Thursday, January 21, 2021

"Reincarnating" a piece of 2009 .... No. 2

Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, a French playwright and actor and poet and writer known by his stage name, Molière, wrote these words in "Le Sicilien ou L'Amour peintre" (The Sicilian, or Love the Painter), a play which opened on Valentine's Day in 1667: "To inspire love is a woman's greatest ambition, believe me. It's the one thing woman care about and there's no woman so proud that she does not rejoice at heart in her conquests."

(Editor's Note: Being naturally lazy and preferring many of my early posts over many of my recent posts, I have pulled two from 2009 and running them once again. Incidentally, this is not my photograph. I obtained it from a guy named Carl .... and, I will warn you that this post, which appeared shortly after Easter Sunday back then, is not exactly what it would seem to be. If you are in the mood, see if you can figure out what is specious about it. To this end, I pose the question: How much truth is behind the cliché that one person's fantasy is another person's reality? As comedian and actor and writer Fred Willard said on at least one occasion: "I'm having fun with you now.")

I think I am in love, but where did she go?

Have you seen this woman? I was out for a bite to eat earlier today and she walked into the restaurant. All the tables were full, mostly with the Easter Sunday after-church crowd. She walked over to my table and asked if I would mind her company.

You actually think I would say no?

We ordered, we ate, we talked for maybe an hour after finishing the meal. She said she was going to a movie, and asked me if I wanted to come with her.

You actually think I would say no?

As we walked from the restaurant, I dropped my newspaper and bent to pick it up. When I looked back, she was gone. I mean gone, as in vanished. I looked for her outside, went back inside, then outside again, and waited for 17 or 23 minutes. She was gone.

She said her name was Norma Jeane. I did not catch her last name. If you see her, give me a call and let me know where she is, will you? I am in the mood for an afternoon at the movies.


6 comments:

Kelly said...

"Goodbye Norma Jeane"....

Fram Actual said...

To begin, thank you, Kelly, for the comment and for taking a run at it.

"Goodbye, Norma Jeane," would make a good caption for the photograph and title for the story, but is not what I had in mind. In fact, if I did not know what I had in mind, I would not have a clue what to look for in it. I do not think I will say any more now in case someone else is daring enough to give it a try.

Kelly said...

If anything, you've left me with a nice ear worm.

Fram Actual said...

I am not certain if you are referring to Ms. Ross and "Love Child" or to something else, but if you pay close attention to her performance you will notice there is something different about it including her saying a word which is not part of the lyrics while making a gesture toward the audience.

No, my intent is not to send anyone running for an exit. I simply try to pay close attention to my surroundings and try to pick up on the inconspicuous, and encourage others to do so, too.

Thank you, Kelly, for the return visit ....

P.S. I like both your puzzles ....

Kelly said...

Elton John. The opening line to Candle in the Wind.

My brain is sometimes foggy and I miss things. I'll have to watch the video more closely.

I've got another (fairly easy) dog puzzle on the go, hopefully to share soon.

Fram Actual said...

Never been a "follower" of Elton John, so I essentially am unfamiliar with his repertoire. "Tiny Dancer" is the only song of his which I can name, although I like others when I hear them, as well. I do see your point, though ....

I am not ready to say more about the post yet, but I will note that someone in the audience apparently affected Ms. Ross and "Love Child," and that shortly after 2:25 she motions as if to wipe a tear from beneath her eye and audibly says "stop" to that someone in the audience. She repeats the tear wipe motion a few times as the song goes on. My speculation is that when the two musicians appear by her side and she walks away, they are "rescuing" her from her emotional self. Somewhere in the background out of sight, she later sings again, but then the backup singers move to the front to complete the number. Sort of a "the show must go on" thing ....

Speculation is such fun ....

Anything related to puppy guys -- young or old -- is a winner with me ....

Thank you, once again, Kelly ....

Something special ....