Wednesday, March 13, 2019

"It's a terribly difficult language to learn"

"But I'm beginning to see that I can't hold out for long in this life as a hired man. It is becoming more and more impossible. Not because the work is so hard; I could stand that and not grumble too much, but I have lost all interest in this kind of work. As long as it was new it was interesting, but after I had once learned it I could keep my thoughts on it no longer. They wandered off into other worlds. Therefore I have decided to try something else. I am going to attend a Norwegian-American academy this winter -- in order to learn English, if for no other reason. I will leave for school in a few months."
 
Education always has been important to immigrants, as illustrated in this photograph taken at a one-room, sod school house in Custer County South Dakota. The year the photograph was taken is not given, but evidently it was before the area residents were able to afford a wooden structure requiring the use of sod. It is fascinating to study the faces of the "schoolmarm" and her charges. Other than the clothing being worn, the individuals present might be those in a 21st Century school. Being the curious sort, I cannot help but wonder if these boys and girls had happy, healthy, productive lives.
 
Growing Unrest -- 1898
"The Third Life of Per Smevik"
 
(Third of three parts)
 
Some believe and would argue that everything begins at a tribal level, and that the first tier of tribalism is the family. I tend to agree with that position.
 
I recently completed reading, "The Third Life of Per Smevik," by Ole Edvart Rølvaag, also known by the pseudonym of Paal Mørck. The bottom line of any book, I think, is would one person recommend it to another individual. In the matter of Per Smevik, the answer is an unequivocal yes. Here are three examples of why.
 
Smevik (Rølvaag) is speaking about learning the English language: "I have gotten pretty good at English now, although I must admit that it goes more slowly than I had expected. It's a terribly difficult language to learn. The worst of it is, the words are spelled so differently from the way they are pronounced. You have to learn each word twice, both spelling and pronunciation, and that’s not so easy .... The English word 'honor,' for instance, is pronounced 'ahner' but it has to be spelled honor. Have you ever heard of anything so ridiculous? But I don’t dare say anything about it or people will think I am dumb and don’t understand anything."
 
Later, Smevik (Rølvaag) is writing about a split in a church congregation which included a dispute between the church sexton and his wife: "One day as they were eating dinner -- they had had an especially lively debate at breakfast that morning -- Andreas suddenly began to heave the dishes at the wall, first the coffee cups, then the saucers, and then the cream pitcher. He didn't get any further than that in his berserk rage. For when the cream pitcher went, the Madam arose in all her dignity and power, grabbed the poker, and people swear it's the truth that she used it effectively, too .... This happened more than ten years ago, but those two old folks are still acting like idiots. Andreas subscribes to one church paper; Anna to the other. She supports one congregation; he the other. When he gave twenty dollars to his church, she forced him to hand over another twenty dollars which she conscientiously gave to her church. I know this is true ...."
 
Finally, when Smevik (Rølvaag) was a parochial school teacher, he was asked by a father to conduct a funeral service for the man's young son. Against his better judgment, he did: "When I found a Bible text I thought I could use, I asked the parents if the child had been baptized. 'Yes,' said the mother. 'No,' answered the father. Then a cold chill ran down my spine. I felt sick. How these two people could sit there with the dead child between them, and one of them lie, was more than I could comprehend .... Who lied about the child's baptism, I do not know. Presumably what the mother said was true. She may have had the child baptized without telling her husband. We can hope so, at least."
 
Time to go a-roaming with a few words: "The Boat of Longing," was Rølvaag's favorite book among those he wrote and my second favorite behind, "Giants in the Earth." Much of the story in The Boat is set in Minneapolis, and holding the book in one hand I was able to trace many of Rølvaag's footsteps and see places he described in the novel. The story relates the experiences of Nils Vaag, a young Norwegian immigrant who leaves behind the life of a fisherman in Nordland and emigrates to the New World in 1912. There -- in downtown Minneapolis -- he sweeps saloons while living in a boardinghouse called "Babel" for the many languages used by its residents. Actually, Babel was a hotel which still exists and, actually, Rølvaag lived and worked in downtown Minneapolis for a while.
 
Some have described The Boat as poetry in prose form. I would agree with that description.
 
