Thursday, August 26, 2021

"Time -- he's waiting in the wings"

I liberated this illustration from the depths of the infinite forbidden zone known as the notional environment of cyberspace.  I would give credit to its creator if I knew the identity, but, since I do not, I simply will say, "thank you .... you do good work .... I like your work." It seems to represent to me a creature whose name is Memory trying to find its way back to its owner .... or whatever.

"Memories light the corners of my mind"

Rutger Hauer was a Dutch actor and an environmentalist (although I think the role of environmentalist is the more important of the two and should be noted first) who died in 2019 of undisclosed causes at the age of 75. His most well-known role, many would argue, was in the 1982 film, "Blade Runner," as the self-aware replicant Roy Batty.

"Blade Runner" was an adaptation of Philip K. Dick's 1968 science fiction novel, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" The film takes place in a dystopian future Los Angeles of 2019, in which synthetic humans known as replicants are bio-engineered by a powerful corporation to work at space colonies. When a fugitive group of advanced replicants led by Batty escapes back to Earth, burnt-out police officer Rick Deckard agrees to hunt them down.

Batty's body begins to fail as the end of his lifespan nears -- planned obsolescence, you understand. As the film draws toward its conclusion, he saves Deckard's life and, as he is dying, Batty delivers a masterful monologue about his memories:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

The monologue had been composed by screenwriter David Peoples and altered by Hauer. An earlier version read: "I've known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I've been Offworld and back .... frontiers! I've stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching stars fight on the shoulder of Orion .... I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I've seen it, felt it ...."

The original script, before Hauer's rewrite, was: "I've seen things .... seen things you little people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion bright as magnesium .... I rode on the back decks of a blinker and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments .... they'll be gone."

Hauer said later that he "put a knife" to the final lines to cut the "opera talk" and to show Batty wanted to "make his mark on existence .... the replicant in the final scene, by dying, shows Deckard what a real man is made of ...."

How many of us think similar thoughts, I have no idea. In a self-centered way, I think about it frequently, of how my memories -- the recollection of my experiences -- will be lost when I die. At some point along the way, I began to understand it as one of the things we all have in common. Our memories, I assume, disappear into oblivion when we depart our lives on Earth. Our lives intermingle, but each and every one of us is an entity onto itself .... onto ourself.

I guess in a sense of finality, Hauer might be described as an editor with a sharp knife, an environmentalist who put his money where his mouth was and an actor who could bridge the distinction between a replicant and a very human being.

Watch the film and read the novel, if you are so inclined and have not already done so, and think about that final, brief soliloquy and your own memories.

Perhaps, it is for the best our memories fade into oblivion when our switch is flicked off .... but / but / but the simple thought of it is ever so annoying and frustrating ....



8 comments:

Kelly said...

So much good stuff here. I've not read Dick's novel (though I've read other work by him), but I love the film version. I even liked the "sequel" since it made sense as such (if that makes sense in general). Hauer's speech at the end is one of my favorite parts. (and Orion is my favorite constellation) Finally, the music from the film is incredible.

I must say, that's quite a good cover of We're An American Band. I'm impressed.

Thanks for a very enjoyable post.

Anita said...

You can write down your memoirs so you will not be forgotten ... And as long as you have good friends they will think of you..All the time..Even if life ends..Maybe the good qualities will be remembered and thought of then ..

Nice post and I liked that picture. Ohh here is room for big discussions! Thank you for additional information regarding Giants in the earth and Peder Seier and Den Signede Dag. While I wait for the last book to arrive in the mail to me from Finn.no .. I have The wanderings of Odysseus based on Homer's Odyssey and a book by Salman Rushdie The Moors last sigh to browse .Yes Thank you for a nice post and live well in Uniten ..Psss ..
Then there was the shaking news of the drummer in Stones found dead and Bob Dylan who will be 80 years old tomorrow !!! Wow, as time goes on we will all be old people in the end !! The line is flat will be going downwards..uff uff


May be I will watch Bladerunner ..We have tropical nights now.. No use going to sleep bec it is too hot!!

