Sunday, January 24, 2021

Stand by to stand by ....

Another time / another place / another incarnation or, more simply, whatever ....

"Once upon a time" does exist for each of us in our minds, in our memories. This photograph, taken from a video, is emblematic for one of my own "once upon a times." It shows two Marines walking down an empty street somewhere and sometime in the past carrying a United States flag between them -- which, to me, explains the quintessence of the Corps. The who, what, where, when, why and how of the scene is in a sense timeless because war has been going on forever and probably will continue to be that way. War is one of constants in this world because, I believe, it is inbred in us. 

Today is my anniversary for joining the Corps. I consider the episode to be one of my "incarnations" in this life -- an interlude of learning experiences and of what now exists only as memories, both bad and good.

One song accompanies this post. It is "Goodbye Horses," a 1987 song written by William Garvey and sung by Q Lazzarus. Garvey, who died at age 51 in 2009, wrote these words about his song: "The song is about transcendence over those who see the world as only earthly and finite. The horses represent the five senses discussed in the Bhagavad Gita and the ability to lift one's perception above these physical limitations and to see beyond this limited Earthly perspective." 

Makes sense to me ....

As for the singer, Q Lazzarus, she simply vanished. There were rumors that Q Lazzarus was a drug addict, involved in toxic, abusive relationships, had moved to London or even was dead. After decades of speculation, she "supposedly" turned up as a bus driver, Diane Luckey, age 55, on Staten Island. She said she was happy and content and wanted nothing more to do with the music business -- which I can appreciate -- and, I suppose, that the "Goodbye Horses" era simply was one among her "incarnations."

The song has been performed and recorded a number of times. In addition to the original version, I have included another by The Airborne Toxic Event.

The song sort of represents my present-day perspective about the Marine Corps.

Stand by to stand by, baby ....




8 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy USMC anniversary, Fram. I'd be willing to be my husband couldn't tell me what day he joined.

Fram Actual said...

A few factors were/are at work, Kelly. I usually am good with dates and faces; not good with names. A high school friend arrived unexpectedly on his way to Great Lakes Naval Training Center to begin recruit training. He accompanied me when I was sworn in and spent the night; it was the last time I saw him. It was a hectic and a memorable January, and I remember much of it. It was July, six months later, before I had to report, and that date I do not recall.

I will not take your bet, but ask him anyway for the fun of it ....

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for commenting ....

A Cuban In London said...

I really dig The Airborne Toxic Event. Heard them on Radio Paradise many years ago and I got hooked on their sound. :-)

Greetings from London.

Fram Actual said...

Yes, CiL, I like the Toxic Airborne Event's music very much and think the members have excellent "stage presence." I listened to a couple of interviews with members and they seem to really have "their act together." I liked the way Mikel Jollett said they started out as an "art project pretending to be a band" and former member Anna Bulbrook, who is a classically trained violinist, said words to the effect even if it is not fun practicing the violin, "keep doing it because eventually it will be fun" and how she really enjoys the "performance aspect" of being in a rock band.

I see you have a rather lengthy piece regarding your experience with Covid 19. I need time to read it thoroughly before writing a comment .... and, I will do so ....

Anita said...

Fin usikk selv om jeg aldri har hørt gruppen før

Det er fint du skriver om tiden du likte så godt selv om den nu er ett minne på godt og vondt.Jeg håper du lærte mye fra den tiden.Ja ,det er alltid krig en plass i verden.Jeg tro det ligger latent i oss som du sier,mye ,hat misunnelse og begjær etter makt tror jeg er det som starter det.Blant ledere og andre maktmennesker.Jeg tror at så lenge det fins mennesker blir det aldri slutt med krig desverre

Alt godt til deg og dine!

Anita

Fram Actual said...

The first time I recall hearing "Goodbye Horses" was in the film, "The Silence of the Lambs." I like the song, very much, and I like the way Q Lazzarus and Airborne perform it.

There are many adjectives I would apply to my time in the Marine Corps. Enjoyment is not one I would use in an overall sense. Educational/beneficial/interesting are more apropos. A good many people do come to enjoy it, mostly because it becomes a "home" for those who have not had one and for those who need to exist within a set of tightly-structured rules and codes.

As for "war on earth," there are many people who believe they know what is best not only for themselves, but for others and will not tolerate differences among individuals. Those types, I think, are the most dangerous to a system of peace and tranquility and a semblance of equality.

So, Ms. Bergen .... I wish all the best to you and to yours .... keep your camera in hand when you set out in the woodlands or in the city .... ta vare og vær trygg ....

Anita said...

Ohh so the music was from the silence of the lambs!
I could not remember it !Will take a look once more :)

Thank you for nice note on my blog!
When darkness is all around there is much good comfort in those words of yours

Have you been vaccinated?

Hope all is well ?

Hilsen fra Norge

Fram Actual said...

My apologies, Ms. Norway .... I just now noticed your comment here. I have the blog rigged so that comments placed here a certain amount of time after publication require a "look-see" from me. The "new system" is not conductive for alerting bloggers about late comments, and I have become complacent checking back routinely. Again, my apologies ....

No, I have not had the vaccination. There are many reassurances from governments and manufacturers that any ill-effects after the vaccinations are not caused by the vaccines, but I am a "wait-and-see" individual -- in most regards -- so that is what I am doing now.

Yes, the song is playing during the "Buffalo Bill" dance ....

As for you, Anita, take care and stay safe and be patient with me -- especially in regard to the sea of blogs and comments on it ....

Something special ....