Tuesday, December 29, 2020

I have no idea why this is here

                              Allen Ginsberg and friend .... 
            Two strays contemplating the mysteries of life ....

Thoughts .... as 2020 fades into history

Allen Ginsburg was many things to many people. His name should be familiar to most, if not to all. While he was a student at Columbia University in the 1940s, he became friends with William Burroughs and Jack Kerouac. Of the three, Kerouac's name most likely is the most familiar. Kerouac wrote, "On the Road," among other things. The three evolved into the core of the so-called Beat Generation of the 1950s. Ginsburg has been dead since April 1997. He obviously is alive when this photograph is taken, so it obviously was taken before that date. It also is a black & white shot, which might demonstrate it once appeared in a publication. It also is a photograph of a photograph, which would seem to indicate it is my photograph.

I am not going to say when or where or under what circumstances this photograph was taken other than point out Ginsberg is sitting on the floor in a hallway waiting for something or someone, and that the dog is not his .... other than those things, the story behind the photograph will remain among the unanswered questions in this maze of life. I will say straight up I am not an admirer of the man, Ginsberg, but think he was a complicated and an interesting individual, and the poetry he wrote is worth reading.

For the curious and more daring among you, I would suggest reading, "Howl," written in 1955-56 in San Francisco and considered a literary classic in the sense that it broke through cultural barriers and challenged the American establishment. The operative word here is "suggest," not recommend. "Howl" is a rambling social commentary which often centers on the fringes of society -- poets, artists, radicals, homosexuals and the mentally ill -- to convey deep frustration, joy and energy.

There is a possible subliminal reason for having a post today. If that were the case, it would be to mention a lengthy article about former Saint Paul newsman and present-day writer Kermit Pattison and his first book, "Fossil Men: The Quest for the Oldest Skeleton and the Origins of Humankind." The article is by Mary Ann Grossmann. She is retired from the Saint Paul Pioneer Press, but still keeps her hand in by coordinating and interviewing and reporting book news. Reading her lengthy, detailed article is something I do recommend.

My December 12 post was about Pattison and his book and the subject of his book is "Ardi," a 4.4 million-year-old Ardipithecus ramidus in the process of evolving from Hominid into Hominin. "Her" fossil remains were found in Ethiopia's Afar rift valley and excavated between 1994 and 1997. It took Pattison eight years researching and writing to produce the book.

To paraphrase and partially quote a Grossman statement from Pattison,  he had to learn and understand all the sciences involved (at least eleven of them, by my count) and then "'disengage and write in a way that an intelligent lay person could read and comprehend. I had to span two worlds; making it a faithful look at science through a lens accessible to everyday readers.'"

I do have a copy of the book and, theoretically, I will read it cover-to-cover and write another post about it in more detail and, undoubtedly, with more opinion.

Included here are four videos, one with Ginsberg talking about Bobby Dylan and the other with Ginsberg and Dylan at Kerouac's grave in Lowell, Massachusetts .... and, two regarding Ardi, one with general information and one featuring author Pattison.

Carry on, if and as you so wish, baby ....

https://www.twincities.com/2020/12/27/st-paul-authors-fossil-men-is-a-tale-of-discovery-thats-anything-but-old-and-dry/





6 comments:

Anita said...

Hih Hih First I have to thank you for the nice comment on you last post.."Sjefsdamen" !!Nei !!Jeg er ikke noen sjef !Jeg er heller den søte lille som vil alle andres vel og ve :)

You have a nice post here today but I dont know anything about that Ginsberg so I had to google him "What is the summary of Howl by Allen Ginsberg?
Howl by Allen Ginsberg: Summary and Critical Analysis. Howl is a social commentary and revolutionary manifesto of Beats generation. The poem relies on linguistic grandeur, operatic catalogs, obscene references, and rambling digressions. The poem is in elegiac tone; the tone of mourning.
I also found it interesting about his personal life and his devotion to Tibetan Buddishm (that is a science religion and seperates from other Buddhism .Even if one is a Christian, it may be interesting to read other theories. Tibetan Buddhism is more like Mindfulness meditation and the most popular of the sutras is The Heart Sutra, The perfection of wisdom, )

I have to think about why you choose this post, the second meaning,surely Allen Ginsberg was one of the leading icons of the Beat movement

Thank you for this post today as we move into a new year 2021!

My day will be doing laundry listening to Randy Crawford Knockin' On Heavens Door https://youtu.be/gc2evYUddrY

Ønsker deg Ett Godt Nyttår !

Anita

Liplatus said...

He is not a poet familiar to me, I have sometimes seen a photo and name.

