Tuesday, February 5, 2019

What is longevity without good health?

Recognize her? To the left is a young Linda Maria Ronstadt at the peak of her profession in the realm of music. To the right is Linda Maria Ronstadt, age 72, no longer a singer, not by her own choice, but because Parkinson's Disease has robbed her of her ability to sing. Accompanying this post is a video of her performing, "Tracks of My Tears," when she was a world-reowned singer. Also present is a video of the Rolling Stones on stage doing, "Out of Control," on March 25, 2016, in Havana, Cuba. In stark contrast to Ronstadt, the Stones similarly are all in their seventies, but seem to have the energy of teenagers.  What is longevity without good health?
 
Tell me how have I changed
 
You never know where a sight or a sound will take you. Do you?
 
I turned on the television a while ago and saw a familiar face on the screen. It was Linda Ronstadt, immediately recognizable, although it was a considerably older version of the youthful face I was accustomed to see singing songs beautifully. She is 72 years old now, a victim of Parkinson's Disease and can no longer sing.
 
I compare this to the Rolling Stones, who I saw in Minneapolis in 2015 and who will be on tour again this year. I am not sure when the birthdays are for the guys in this outfit, but as of right now the oldest is Charlie Watts, 77, followed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, both 75. Ronnie Wood is the junior member. He is 71.
 
If anyone needs evidence that life is not fair -- and, for that matter, that equality is a "legislated" thing and not an "actual" thing, all one needs to do is to compare the lives of these individuals.
 
I am certain there are people who wish they could exchange lives with Ronstadt, despite her struggle with Parkinson's. She had a fabulous career signing rock and country rock, beginning in the 1960s. She was lead singer for the Stone Poneys, the highly-publicized girlfriend of then-governor of Nebraska, Robert "Bob" Kerry, who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam, was on the cover of Time and Rolling Stone magazines, was the highest paid woman in rock music, and on and on ad infinitum.
 
But, in my mind, the acclaim and the prominence of early life cannot make up for the end of life suffering from Parkinson's Disease. My maternal grandmother spent the last seven years of her life with Parkinson's in a nursing home. When she was medicated, she was little more than a zombie, essentially not knowing who she was or where she was. When not medicated, her mind was clear and her memory good, but she was in pain and constantly trembling.
 
During the course of her television interview, Ronstadt said: "When you've been able to do certain things all your life, like put your shoes on and brush your teeth or whatever -- when you can't do that, you sort of go, 'What's this?'" she says. "You know, what's happening here? Come help me with this. And then you have to learn to ask people to help, and that -- that took a little doing. But I do that now, because I need the help."
 
What probably got me thinking about this other than seeing Ronstadt on television and knowing that the Stones were again on tour was encountering Ronni Rae Rivers singing, "It's Only Make Believe." I have heard the Conway Twitty version countless times and, to be honest, I did not recall he was dead. I set out to jolt my memory about how and when. I learned that Twitty became ill while performing at the Stafford Theatre in Branson, Missouri. He died of an abdominal aortic aneurysm on June 4, 1993, at the age of 59. Hmmmm .... pretty young guy in the overall scheme of things ....
 
After listening to the Ronni Rae version of the Twitty song, I listened to Twitty's version a few times and to the same song sung by other singers. I do think no one can sing it as well as Twitty, but Ronni Rae is my first choice for a performance of it by a woman.
 
Returning to Parkinson's for a few words, here is another quote from Ronstadt: "They're learning so much more about it every day. If not, I mean, I'm 72. We're all going to die. So, they say people usually die with Parkinson's. They don't always die of it because it's so slow-moving. So, I'll figure I'll die of something. And I've watched people die, so I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of suffering, but I'm not afraid of dying."
 
Ronstadt has the words and the attitude to face life head on .... she evidently knows and understands herself well. She is a courageous woman and merits the best wishes and prayers for serenity and peace.
 
Yep, life goes on, with or without Parkinson's, with or without equality. In the meanwhile, the nearest the Stones will come to the Twin Cities on this tour is Denver and Chicago. I just might gear up and head on out to catch a show.
 
This might be my last chance .... I mean even the Stones cannot last forever .... can they?

 



 




5 comments:

Anita said...

Thanx for nice post Fram!Yes the age!It is the same for all us, born to die..But as you say some are more lucky then others

I think Linda looks great !I did see the interview with her on you tube..She have aged with dignity.As for the Parkinsons.There aint no cure.The medicine so far is not good..But it helps them keep it going and as you say they die with it and not of it

The Rolling Stones!!My oh My are they still going?What do they eat to keep in such a good shape?
Well we never know.They may have troubles we can not . see..and nothing last for ever..You should deff go to that concert in Chicago!

Age Fram.It is running its way for all of us..including you and me..
We have been blogger friends for a long time..It may be stop if the Google suddenly decide to let it go ..Looking at my site today there was new information about widgets disapperaing the 4 feb.2019(.Google+ widgets: Support for the “+1 Button”, “Google+ Followers” and “Google+ Badge” widgets in Layout will no longer be available. All instances of these widgets will be removed from your blog. )I dont know if they mean blogger as well.I dont have that following link so I took a look at your site to see if it was gone !
May be it turns out to be a better place to stay..Just blogging and nothing more..

