is soo beautiful and also the music.I prefer the last one since it was about the vietnam war and the vets. Despite the new remix .I hope all is allright with you and family.Strange how I can feel when you publish a post. My structured brain says it's because this blog, posts every ca14 day But I say there is more between heaven and earth than we think.In Norway there is a parliamentary election on Monday..I think it will be the end for Erna since the red side is now dominant.We will see what the future brings.Thanks for a nice post Have a good time in America.Your friend in Bergen -Norway

Kelly said...

I really like the painting. I don't recall ever seeing it before.

That's an interesting version of In the Year 2525. I recognize some, but not all of the images used. Louis Louis is always a fun song to hear.

Fram Actual said...

Being a late-to-bed / late-to-rise sort of guy under ordinary circumstances, twenty years ago on the "day of" I was asleep in a motel bed (by myself) when my telephone rang. I answered and a friend asked if I had television on. I replied no. The friend said an airplane had just crashed into one of the Twin Towers in New York City. My immediate assumption was some sort of accident, although such an accidental event was difficult to comprehend. The friend and I talked for a while and speculated. Then another airplane came into view and whack. Obviously, no accident. The rest of the day was consumed by television news and telephone calls.

So, Frøken Bergen jente. Do you recall what were you doing that day?

The last video is mostly about the future of Earth and humankind. Some would call it inevitable progress coupled with the miracles of technology. I would describe it as a dismal / miserable / hopeless / tedious existence and, unless people find a way to make some radical changes, it probably is inevitable.

Glad you liked the post, Anita. I do agree with you that "there is more between heaven and earth than we think," but will add that I follow my moods and there is no rhyme or reason or particular pattern in timing to when my posts appear.

All is well and fine with me, Anita. I hope the same is true with you and those in your life. Thank you, for visiting me and for writing a comment for me. Take care / stay safe / be confident and think happy thoughts .... later ....

Fram Actual said...

There are many paintings by Frederick Edwin Church to be seen on the internet, Kelly. The popularity of the work of most "successful" artists (painters / writers / composers) rises and falls like waves on the seas. Even Willie Shakespeare was out of favor a couple of hundred years until a "revival" began around the mid-Nineteenth Century. I noted a couple of Church's paintings have been valued in the millions.

What is interesting is to speculate about which writers and musicians from these times will continue to be read/listened to in a couple of hundred years. The topic can raise conversations to heated arguments, which provide a lesson in why we just cannot seem to get along.

I recognized very few of the sights in the 2525 video. It and the Kingsmen video were meant to illustrate the stark, ever-potential differences during the march of humankind through time.

Thank you, Kelly, for your appearance and your comment. Take care / stay safe / be confident and think happy thoughts .... later ....

Liplatus said...

Reddish light of the painting in the evening sun or early in the morning is amazingly beautiful. Dramatic atmosphere. Beautiful painting!

I remember November 11. I opened the television and it appeared
a devastating flight first to one and then to another tower block.
It took a while before I realized it really happened.

I recently read the military history of my hometown.
I sought certainty as to who finally destroyed the church in September 1944, whether the Germans or the Russians. According to the writings, probably the Russians.

Video has a very impressive view up to 2525.

Fram Actual said...

Yes, Liplatus, the painting is very dramatic in colors and very imaginative in content and very powerful in symbolism. I agree with it in sentiment of right and wrong, as well.

As a once-upon-a-time Marine and a minor league student of war, I had no difficulty in believing a group of fanatics could do what they did, although the improbability of accomplishing the acts seemed to stretch credulity. Were the FBI and the CIA and a few other "intelligence" outfits out to lunch or asleep at the switch? It turns out for the most part, yes, they were, and, those among them who were not were ignored. And, as usual, the executive and the congressional branches of government responded with knee-jerk reactions oblivious to unintended consequences. Now, 20 years later, world leaders appear to be not one iota wiser.

After reading your comment and the words about Germans and Russians and the destruction of the church, I listened to the Dominic Behan/Bobby Dylan song "With God on Our Side," especially noting the final verse:

And now, as I'm leavin', I'm weary as hell
The confusion I'm feelin' no tongue can tell
The words fill my head and they fall to the floor
If God is on our side he'll stop the next war

I think the primary message in the final video is this:

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive ....

Thank you, very much, for your visit and your comment, Liplatus. Live long and prosper, to borrow a thought from Mr. Spock ....

Something special ....