It has been a number of years since I read, "Giants in the Earth," so recalling details and specifics from the story are entering the realm of shadows. Never-the-less, if anyone were to read only one of Rølvaag's tales, this novel would be the "king of the hill" and my first recommendation. Giants is the story of Norwegian settlers on the Dakota prairie. Central characters are Per Hansa, a natural pioneer who sees promise in the windswept plains, and his wife, Beret, who misses the ways of her homeland to the point loneliness overpowers the deeper reality of life lived on the American frontier. She eventually loses her sanity.
 
A man filled with blind ambition, perhaps, describes Per Hansa best. At the end of the novel, he ventures out into a blizzard on skis to find help for his dying friend, but he never quits thinking about taking more land and fulfilling his ambitions. Per Hansa stops to rest along the way and freezes to death. His body is found in the spring by a group of boys:
 
"To the boys, it looked as though the man were sitting there resting while he waited for better skiing .... His face was ashen and drawn. His eyes were set toward the west."
 
This seems like an appropriate place to end these commentaries about Ole Edvard Rølvaag and some of the stories he told ....




10 comments:

Liplatus said...

It is not easy for immigrants to settle in a new country. Learning a foreign language is not easy for everyone.
And not everyone is interested in learning.
Very interesting picture. Hopefully the kids got jobs and lived happily.

Smevik says it's hard to learn English.
Words are written differently than pronounced.
I agree.

I've been browsing your blog posts.
Reading interesting books.

Fram Actual said...

Liplatus writes: "Learning a foreign language is not easy for everyone. And not everyone is interested in learning."

Fram replies: I am among such people. One of the requirements for a master of arts degree where I went to college was reading knowledge of one foreign language. Not speaking knowledge; simply reading knowledge. I picked Russian and managed to pass the requirement, but the entire process was very unnerving for me.

It seems to me that is one of the reasons those who move from one country to another often look for settlements already established by their countrymen. It is easier to feel "at home" in such a place. New Ulm in Minnesota is a fine example. Germans settled there in the 1850s and named it for a German city.

I think the same thing is true in fields of study. I had very demanding English and history teachers and had a "head" for those subjects and excelled in them in a sense, while I barely managed to pass mathematics courses. Hence, my destiny was set.

It also is very difficult, for me, anyway, to sometimes understand English spoken with accents I am not accustomed to hearing on a regular basis. Some Southern dialects in the United States, for instance, and New Englanders. I generally enjoy watching British television programs, but some I cannot watch because the actors speak unintelligibly to my ears.

Thank you, Liplatus, for coming here and for writing here and for your comment about the books I read. I think much of that stems back to three women in my life: My mother, who taught me how to read and allowed me to read anything I wanted as a boy, and two English teachers who guided my reading habits and those of many other students through six teenage years.

Take care and be well and stay safe and, maybe, try one of Ole Rolvaag's books ....

Kaya said...

I am getting more and more involved in the reading about Smevik/Rølvaag.

He wrote:
"Therefore I have decided to try something else. I am going to attend a Norwegian-American academy this winter -- in order to learn English, if for no other reason." I like his determination to learn English."

I took ESL classes (English second language) at our local university when I started my new life in America without these classes it would take much longer to learn English.

It's very interesting how Rølvaag conducted a funeral service. Some of the parents lied, he wrote, and he was shocked about it. Not so pleasant experience about these two people.

Fram, are you going to write a little more about the book "The Boat of Longing"?

The photograph you posted is very interesting. You wrote about it " I cannot help but wonder if these boys and girls had happy, healthy, productive lives." After I read your words, I enlarged this photo and looked at children's faces and their teacher's face. Yes, it's very difficult to tell were they happy and healthy or not. Their faces are very very tense.

I enjoyed your three posts about Ole Edvard Rølvaag. They were beautifully written and your thoughts and reflections were very interesting to read.

I hope some day you would come with another idea and another writer, Fram.

Fram Actual said...

My own guess is that Per Smevik (Ole Rolvaag) was being very honest when he wrote he would be going to school because he was becoming tired and bored with working as a "hired hand" on a farm, and that the words "in order to learn English, if for no other reason" were a bit of subterfuge and rationalization in case additional education did not benefit him in a financial sense.

Early in the book, Smevik (Rolvaag) had written that he had found no woman who interested him in a marital sense, but at some point later along the way he did mention that he had met the young lady who he hoped would eventually become is wife. He also wrote that he would need to be in a position to provide for her and for a family before that could ever happen.