Fram Actual said...

I am glad you liked the "We're an American Band" cover by the Dead Daisies, Kelly. I think it is good and like it, too. I never have bumped into a band whose repertoire I like in its entirety and this group is no exception, but, if you would like to hear a bit more from these same guys, I would suggest the 2017 Polish Woodstock Festival as a place to hear it. From that encounter, I especially enjoyed, "Rockin' in the Free World."

We are even in one sense. I have read Philip K. Dick's "Electric Sheep" novel and seen the "Blade Runner" film, but never seen the film sequel. I will look it up .... maybe ....

I have been an on-again / off-again science fiction and fantasy buff, a member of the science fiction book club and a subscriber to some SF magazines, but never read any other books by Dick and only a couple of his short stories. I am not sure why that is, but ....

You are one up on me in another sense. I do run at night periodically and really enjoy "racing" the stars as the seasons change, but never taken time to study the constellations. I am not sure why that is, but ....

All-in-all, it would seem your visit to me was pleasant and enjoyable for you. Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for commenting .... take care / stay safe / rock on .... and, keep an eye out for "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" .... you never know ....

Fram Actual said...

I think I am writing my memoirs now in the form of these posts, Anita, although I have many doubts that any written words will survive the eons as time races on and into and through all the tomorrows yet to come.

It sometimes amazes me how many written works composed during the past 5,000 years still exist, but then I remember that most written works from the last 100 years are all but out of print or largely inaccessible. We live in a world of contradictions.

As for memories of me, yes, some will exist. There is a cliché of sorts that an individual does not die until the last person with living memory of the individual also dies. But, those are memories of me, not my memories. Returning to the subject of memoirs, no matter how intricate the illustrations and precisely written the words, there is no way to adequately convey the emotions and the feelings our experiences create within us.

There are a few books I periodically pick up and (usually) randomly open and read for an hour or so. "Centennial" is one of them; the "Odyssey" is one of them; "Giants in the Earth” is among them; the "Heimskringla" is another, as well as a few more I will not mention here. Each is for a different reason and each has meaning beyond the words.

You mention "The wanderings (sic) of Odysseus." The last I was aware controversy existed about some of the locations he visited on his journey home, with the biggest question centering on the location of his kingdom. Apparently the Ithaca of today was not the Ithaca in the time of Odysseus, and one recent alternative candidate for his domain is Paliki.

Life goes on with us or without us. I have seen the Rolling Stones twice, both times with Charlie. The band is scheduled for a concert stop here again in October and I hope to go. It will be the first time to see the group without Charlie on the drums.

So, young lady of Bergen, take care / stay safe / be good and, by all means, find a way to watch the film "Blade Runner" ....

Liplatus said...

Great picture of infinity.
My young loved one, who slept away, often pondered infinity and the limitations of life. Another dimension / parallel reality that can be, even if we don’t see it. Even if we don’t see each other, we can be close.

Today is his birthday, we have remembered him.
He is free to come through memories, not forgotten
He is free and everywhere.

An interesting movie, I watched. Amazing imagination. Pretty wild pictures of the future.
Emotions, empathy separate us from robots.
Robots are the future that will replace man in many jobs.
I, too, am looking for a robotic vacuum cleaner to help with housework.
It also wipes the floors.

Fine movie music performance on video.

Thank you Fram Actual for the fascinating post.

Fram Actual said...

My only real fear in this existence is that one of my children would leave it before I do. I have experienced that in a sense, a stillborn son, and that occurrence set in motion a series of events which explicitly changed by life. Changed for better or for worse, I have not the slightest notion because there is no way to measure a pathway never taken.

Happy birthday to your lost child. You have experienced my greatest fear and, evidently, have been able to move on through with your own life. I am not at all certain I would be able to do that. I have both created life and taken life, and am unable to measure the impact of either on my own life .... although I am able to absorb the reality of them.

