Thursday, March 21, 2019

Why this post?

Here we have a late Nineteenth Century photograph of Deadwood, South Dakota, by John C.H. Grabill, with an inset of James Butler Hickok, better known as "Wild Bill" Hickok.
 
The photographs of John C.H. Grabill
 
If someone were to ask me, "Why this post?" my response probably would be words to the effect:
 
"Just for the hell of it. Why ask me why I do anything? I like to say I have a reason for everything I do, but, sometimes, the reason escapes me, and just for 'the hell of it' seems as good an answer as any."
 
The long and the short of it is that I really am not sure of the reason. I encountered a few "stereoscopic" photographs by a guy named Grabill, surrendered to my curiosity, did a bit of research. The following paragraph is direct from Wikipedia:
 
"John C. H. Grabill was an American photographer. Little is known about his work. In 1886 he opened his first photographic studio in Sturgis, with studios in Hot Springs, Lead and Deadwood, Dakota Territory. He had presumably already been active in the area before this date. In this time he was the official photographer of the Black Hills and Fort Pierre R.R. and Home Stake Mining Company. From 1891 to 1894 he operated a studio in Chicago. Most is known from 188 photographs he sent to the Library of Congress between 1887 and 1892 for copyright registration. His work documents the frontier life in Colorado, South Dakota and Wyoming. His photographs of Pine Ridge during the aftermath of Wounded Knee are most remarkable."
 
The reference to photographs from Wounded Knee is absolutely correct. Remarkable might not even be an expressive enough word to describe the photographs. I have a book, "Eyewitness at Wounded Knee," (Richard E. Jensen, R. Eli Paul, John E. Carter / University of Nebraska Press: Lincoln and London) with more than 150 photographs contemporary to the 1890 event. For those not familiar with Wounded Knee, do a bit of your own research.
 
I have enjoyed photography since my pre-school years. My mother taught me with her camera, and I "stole" money (sort of) from my "piggy bank" (literally) when I was five years old to buy a camera and a roll of film. My interest comes and goes, rises and falls, and I have been a "serious photographer" (depending on the definition of serious) at times, like when I worked as a journalist.
 
I particularly like old photographs. I relish studying them in detail, often with a magnifying glass -- looking at faces, at buildings, at firearms, at dogs, at landscapes .... well, you catch my drift. I have found this to be an excellent means to study and to learn what was here before me, and, by that means, to learn more about myself.
 
Actually, that probably is a better explanation to the question of "why this post." It is sort of a "thank you" to Grabill for doing what he did: Take photographs of the world as it was during his lifetime for me to enjoy and to study during my lifetime a hundred years later .... and, I want to bring him back to life for a while, in a manner of speaking, so others might know of him and see his photographs.
 
Here are two internet websites which contain many of Grabill's photographs:

 


 


 



 



4 comments:

Anita said...

Hei Fram!
I think it is a great post!
For me Reading Rølvaag it is Nice to see some of the Places he writes about
I see there is little Mountains in the area.When Per Hansa got caught in that snowstorm at Sioux river.. he talks about The Rocky Mountains..but it must be long away from him..
Great photoes on those links..It is worth to study them yes!
I love those old days !
But I think it must had been a very hard life.
How is it going With your Rølvaag Reading?

Nice Music With those videos

Wish all good to you

Here Internet is sooooo sloow..Can hardly watch Your videos..It is rolling and rolling yes
So I go offline and prepare for supper .Tonight there is Bohemian Rapsody on the Television.I am not so found but the boy wants to see it..It is going to be an early bed tonight

See you! :O

Fram Actual said...

What you are seeing in John Grabill's photographs are mostly places in South Dakota and Wyoming. I recognized Bear Butte, which is near Sturgis in South Dakota, and the Devil's Tower, located in the Bear Lodge Mountains in northeastern Wyoming. The Black Hills and these particular places are considered sacred by the Sioux and Cheyenne. There are some shots of Pine Ridge, too, but taken both before and after the Wounded Knee episode.

It is easy to find graphic photos of the Wounded Knee "encounter" between the Sioux and the Seventh U.S. Calvary if you are curious, Anita. Many of the same Indians and army troopers who were at the Little Bighorn in 1876 were also at Wounded Knee in 1890. In a way, it seems sort of prophetic to me: For instance, Second Lieutenant George Wallace was second in command of Troop G at the Battle of the Little Bighorn and survived; at Wounded Knee, Captain George Wallace was commanding Troop K and was killed.

Anyway .... most of the action in Ole Rolvaag's stories takes place in eastern Dakota or in Minnesota. I am not sure he ever saw the western regions of Dakota, but he certainly might have been there. And no, I have read no more of his work. I want to take a break from Ole for a few weeks and wait for spring/summer to arrive.

Yes, I often think about how easy life is today when measured with life in those times. But, it remains very hard and harsh for some even today, depending upon where you live and your financial situation. There was an article in the Saint Paul Pioneer Press today which stated that since 2015, the number of homeless people in Minnesota has grown from 9,312 to 10,233. The way this past winter weather has been, it seems incomprehensible to me that so many people can exist without a place to call home. But, they do it ....

I have not seen the film, "Bohemian Rapsody," and I doubt I will. I really enjoy the music of Queen and, in particular, the performances of Freddie Mercury, but the actor playing him in the movie, Rami Malek, literally gives me the creeps. Something about him sends me scampering for the nearest exit as quickly as I can move.

Sorry, to be winding down on that last note, but you know me: I say what I think.

Just to brighten things up a bit, "all good to you," too, Anita, and to Alexander. Take care, young lady, and think of me now and then ....

Liplatus said...

It is interesting to look at old photos, I also like.
The picture says a lot.

Before the materials were valuable. Few owned a camera. It was a luxury.
Today, there are inexpensive cameras and handsets that are easy to photograph.
Thank you for your interesting old photos.

It is said that the photo does not lie but can lie.
There are historical photos whose content has been removed, the content can also be added.

I'm going to the wrong path now, sorry. ..

https://www.history101.com/photo-altering-soviet-union/
https://www.rferl.org/a/soviet-airbrushing-the-censors-who-scratched-out-history/29361426.html

  There you will find political fakes and productions.
It is astonishing that the serious photos of politics lie.

Greeting

Fram Actual said...

Not only has the ability for everyone to own photographic devices and to take photographs anywhere, anytime become remarkably easier in recent years, but the processing element has become instantaneous in a sense.

My first newspaper job was sort of in the "old days" at a weekly. I had no darkroom experience. The publisher of the newspaper took me to the darkroom and, after an hour of instruction, said words to the effect, this is your baby now. He then left. That is how I learned to run a darkroom, and it served me well to move on to a daily newspaper: I was able to say I could fill in when the photographer / darkroom guy was on vacation.

At a later time, my best friend was a photographer / darkroom guy. He taught me a lot of "tricks" for manipulation of photos. We would periodically demonstrate our "skills" by putting ourselves and each other in manipulated photos. One time, he produced and I put a photograph of a "flying saucer" attacking the iron ore loading docks in the harbor on the front page of the newspaper .... it was April Fools' Day.

An "expert" with a magnifying glass likely will be able to spot "doctored" photos.

It takes considerable skill / talent / practice to accomplish "darkroom tricks" such as those the Soviets utilized in the photographs of Joseph Stalin. I know nothing about how things like this are done in the "age of computers," but I assume it probably is easier. It is interesting that "bad guys" try to fool people with illegitimate photos. One can never be too trusting.

I am glad you like old photographs and this post, and happy you came here and wrote a comment for me, Liplatus. Take care, and be seeing you ....

Something special ....