Wednesday, May 1, 2019

To read or to reread -- that is the question

Four books to reread this month ....
After five days, the blog will "disappear" again
In addition to the tales told between the covers of a book, each book in itself has a story to tell of its travels and of the people who have held it and read it. Since I have committed myself to reread Ole Edvart Rölvaag's, "The Boat of Longing," and to write about it during the month of May, I have decided to select some others for rereading. Among them are these:
"In Our Time," by Ernest Hemingway.
"The Motorcycle Diaries," by Ernesto "Che" Guevara
"Mythago Wood," by Robert Holdstock
My congratulations to those who have heard of these four books, with particular good wishes to those who have read them.
The oldest actual copy I have of any of them is that of Rölvaag's "Boat."  The inscription within it reads: "Congratulations for your graduation .. Aunt Grace .. 1935." I try to picture Aunt Grace and the unnamed recipient in my mind, and my imagination creates images of a studious young man and a woman with an elderly, aging face. This copy is from the sixth printing of the 1933 edition; it is the first edition in English of the 1921 Norwegian version,"Længselens Baat." From the foreword written by Rölvaag:
"To those who may review this series of moving pictures I wish to say: It is not 'types' which are drawn here. It is merely humankind. 'Types' do not interest me greatly; the older I become the more I doubt the existence of such individuals. But I am interested in human beings. And there will scarcely be a life history which it would not be interesting to look at if it were singled out for scrutiny. Human portraiture has no end. It is manifold and inexhaustible as life itself."
I will save my other observations and thoughts for another day and another post. Rölvaag died in 1931, a few days after a heart attack. He was 55 years old.
Ernesto "Che" Guevara was a 23-year-old medical student when he and a friend, Alberto Granado, a 29-year-old biochemist, left Buenos Aires, Argentina, in January 1952,  on a motorcycle to spend nine months traveling more than 5,000 miles through Argentina, Chile, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and Panama. Che also spent a month in Miami, Florida, where he worked as a waiter and a dishwasher in a bar.
During the South American venture, Che and Alberto worked a few weeks in a leper colony in Peru. He describes how there were no clothes, almost no food and no medication for the lepers, and wrote: "All the love and caring just consist on coming to them without gloves and medical attire, shaking their hands as any other neighbor and sitting together for a chat about anything or playing football with them." On one occasion, Che swam across the Amazon River, a distance of two and one-half miles at that point, to dance with a woman who was a leper.
"Motorcycle Diaries," is a memoir of that journey, in which, by its end, Che had formed a conception of a borderless, united, Hispanic-America sharing a common "mestizo" bond. His daughter, Aleida Guevara, wrote that one result of the journey was that Che became aware poor people needed his strength and persistence to bring social change more than his scientific knowledge as a doctor and he evolved from being a medical student into an iconic revolutionary.
Che, I assume most people are aware, was instrumental in Fidel Castro's takeover of Cuba and fought in Africa and South America before being eventually tracked down and captured and "murdered" in Bolivia on October 9, 1967, by a Bolivian army / CIA "task force." He was 39 years old. The memoir originally was published in Spanish in Cuba in 1993 as, "Notas de viaje;" my copy came into being in 1995 in London.
"In Our Time," is a collection of seventeen Ernest Hemingway short stories, most notably, "Big Two-Hearted River," in two segments. Although there is a river in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan by that name, Hemingway's fishing trip after his return from World War I as told in the story actually was on the Fox River near Seney. I literally walked in Ernie's footsteps using his story as a guide .... once upon a time. Hemingway killed himself with a shotgun in 1961. He was 61. The book originally was published in 1925; my copy is a 1950 edition which once graced the shelves of a public library in Wolf Point, Montana. How many people read it then and there?
I first read, "Mythago Wood," when it appeared as a novella of the same name in the September 1981 edition of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. I was so enthused by it that I bought an extended version in novel form when it appeared in 1984. I periodically go back and reread it or portions of it.
The woodland of the story has been described as an "abyssal chthonic resonator" because it creates and is home to myth-images, or "mythagos," who are living creatures including animals, monsters and humans generated from the ancient memories and myths within the subconscious of nearby human minds. The book is regarded highly because of its exploration of philosophical/spiritual/psychological themes.
Author Robert Holdstock was an English novelist, primarily of fantasy and mythic fiction, who died from an E. coli infection at age 61 in 2009. I have a few of his books, and think this one is the best of the lot.
The battle for me always has been how much time for reading new material vs. how much time for rereading. The same is true, in a lesser extent, for films and for music .... new vs. one more time.
Two musical videos accompany this post: One is the German electronic rock band Tangerine Dream performing the song, "Confrontation" .... calming/soothing music to me; good music to have playing in your head during a gunfight. The other piece is dedicated mainly to self-anointed studs .... it is 17-year-old Lesley Gore (no relation to Al, I do not believe) singing, "You Don't Own Me," way, way back in 1963.
Well .... I will block the blog in five days and return when I have something written about Ole and his boat ....

----------------------------------------






6 comments:

Anita said...

Great post !I love the books but have only knowledge to Rølvaag.
It must be a strange feeling holding such old books in Your hands.Think of all those who has been Reading them!Ernest Hemingway I will look for..Think I have some old books of him as well..
I have just been Reading The Last Jew of Treblinka: A Memoir by Chil Rachman..Grusome book..and I had to take several pauses just to think of something else..

But as Vassili Grossman said#Selv når den er grusom må forfatteren fortelle sannheten og leseren må kjenne den.Å snu seg bort,lukke øynene og gå utenom,er å håne minnet til de som døde"

Ohh that Tangerine Band.My time goes back to those psycadelly days..Yes it is good Music and wasnt Mike Oldfield in that band?

