Tuesday, May 21, 2019

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

                                                               Images courtesy American Swedish Institute
The most negative element about concerts (for me, anyway) is that they almost always are a singular event -- a certain day, a certain time, a certain place -- which means you must adjust your schedule and your time if you want to attend. The best thing about an exhibition (for me, anyway) is that there is a period of time -- usually at least days and sometimes months -- in which the individual (in this case me) can pick his own day and time to attend. Unfortunately an exhibition most often stays in one place and the individual must go to it rather than it come to him -- but, we cannot have everything the way we want it .... right?
Trying to avoid creating another dispute (there are so many divides these days: abortion, race relations, gender argument, on and on ad infinitum) as an individual primarily of Norwegian descent, I will cross the line which sometimes exists to promote and to attend a Swedish Viking exhibition which began last week and continues through October 27. It is under way at the Swedish American Institute in Minneapolis.
Straight from a press release: The exhibition is a collection of Viking paraphernalia that has never been outside of Scandinavia until this year. Many items in it are around 1400 years old, with Viking helmets, swords and weapons for attack and defense, as well as jewelry, glass vessels, bowls and other objects with magical importance. The relics tell stories both about the society and the people buried with them.
The exhibits are divided into thematic sections on Viking warfare, maritime trade, a ship burial, Norse gods, the Baltic Sea and geo-political relationships to other cultures. New light is shed on how early Viking society was organized, the role of women and the development of maritime innovation that enabled the Vikings to reach faraway lands in the East and the West.
I might add it is beginning to look doubtful that I will be able to produce a post this month about Ole and his Boat as I said I would. I have not even begun a reread of the novel, "The Boat of Longing." I continuously am getting sidetracked, mostly by other books, for instance one I was unaware of until a few days ago by H.G. Wells entitled, "Things to Come." It was written by Wells as his vision/predictions about the future between 1933 and 2106. Some hits; some misses. I am tempted to write a post about the book while it still is fresh in my memory, and probably will do just that.
By the way, this is another post which will be visible to any and to all for two days only before it seeks temporary shelter behind the curtains:
Time flies whether you are having fun or not ....




8 comments:

Fram Actual said...

Anita .... I am opening up the blog to the public for a few hours and hope you notice this. Evidently, when an invitation is offered it must be accepted in the email address to which it is offered. It might be more complicated than that, but send me the email address you currently are actually using and I will send the invitation to it. If that does not work, I will have to do a bit of research .... do not worry about being blocked .... I would never do that .... take care ....

Anita said...

Fram.Tusen tusen takk!Jeg oppdaget for noen dager siden at jeg ikke kunne se bloggen din.Veldig fint å se den igjen
Liker godt dette innlegget ditt
Spennende med den nye boken av George Orwell.Den er populær også i Norge akkuratt nå!.Når jeg ser Vikingevideoen..Får jeg lyst å dra på utstilling.Du må gå og se den!Unike gjenstander fra den perioden.Jeg håper min kommentar lar seg gjennomføre.Har litt problemer med det.Forstår ikke hva jeg gjør galt med innloggingen.Håper alt er bra med deg og dine.Du har en veldig søt datter.Nydeligt ansikt og så flink!Vel da seest vi!Beklager dette ble på norsk.Anita

Fram Actual said...

Actually, I do not think the problem is solved yet, Anita. My blog currently is open to any and to all who come. I wish to have it closed to the general public for a while. For you to have anytime/all-the-time access I will send you an invitation and you must reply to it using your current email address -- not change it to some other address. When this has been done, I will close the blog again. I will send the invitation momentarily and hope you see it and reply soon ....

Do not worry about leaving comments in Norwegian. Do so, whenever that is convenient for you .... take care ....

Anita said...

Thank you I have done so as you said.I dont know if I can write comments..but I enjoy very much reading your post from the start.of the blog..as I have said before..You should make a book of the blog..I also håve made a little blog..just to keep in contact with close friends on the net..You might like my russians icons..you know..I am a sort of collector..like old things..click on my name and I think it will pop up..Ok..See you and glad I can read your blog.Means alot to me.

Anita said...

https://closeupof.blogspot.com/?m=1

Fram Actual said...

This is part of the message I received from the blogs: "The purpose of this message is to inform you that your invitation to anitagrinde@hotmail.com was accepted, but using a different email address."

I will resend the invitation because I anticipate you still will be blocked. Either accept the invitation via that email address or give me the correct email address to use. After a while, I will again shut down my blog to public traffic. If you cannot gain access, send me an email and we will take it from there.

Are you confused yet? I sure am, but I am also laughing about it .... take care ....

Anita said...

Hih hih..I am confused yes!
Hope it will be allright now
Goodnight from Bergen Norway

Fram Actual said...

Well, Anita, I am not sure if it is premature to say all is well that ends well, but it seems to be that way.

I did visit your new blog for a while, and will return to it during my tomorrow. And, yes, I do like your Russian icons. There often are times I think of buying Greek and Russian Orthodox religious items because so many are attractive to my eyes and because so many are actual art to my way of thinking. But, I do refrain because I prefer to travel as light as I possibly can and, especially between books and firearms, I already have many more possessions than I am comfortable owning.

I will tell you in advance that I plan to have another post on Thursday, May 30, but none between today and then. Now, you know when to look. In the meanwhile, take care and think of me now and then and stay out of mischief .... good night, Anita, sweet dreams ....

Something special ....