Rolvaag was ambitious and hardworking and developed a plan to accomplish his goals.

The segment about the funeral of the child took a few pages to relate and there were more details, but, in a few sentences, that was it. One of the parents lied about baptism in the presence of the dead boy, and that stunned/shocked/bewildered Rolvaag. I can understand Rolvaag's reaction, but me being me, I probably would have pushed the two of them a little more in an effort to learn the truth of the matter.

I had not thought about writing more about, "The Boat of Longing." I suppose I might, but it has been a number of years since I read that novel and I would want to reread it before I wrote anything. Something to think about, I guess.

A three-year, ten-block reconstruction project begins this spring along Hennepin Avenue (the primary area of The Boat), which would complicate repeating my "walk-along, book-in-hand" aspect of the effort, which, actually, might be fun. I do have a 1910 photograph of Hennepin and Fifth Street, which is contemporaneous with the time of Rolvaag's presence there. Yep, something to think about ....

As for other writers, we shall see what we shall see ....

I do not know why it is, but people generally wear a serious and a stern expression on their faces in "old" photographs. A question worth a bit of research, maybe ....

I am glad you liked the "Smevik/Rolvaag series," Kaya. Essentially, I sat down and wrote it all over a span of a few hours split over two afternoons, then divided it into three posts. If I were not so lazy and if the pieces had been destined for newspaper publication, I would have sat down, reread them, reorganized and reworked them, then rewrote them before publishing them. Such is life ....

In any case, thank you, Kaya, for coming and for writing and for your nice words. Stay safe, be well and healthy, and always keep your camera within easy reach ....

Anita said...

Thank you for this great post Fram.
Rølvaag is a wonderful writer.In fact I found one more book in my Things..The Giants in the Earth.I have much fun Reading it ..Specially the Norwegian translated to English hahahah it is very good..The homecoming celebrated With Brandy or Scotch in" Drammeglass"!!Also reflecting Beret when she sit at the hill where the Indian is buried wondering What the earth have they done coming HERE!
I have only come to page 88 when the Indians arrive and loooking forward to read more.
Wish you everything good and thanx for bringing up Ole Rølvaag

Anita

Fram Actual said...

Yes, Ole Rolvaag is a wonderful writer -- in many ways. Whatever it is about the way he forms his characters I am not sure, but his creations seem to be alive and real people to me, just as though they are people who live a house or two away from me. I have known individuals like Per Hansa and Beret during the course of my life, so it is possible that is why they seem so real to me. I have encountered a few of their "types" and, to sound a bit chauvinistic, even dated some women very much like Beret. That is why I often have said I need a woman in my life with the ability and the courage to watch my back.

I have three copies of, "Giants in the Earth," (maybe I will find more, if I ever unpack all my books) including a first edition from 1927. I no longer recall when or where I obtained it, but, presumably, it is worth a few cents more than my other copies. The book is in great condition for being 92 years old and has the name, E. Belle Stanwood, written twice inside it. My guess is that I found it in a used book store once upon a time ....

Rolvaag and a journalist/fiction writer named Lincoln Colcord are the translators of all three of these copies. I am not sure if other translations exist and I have not yet attempted any research on the matter, but, if so, I would like to obtain one and compare it to the Rolvaag/Colcord translation.

You are the one responsible for the appearance of Rolvaag in my posts this time around. It was you, Anita, who found, "The Three Lives of Per Smevik," by Paal Morck, a pseudonym used by Rolvaag for his first novel. I decided it was a book I wished to read, so I immediately bought not just one copy of it, but two copies. Since this story essentially is autobiographical and very/very/very personal, I learned more about Rolvaag's experiences and, most importantly, his psychology than I ever could have without the book. So, it is you, Anita, who deserves the thanks. If his life and my own had intersected, I would love to have met him and interviewed him. He truly was a giant ....

I am pleased you have come here and written here and glad that you are impressed and enthused about Rolvaag and his stories .... thank you, Anita ....

Anita said...

Here I go again..Trying to make a comment(yesterday was just a flause tried tree times and nothing happened)

This is what I wrote

Ohh noo !It is you all the way who deserve the honour!I only wanted to read something different and you mentioned him to me.I know you like his books. Even got a photo of him you do...