For me watching the latest episode of Game of Trones..Wow..I just love the Music..Specially this one Truth - Ramin Djawadi (Season 7 Soundtrack) [official] and Game of Thrones S8 - The Night King - Ramin Djawadi ..


So bye bye for now my friend
..
Glad you think of me aswell..Sometimes..

Anita

Fram Actual said...

I have come to the point of my life where I do not read anything having to do with Nazi atrocities during World War II or watching any documentaries about them. I guess the older I get, the softer I become -- both mentally and physically. Today I had my eyes checked and finally threw in the towel regarding glasses: No one can withstand the passage of time, I finally have admitted to myself .... well, sort of admitted, anyway, since the glasses are only for parttime use ....

Yes, I agree with your Vasily Grossman. A writer must always write the truth, no matter how cruel or horrific. It is up to the reader to decide if he wishes to read the words or not read them. I always have read the words and usually still do read them, but I have decided my brain has read and has known so much that it is in danger of overload and my future "dosages" must be in moderation.

Tangerine Dream is not a band I was familiar with, Anita. I was watching a film and I liked the soundtrack and decided to find out the name of the band -- a bit of research turned up Tangerine Dream. I listened to some of the band's stuff and liked it, so I picked the song I liked best from among those I had listened to and used it with the post. I am really bad about remembering names, so I took a look for the guy you mentioned: Edgar Froese began the group in 1967 and dropped out in 2015. Mike Oldfield is not listed among members, past or present.

I have not watched the Game of Thrones since its first year, and then I only saw some of the episodes. You are making me curious, though, especially about the music. I think I will have to check into that element.

Take care, Anita, and be safe. I am glad you found this post and came to visit me and to write a note for me. It was a gray day outside today, but you are like sunshine and brighten the world for me ....

Smareis said...

Boa noite Fram!
Enfim consegui acessar seu blog. Ontem quando tentei acessar mais não consegui.
O problema quando a gente dar pausa no blog é que da um desânimo de voltar, mas quando a gente gosta de blogger a gente sempre volta a atualizar o blog.
São muitos livros o que você está querendo ler num mês. Quatro livros muito grossos devem ter muitas páginas. Eu adoro ler, mas ando um pouco desanima pra leitura e escrita. Minha inspiração não anda muito aguçada ultimamente, por isso nem estava escrevendo no blog. Espero que logo eu volte a escrever com mais frequência no blog. Esse tempo eu acabei criando um grupo de frases e mensagens, e isso me tirou um pouco do tempo no blog. As vezes participar desses grupos consome muito tempos pois precisamos estar escrevendo todos os dias no grupo. Os livros com uma boa história sempre vira novela ou filme. Eu gosto de ler livros que virou filme, sempre comparo qual história ficou melhor.
Eu gostei muitos das musicas do vídeo, não conhecia nenhum dos dois.
Eu não consegui entrar com o e-mail que uso pra fazer comentários do meu blog. Consegui só com esse.
Desejo muitas coisas boas pra você. Espero que você não feche seu blog pra sempre. Vou responder seu e0mail essa semana.
Boa semana e um ótimo mês de maio.
Envio muitos sorrisos.
Vou voltar com mais calma pra reler suas postagens.

Fram Actual said...

I always have thought of myself as a "heavy reader," Smareis, although I know many people who seem to read books at the same speed they breathe. My own habit for a number of years was around three books a week, but that has slowed to three or four a month. As a college boy, I would measure my reading in hours and would consume books like Herman Melville's, "Moby Dick," and Fyodor Dostoevsky's, "The Brothers Karamazov," in a weekend.

I have a habit similar to your own regarding books and films. If I have not read a book or a screen play when I see a film that is of particular interest to me, I will try to obtain the written version to read and compare the two. It is not usual, but there are times when I find the film the more compelling of the two, which is one reason I think of film-making as a potential form of actual art.

My blog has lost much of its glitter and gold for me, but I am not ready to abandon it completely. We shall see what the future brings and, in any case, I would not delete what is here and I would allow it to drift aimlessly in the unseen atmosphere of the internet.

I am both busy (unusual) and lazy (usual) today, so I will keep this reply to your comment short. It is said there will be snow in Minnesota tonight, which adds a touch of depression and a bit of irritability to the mix, as well. What can I say other than "uffff" ....

I still hope to write a comment for your post. It seems to be more than a coincidence that you wrote what you wrote and I just attended the graduation ceremony for one of my "progeny" last week. She received her Master of Science degree from the University of Nebraska and will be moving on to the University of Idaho working toward her Ph.D. By the way, she seldom is seen without a stack of books next to her.

Thank you, for your visit and your comment and your smiles, Smareis. You are a true treasure and I wish you and those you love good fortune in every manner possible ....

A Cuban In London said...

Congrats on your daughter's achievement.

Re the books, sorry, I saw the name Guevara and couldn't carry on. I hope you understand. :-)

Greetings from London.

Fram Actual said...

The young lady has all the attributes to lead an enjoyable and beneficial and good life, which is to say intelligence, education, physical attractiveness, an inquisitive mind and .. and .. and .... well, enough about that for now. All she needs are good health and good fortune to travel with her.

Yes, CiL, I entirely understand your position about Che. Once upon a time, I had associations with people who had been active in the hunt for him and in his ultimate demise, and fully endorsed the actions. Of course, once upon a time I fully endorsed the Marine Corps, too, and I could relate stories about the Corps which would match the worst tales about Ernesto. Times change and I like to think I change, too -- or, at least, modify my positions. I also would like to believe what he wrote in his book; I doubt I ever will, but he was a fascinating individual and I think his book deserves another reading. Forever curious ....

Thank you, CiL, for coming and for reading and for writing here.

Something special ....