I don't know the "howl" poem. Reminiscent of Norwegian painter Edvard Munch. He has a painting "howl".
I think the Munch painting is called more "crying." :)
I am weak in these verbal expressions.

Lunttas' "Howl" is one of America's greatest literary works.
The picture you took. Old photographs are a sense of valuable treasures.

Is Aleksis Kivi familiar?

Health and Happiness for the New Year 2021!

Kelly said...

Despite being familiar with Allen Ginsburg and with Howl, I've never read it or anything else by him. I'm pretty picky when it comes to poetry and my taste leans more towards poets like Mary Oliver or Ted Kooser.

I've not read Kerouac's On the Road, either. I use to feel guilty about all the "classics" (a word that can be loosely defined) I've not read, but have reached a point in life where I don't care anymore. I read what I want to read and try to be selective in that since I hate abandoning a book.

If we don't "speak" again before the end of the year, "Happy New Year", Fram!

Fram Actual said...

Actually, Anita, to me the "fossil work" going on has the potential of being more significant than Allen Ginsberg or the Beat Generation or just about anything, particularly in relation to understanding life and especially about its origins and specifically in the context of the "march of humankind."

But, my purpose with the bit about Mary Ann Grossman's article in relation to Kermit Pattiman and his book was simply to make mention of them, so I decided to tag them onto a bit about something else, in this instance the something else was to the "prophet" Ginsberg. I recently reread "Howl," and it and he were bouncing around in my mind.

By the way, the segment about "Howl" in your comment is very good. I would also mention that to Ginsberg and, more so, to Jack Kerouac, the "Beat" movement was religious in nature. Kerouac more than once tried to explain he was "Beat" because he believed in "beatitude," the concept of "bliss." It was the media, he and others claimed, who watching the antics of idiots with their berets, sun glasses and bongo drums who gave it the look of goofiness.

It would require enough words to fill a few books and a doctorate in a few disciplines to explain the Fifties and the Sixties in the United States, Anita, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to mount such an effort. My "era" with those things came and went with my college boy years when I was reading and discussing as much as I could regarding major religions, as well as mythologies (which I prefer to call religions), and obscure and/or obsolete beliefs. I would refer you to Will Durant and Joseph Campbell and a few others for more information.

Hmmmm .... you are the "boss lady" as far as your patients are concerned, as well as the "sweet little one who wants the well-being of everyone" -- and, I am sure you are capable of being both ....

To you, Ms. Bergen, I offer your own words: Ønsker deg Ett Godt Nyttår!

Fram Actual said...

I am familiar with Edvard Munch and his paintings, but was not with Aleksis Kivi until you sent his name. Taking a quick look, Liplatus, I think he is a writer it would do well for me to learn more about and to read some of his stories and plays and poetry. Reading some quotes from, "Seven Brothers," it is clear his writing is lyrical and poetic, a style I enjoy.

The lives of many individuals with an artistic bent are cut short, as was the life of Kivi. Among the unanswerable questions is what works (if any) these people might have accomplished had they lived longer lives.

When I write that I expect "most" are familiar with the name Allen Ginsberg, I am writing with my fingers crossed. If I were not a student of writing and history, I probably would not know of him. There are too many "key" individuals alive today and from times past for a person to have even a breath of knowledge about them and their lives and their work.

Learning should be a lifelong process, I believe, and the study of history nearly as relevant as knowledge of current events ....

The photograph of Ginsberg might possibly be worth a few dollars someday, but he was such a public person that the number of photographs of him must be near countless. In the meanwhile, it serves as a memory of one of the more interesting evenings in my life.

I return your words as my wish for you, Liplatus: Health and Happiness for the New Year 2021!

Fram Actual said...

"On the Road" was required reading for one of the American literature classes I took as a college boy. The best part of the book for me was the last page. If you read it (the last page), you might understand why, Kelly.

I never became a Jack Kerouac aficionado, like many others have, but believe reading "Road" was "good for me," especially reading it at the point of my life I happened to be at. I also read "The Dharma Bums" and "Big Sur," but do not think they really were worth the time when compared to many other books.

Allen Ginsberg is more interesting as a person than the stuff he writes, in my opinion. "Howl" is a product of the times it was written in, and I question its stature in academia. I think Ginsberg read it / recited it well, but I cannot get into it reading it myself. I might add that I feel pretty much the same about Bobby Dylan.

I am not familiar with either Mary Oliver or Ted Kooser, but I am curious enough to make a run at them.

If I abandon a book, it usually is within the first 20 or 30 pages. Once upon a time it bothered me, mostly because I hate to quit anything I start, but now I can do it without a second thought.

Happy New Year to you and to your family, Kelly. I wish you good health and good fortune in every way ....

Something special ....