Saturday, October 16, 2021

Many here among us wonder if life is but a joke

"Remembering the past and imagining the future are hallmarks of mental time travel. We provide evidence that such experiences are influenced by individual differences in temporal and affective biases in cognitive style, particularly brooding rumination (a negative past-oriented bias) and optimism (a positive future-oriented bias)."

No, I did not write those words. They came from a 2018 psychological research report about a study of individual differences in mental time travel and in regard to the past and the future in daily life. I stumbled onto the report while trying to learn if there is a clinical definition/explanation for someone's mind bouncing randomly all over the map of their memories of their life experiences. I quickly read the report and then stumbled right back out of it.

I never did learn if there is a clinical definition/explanation for "it," so I turned instead to recollection of some of the concerts I have heard and a few of the songs which especially appeal to me.

Bobby Dylan wrote "All Along the Watchtower" and Jimi Hendrix made it famous. How many people have recorded it is anyone's guess. I have listened to numerous renditions and the one I believe, without question, is the best is the piece performed here by Howard Jarrett. He is a guitarist and singer/songwriter working out of Cheshire in the United Kingdom.

Known professionally as Howie G, this version was recorded while he was a member of The Classic Rock Show. He can do magic with a guitar, he is a gifted singer and -- best of all -- he enunciates the lyrics clearly and distinctly and understandably, eliminating any necessity for interpretation or for asking:

"What did he just say?"

By the way, I continue to be curious to learn "if there is a clinical definition/explanation for someone's mind bouncing randomly all over the map of their memories of their life experiences."

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated .... one of my daughters thinks my curiousity about this is because I am sort of "goofy" and the other daughter approves because she thinks it is healthy. "You literally are searching for answers to your questions about life and living instead of simply watching what passes for news on the 'idiot tube,'" she says with a sly smile, "which is healthy for you."

Hmmmm ....


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Did I know Bob Dylan wrote that? Probably, but I'd forgotten. This is a good version.

I've never thought of rumination as being negative. It was a favorite word of my (dear departed) sister and one I like, too. I find the older I get, the more I think back... and not in an unhealthy way. My husband and our oldest daughter (my fringe benefit of marrying him) think of themselves as "normal". The other two kids and I know that we're not. We are "different", and in differing ways. And that's not a bad thing.

Fram Actual said...

I once spent a few minutes trying to get the count on the number of songs Bobby Dylan has written. I recall the number approaches 400, most of which were unknown to me. Incidentally, I have seen his height listed as 6 feet 4 inches in a few places. I think 5 feet 8 inches on a good day is closer to reality. It would seem some think of him as a giant in more ways than with music ....

Early on, I came to identify you with the Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken," which, I think, is good. When I think of "normal" people, I think of something like fans at a football game cheering for a particular team. When I think of "different" people, I do not know what to think because the word implies many possibilities. I suppose I tend to identify "different" with "unique," which I definitely view as good.

The opening sentences of a report following an investigation of me once upon a time read like this: "It would seem everyone either loves him or hates him. There appears to be no middle ground." I never have been able to decide if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but it is an understandable thing and I have no wish to change it.

Philosophers, incidentally, often have debated the meaning of "good" and "bad" since they are human-made terms.

We are, among other things, the sum total of our experiences, I believe, which continue to evolve until a "finished product" is present upon our deaths and there can be no further experiences -- on Earth, anyway. I try to look at myself objectively and report all issues and accept whatever opinions and comments are the result and, hopefully, learn from them.

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for commenting. Take care, be safe, Happy Halloween, when it arrives, and we all should celebrate any unique qualities we might have ....

Anita said...

This was a difficult question you ask us! I think I did not quite understand it..Do you think about what we remember from our lives, possibly past lives? Or lives to come? If it is, it is, at least at a high level ,and no one can say anything about it, just thinking.
If it is, who we have been and are in our on ongoing life thats another question to think about ;)
What people think and decide we are ,is not always wht we belive we are

I agree with your children, who probably love you and want your best
I think you should not think so much. Rather live the life you have for better or worse.
The price for to live, is always death so enjoy it while you can
The music is great. Liked the lyrics well

"All Along The Watchtower"

"There must be some kind of way out of here"
Said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion
I can not get no relief

Who is playing guitar and singing here?

Fantastic played! Could almost believe it was Jimmy Hendrix himself
but one hears of the voice that it is not him
Have a good time in America .Enjoy yourself :)

A Cuban In London said...

I like Paul Weller's version a lot. Whilst I would never put it at the same level as Hendrix's, it is very good.

Greetings from London.

Fram Actual said...

Any references to experiences in this post are to experiences in this here and now life, Anita. Reincarnation and past lives absolutely are not factors in this particular equation. In the spirit of never-say-never, I would not rule out reincarnation as a possibility, but more-and-more I am inclined to think any "previous memories" are transmitted to us through genetic memory.

Now for the easy part: Howard Jarrett, whose stage name is Howie G and whose photograph is shown here with Bobby Dylan and Jimi Hendricks is the singer and lead guitarist of this piece.

Rather than repeat the reasons I mention in the post, I will simply say I think this is the best presentation of "All Along the Watchtower" -- better than Dylan and better than Hendrix or any other I have heard/seen. I am certain there are versions I have not heard, so I cannot say it is the best version, period. And, it might be better for me to say that this is the best rendition "in my opinion," which is -- most certainly -- the more accurate way to state it.

All right, jente i det fjerne nord, take good care of yourself and it would seem to me you are overdue for another post .... later ....

Fram Actual said...

Although I no longer recall when or why, CiL, I used this video before (and, probably others of this song, as well), and you commented at that time your preference for Paul Weller. I cannot remember how I responded back then, but today I will say since Weller was playing an acoustic in the version I just saw/heard, I cannot make a valid comparison to either Jimi Hendrix or Howie G with their electrics. How the singer of a song handles his guitar (if one is part of his performance) is at least one-half the battle, especially when involving vocalists noted for their guitar work.

I did like Weller's voice and the way he sang "All Along the Watchtower," but thought the voices of his backup singers were too stark and shrill for his voice and style.

Thank you, London dweller, for your appearance and your comment. Stay safe and be well and keep on bikin' and writin' ....

Something special ....