Monday, May 31, 2021

Gratias ago tibi, maiorum meus

Are his sword and his cap and the red, white and blue.

A day to remember & to honor

I have noted Memorial Day a few times here before, and do so again today wondering what I can say that I have not said in an earlier post.

I suppose all I can say is that I hope everyone will reach into their inner-most feelings to offer a sincere and a heart-felt thank you to each and every individual who has worn a uniform in defense of their country and a prayer for those whose lives were lost.

There are two film presentations here. One can accurately be described as an emblematic Memorial Day offering. It is commentary by James Mattis, a retired four-star, Marine Corps general and one time Secretary of Defense, and includes words from poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Semper Fidelis, Chaos ....

The poem, "Dulce et Decorum Est," by Wilfred Owen is here, as well, read by Tom O'Bedlam. The poem centers upon a chlorine gas attack during the "War to End All Wars." The title of the poem came from Ode 3.2 of the Roman poet Horace and the closing lines, "Dulce et decorum est  /  Pro patria mori," which translate to this: "It is sweet and honorable to die for the fatherland." Owen was killed in action on November 4, 1918, during the crossing of the Sambre–Oise Canal a week before the signing of the Armistice which ended the war.

Make of the poem what you will ....

Over the years, Memorial Day has evolved so that it also has become a time for remembering departed family members and ancestors, as well as for honoring members of the armed forces who demonstrated "freedom is not free." As you read this, I will be about 150 miles from my "camp" putting flowers on a few graves and thanking the occupants for being part of the chain which brought me into the world.

Gratias ago tibi, maiorum meus ....



4 comments:

Kelly said...

I don't know.... "soldier boy" is a common enough expression that I think it could just as easily be a spouse rather than a son.

On holidays such as this, I always hope that folks remember the true meaning for the day. Even though one hears "happy Memorial Day" from folks, it somehow doesn't seem to be the right greeting.

Fram Actual said...

As an unrepentant speculator, I try to look for reasonable options. I think the woman most likely is the widow, but think it is possible she might also be the mother.

I agree with you regarding the usual Memorial Day salutation, but cannot think of any other which might be more appropriate. Our "small town custom" was sunrise church services, an American Legion ceremony, visitation of cemeteries with family graves, a large dinner, an afternoon baseball game with a team from a neighboring town and an evening band concert. This seemed to be an appropriate blend of serious remembrance and pleasurable activities.

It always has been easy for me to remember the purpose of Memorial Day. My ancestors arrived in the United States in the 1850s and members, direct lineage and collateral, engaged in the Civil War and in every war, declared and undeclared, since that time.

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for commenting on my blog. This is an ideal day weather-wise in Minnesota, which makes it near-perfect for honoring and for enjoyment. Take care / be safe / be happy ....

Anita said...

Jaaa så du /dere er ute paa tur !

En fin post!

It is honorable to pay tribute to the fallen. They died in service .Voluntarily for their country. But they are not forgotten.I still keep thinking of poppy fields in France and Belgium. I do not think people understand this until they have experienced it themselves, to lose someone in war
I hope you had a nice walk in the beautiful weather-

Nice you laid flowers on the grave / graves

Pax Vobiscum

Fram Actual said...

I believe it is called a "long-weekend trip," Anita, although there is no reason at the moment it cannot be a long/long/long weekend trip.

Yes, whether an individual believes in war or not, anyone who is willing to fight for their country and to endure all the hardships and the pain and the anguish and the very real possibility of death is a special person in my eyes.

There have been a few military deaths among my family and friends, the most recent was a Marine killed in a friendly-fire incident on January 30, 1991, during the First Gulf War. There has been an attempted cover-up regarding it, which is sort of absurd since it happened during a live television broadcast during which U.S. choppers blasted a convoy of Bradley Fighting Vehicles on a night reconnaissance. He was the son of a second cousin and his grave was among those I visited.

There is one grave still waiting for me at Oakland Cemetery in Saint Paul. One of my ancestors was among a detachment of 2nd U.S. Cavalry troopers killed by Sioux and a few Cheyenne on or about July 2, 1867, in Kansas. His father brought the body back for burial here.

Essentially, there are two kinds of war: War of aggression and war for survival or, more simply, war for evil and war for good -- which, more-or-less, describes the extreme elements of humankind. Whoops .... drifting off on a tangent .... I think I will stop with that ....

Thank you, for your visit here and your comment here. Be well and safe and take care and peace be with you, too, young lady of the far north ....

Something special ....