Thursday, December 31, 2020

So long, 2020 .... it has been good to know you

This is the Christmas ornamentation which has adorned my dining room table throughout the holiday season. It is, to me, sort of an elegance reflected through simplicity. As Emily Dickinson wrote: "How happy is the little stone .... In casual simplicity ...."

Happy New Year ....

Given the negatives of 2020 when compared to the positives, on the surface the headline here might seem a bit out of place.

Allow me to explain.

Someone once said words to this effect. "Any year you have seen from start to finish is a good year in my book."

Well, I agree, it is. The year has been a good one in my book, too.

Incidentally, my gift to you is having blocked comments, so you are able to arrive and to depart without a second thought.

Four videos are offered today for you to pick and choose among -- or, if you wish, to ignore. Read whatever symbolism you will into that.

The first is Bon Jovi performing "New Year's Day." It is no secret I like the band and its music, and I like Jon-boy even better because his mama and his poppa met when they both were in the Marine Corps. I did use this video to greet the New Year once before, and probably will again. My body is landlocked in the middle of the North American continent, but the visuals reveal where my mind and spirit wish to be ....

The second is Diana Ross and the Supremes performing "I Hear a Symphony." There is a story about a man being asked back in the 1960s which girl group he liked most. His reply was: "The only girl group, the Supremes." Asked the same question in 2020, his reply was: "Still the only girl group, the Supremes." Some might argue that point .... I will not.

The third is Gabriella Quevedo performing a Kiss piece, "I Was Made for Lovin' You." The only other Kiss song I like is "Forever." It undoubtedly is the melody of both and probably is the concept of longevity expressed in the lyrics which appeal to me. I chose this version because Gabriella knows her way around a guitar.

Rounding out the selections is David Bowie and his crew performing "All The Young Dudes" 20 years ago at Glastonbury. I did see and was dazzled by his Glass Spider show way back when, and have never seen another anytime/anywhere/or with anyone to match it. No further explanation will be offered ....

As we move from 2020 to 2021, enjoy this final day of this strange and unique year .... I hope and trust the coming year will be and will have been a "good year" for you and for those you love when we bid it fare thee well 12 months from now ....





3 comments:

Anita said...

Så trist du har blokkert kommentarer!Men jeg forstår det godt..Jeg gjør jo det selv..Kan ikke sitte her på bloggen hele tiden og det er noen ganger merkelige svar fra fremmede!

Jeg syns det første bilde er veldig fint.Enkelhet er det beste !Det mer en har jo mer, ønsker jo en seg..En deprimerende sirkel.Fra ett annet ståsted /teori-har en kansje valgt livet en lever selv?I en annen tid, i en annen verden, en annen galaxe.Tenk bare min venn ,så rart dette bekjentskapet er som har vart i ti år snart?Jeg er sikker på at vi har vært venner i ett tidligere liv :)Om noe slikt eksisterer

Jeg takker deg for all din musikk.Desverre kan vi ikke se dem her i Norge men jeg liker David Bowies All the young dudes!

Ønsker deg fortsatt en fin tid fremover.At vaksinen kommer til deg og at du kan "leve" igjen.Jeg leser "20.2 million cases of infection and 350,778 deaths in the 3 o'clock Norwegian time night to Thursday" Terrible!.

Ok my friend .Whatever you feel it will pass.Be happy always !One cant do anything else can we?Besides ,to let our brain be sad,worried ,grasping after things or attachments,lower ones immune system..So we must be positive!I try for myself everyday!hehe hehe not easy but I try!I try to think wider perspective.

Your friend in Norway Anita

May all your dreams come true

Kelly said...

Umm... I thought you said you blocked comments. I'm glad you didn't so I can once again wish you a very happy new year!

Fram Actual said...

Dummy here meant to block the comments, but went his merry way without actually doing so .... my apologies .... I will block them momentarily ....

Happy New Year ....

Something special ....