Numerically, the greatest puzzle to me is the near-unfathomable number of "beings" which have walked the surface of the Earth and "wishing" for a glimpse inside their minds.

I wonder if robots will ever be able to see inside the minds of human creatures? If so, secrets will cease to exist ....

I wonder if the human mind ever will meld with robotic memory banks? If so, what becomes of emotions and empathy ....

Music composed for films is among the greatest created in this day and age, I think.

Under the category of anything might be possible, another dimension and a parallel reality are not beyond the bounds of conceivability. Who knows what is around the next bend in a river or what will be found if one chooses the left fork in the path (in a directional sense) rather than the right fork?

Thank you, Liplatus, for coming and for writing and for a deeper glimpse into your life. You are an admirable individual in many ways, not the least of which is your personal strength when adversity and grief enter your life. Take care / stay safe / be happy ....

Anita said...

Hejj!!Jeg vil bare takke for din fine kommentar hos meg!Dere har sikkert mye fin natur rundt i Minnesotaen også. Jeg har nå lest ferdig boken "Den Signede dag" av Rølvaag.Men jeg forsto ikke slutten?Jeg likte ikke Susie og Peder.For noen folk!Det er slik med hans bøker, han Rølvaag..Bøkene de ender alltid så rare?

Den gav liksom ingen mening Gikk han fra Susie eller ?Jeg håpet han ville velge Nikoline :)
Jeg leser også du skriver i kommentar feltet at du har gitt liv og tatt liv..Så forferdeligt det må være å tenke på. For deg. Det er vel det verste en kan gjøre å ta ett annens liv om jeg har forstått det riktig?
Eg håper alt går bra med deg i Amerika og din familie.Han Alexander er nå fullvaksinert først med Pfizer og nå med Moderna.Han er ellers kjekk og fin gutt.Pelle.Du husker hunden jeg er så glad i?Han er mye syk og jeg er lei meg på grunn av det
Ha det fint venn i Uniten :)

Fram Actual said...

This particular novel especially was interesting to me because I grew up in a small town where Lutherans and Catholics had a very distinct dividing line which neither side was allowed to cross. Our Lutheran pastor went so far as to publicly call Catholics "spawn of the devil." I more-or-less abandoned my Lutheran upbringing in a worship sense when I was 14 and, teenagers being teenagers, had no problem being close friends with anyone no matter their religion or political affiliation or whatever else.

My second former wife was Catholic and I was willing to convert and had conversations with two priests about it. One was a young, recently-ordained man from the Philippines who, by the end of our discussions, loudly and adamantly proclaimed, "Who am I to say God exists?" The other was an elderly priest who got up and left the room when I mentioned the name John Stuart Mill. I guess he saw me as a lost cause.

Our marriage ultimately failed, but not because of religion since it never really was part of our lives except as an academic subject. My understanding is that Ole Edvart Rølvaag planned a fourth book in the series to follow "Their Fathers' God" which, perhaps, might have answered your questions.

I suppose how understandable and entertaining Rølvaag's stories are depends upon an individual's interests and experiences. Personally, I think I am similar to Peder Holm in my views about religion, while I have two cousins who are Lutheran ministers. We agree to disagree.

Having grown up among some people only a generation removed from the "old country" .. and having an overabundance of innate curiosity .. and having walked in Rølvaag's footsteps in downtown Minneapolis and on the Dakota prairie seeing the same things he saw sort of brings the people and the times to life for me. I can see and hear them.

Anita writes: "I also read you write in the comment field that you have given life and taken life.. So awful it must be to think about. For you. That's probably the worst thing one can do to take someone else's life if I have understood it correctly?"

Fram replies: There are certain segments of my life I describe as "six drink topics," which translates into a requirement of having had at least six brandies before I will talk about them. Since I currently am a teetotaler, it might be some time before we discuss that.

In the meanwhile, jente i det fjerne nord, take care / be safe / put on a smile every morning / stay sweet / greet your "handsome and nice boy" / spend as much time as you are able with Pelle so he will feel the depth of your love for him ....

Something special ....