The translator from Norwegian to English , "The saga of the prairie" from 1991 is named Lincoln Colcord togehter With the Author


You say you like Beret.It is too early for me to tell. She seems to be a good lady.But I do like Per Hansa .I think he must be the dream of all females.I have not read anything today since I have slept after night shift.

I hope you will continue the tread about Rølvaag.I like very much the way he Write.

Okey.Vi seest!Så skal jeg se om jeg kan publisere dette siden blogger og Google acting strange these days.

Until then be happy!

Fram Actual said...

So, it would seem between you in Norway and me in Minnesota, USA, we have managed to present a bit of information about Ole Edvard Rolvaag and some of his stories. We can jointly share both the blame and the glory for that .... right?

I am thinking about writing a post or two about Rolvaag's novel, "The Boat of Longing," but first I want to reread the book because it has been a long time since I originally read it and much of the story hides within the shadows of my memory. It will be a while before I do it, though, because I also want to walk some of the streets of downtown Minneapolis with the novel in hand and re-experience what Rolvaag experienced when he lived there for a few months little more than a hundred years ago -- and, I want a warm (not hot), partly cloudy (not cloudless or overcast) few days to accomplish that, which means probably in May.

By the way, my father's middle name was Olaf and, to the best of my knowledge, most people called him Ole.

I do not think I would use the word "like" in terms of my feelings either for Beret or for Per Hansa. I think "understand" and "accept" would be better words. In any case, both of them are "real" to me as I read the story, probably because I know people like them.

I see you had better luck with Google this time around. Computers and the internet are mysterious places/things from my point of view, wonderful on the one hand and maddening on the other hand. A person never knows what will be found when he enters the realm of either.

Thank you, for your return, Anita. Between the two of us, Rolvaag will live again, if only for a brief time, on the sea of blogs ....

Anita said...

Sorry coming back but I Wonder whats the storie in the book" The boat of living"!I have read one of his books was not so much appriciated among the Norwegian settlers because of the tragedy one of his books tells about

You have totally right about understanding the characters being told in the story.(I like Per Husa, I like Beret)

Have you read something about John Bojer?It was said that Rølvaag published his book in a hurry when he knew Bojer was about to publish The Immigrants(Wonder if it is the book based on the Movie The Immigrants With Liv Ullman ?)

Sorry coming back so many times but books are one of my favourite hobbies and I am very interested in all of Rølvaag--Yesterday I looked him up in Wiki and learned alot of his background.

I could write much but it would be so tiresome for you so I will end it now and look forward to your new post maybe something interesting will show up regarding Ole Rølvaag

Do the post in spring!I would love to see his house and the background from his books.

Ok see you.

Anita

Fram Actual said...

"The Boat of Longing," is far enough in my past and it was among a few of Ole Rolvaag's novels that I was reading one-right-after-another so that I cannot recall much of the specifics about it and also have some difficulty remembering which story was which story because they all are similar in many ways. That is why I want to reread the novel before I write about it. In a sense, all these books form varying versions of one long, long story .... which actually might be the case: Rolvaag may have kept trying to write the perfect tale ....

It is like, "The Third Life of Per Smevik," and the, "Giants in the Earth," trilogy, "Peder Victorious" (Peder Seier), in 1928, and "Their Fathers' God" (Den signede dag) in 1931, for instance, all revolve around young Norwegians newly arrived in America who are learning to cope with a life very different than the one in which they have grown up. The primary difference between those stories and The Boat is that the primary setting for The Boat is downtown Minneapolis and the others are set in rural areas.

In any event, I sort of promise to be back around May with more to say/write then, Anita.

I do recall reading somewhere that Giants and John Bojer's, "The Emigrants," sort of "crossed paths in the mail," in a manner of speaking. I do not recall which was which, but either Bojer or Rolvaag had his book at the publisher when the other came out in print. I think it was Bojer who said to the effect that it was lucky it happened that way or he would have been accused of plagiarism .... but, it might have been the other way around.

I just checked and apparently The Immigrant series (two movies) was based on books by Vilhelm Moberg, a Swede .... hmmmm .... now I am curious about him .... hmmmm ....

Never be sorry about coming back here and writing your thoughts, Anita. I very much enjoy your presence and your beliefs/opinions/ideas. You and your words are very valuable to me .... take care, be safe, stay well, keep reading ....

Something special ....