I enjoyed your music! (it reminds me of old days.).At You Tube Emmalou Harris and Kris Kristoffersen came popping up as well-I did listen to Emmalou Harris a while when it was" in" With a guitar ,a smoke and Love Power"..But Led Zeppelin, Deep Purlpe ,Creedence Clearwater,Janis Joplin ,Jimi Hendrix,Neil Yong,The Doors, became more my style with Nighwish as my really goodie band :)


Hope all is well with you.Today we had a little sun but it is still very dark in the evening.
Most my time is watching HBo and Netflix.BTW..what do you think about the last episode of Vikings?.Ivar fled to Russia and King olav is to be (spoiler season 6)the king of Kattegat and Norway?

I am reading novels from his time that (Olaf II Haraldsson (c. 995 – 29 July 1030, later known as St. Olaf and traditionally as St. Olave), King Olav Haraldson.He was not such a good king as they wanted him to be. Introduce Christianity with violence.But it is facinating to read.
Ok this was along note.
Hope it is ok

Greetings Anita


Fram Actual said...

The usual Minnesota winter arrived yesterday: Freezing rain followed by four to five inches of snow accompanied by falling temperatures to hover around the zero mark. Triple uffff ....

About the same time, I was hit by a "24-hour-bug." I fell asleep in a chair shortly after eight in the evening, woke up at midnight and went to bed where I stayed until eight this morning. Another uffff ....

I received what I suppose is the same Google message you have been writing about, Anita. I did not understand the planned actions to actually really affect the sea of blogs, but at this moment I really do not care if they do. As I keep saying, my enthusiasm for the blogs has been lessening over recent years and I am approaching the point of leaving it myself -- at least not using it on a regular basis. I possibly would go to a post a month or something like that .... anyway, we shall see what the future brings .... que sera, sera ....

Perhaps, it simply is my mood today. Winter depresses me, especially a sunless winter which this one mostly has been. Other things are depressing me, as well, but they are things which come and go .... hmmmm .... I guess winter comes and goes, too .... does it not? I suppose I should think of it like that. As for the coming and going of life itself, I am relatively sure most people do not want to leave here when their time has passed, but death is the price of life, as the cliché goes, and there is no way to change that formula.

I think even if the sea of blogs would vanish, I would find some way to continue communication with you, Anita of Bergen. We have been "together," in a manner of speaking, during the time Alexander has grown from a boy to a man. As I wrote in an earlier post, a decade is a long time when thought of in that sense, and it was you and Alexander I was thinking of when I wrote it.

I agree with you about your music choices. It is not unusual for me to like a particular song and it matters little which individual or which band performs it. But, most often, it is a particular singer or a particular band I wish to hear. There also are "one hit wonders" I enjoy. Too often, I think, a band will be great, but it fades away because none of the members are talented composers and able to write new music.

People who seem to go on and on living well, I usually attribute to "good genes," and there certainly is scientific proof of that. I always have thought I have good genes, especially in the sense of youthful looks. I was thirty years old; it was broad daylight; no shades (sunglasses) and the owner of a bar insisted I show him my identification to prove I legally could drink. Best of all, the legal drinking age in this particular state at that particular time was eighteen. Yep, good genes ....

I really would like to see the Stones again. I think I might choose Denver over Chicago, though. I have been in Chicago many times, but only at the airport in Denver waiting to change flights.

The last episode of this season in "Vikings" aired here a week ago tonight, so I have seen it. I got the impression that Bjorn Ironside would be the ruler of Kattegat. Harald received a sword wound saving Bjorn, and it was not clear if he survived it or not. I suppose we will have to wait a number of months to learn the answer. Yes, Olaf was an especially ruthless king when it came to having the Norwegians convert to Christianity.

You have written another long note, Anita, and I very much appreciate them and enjoy them. I believe you put all of your being/self/heart & soul into your projects. As for me, at this moment in time, I believe my "24-hour-bug" is making a comeback. My head is becoming congested, causing my thoughts to wander .... time to nap again ....

Whoops .... need to do it in two pieces again ....

Fram Actual said...

Part 2 of 2 ....

I am glad you liked the post and I agree that Linda Ronstadt looks great. I suppose once again it mostly is a matter of genes. The bodies of some are destroyed from within and the bodies of others are devastated from the outside = Keith Richards and Mick Jagger. Some fortunate few "luck out" and "skate" along until the end in pretty good shape both inside and outside. Uff da .... am I on a downer today or what? Anyway, I assume I will get over it (probably on the first sunny day) and return to whatever I normally am ....

I am glad you found your way here, Anita, and pleased that you chose to write a note to me .... and, a very neat note at that. You are a very special young lady, Anita, and I hope you know me well enough by this time to believe that I do not give compliments unless I truly mean them. Take care, stay safe and watch out so you do not slip and fall on ice ....

Liplatus said...

Linda sings beautifully with her whole heart.
I wish Linda strength and perseverance.

Life brings less pleasant surprises especially when we are older.
Genes and our way of life also affect the disease.
There is also stress, heavy work or other mental stress.

Over time, life can still be viable as it adapts to a deteriorating state of health.
Not too much to think about what is lost, but to control the idea of what's left. Gratitude.
Health is also influenced by the human mind whether it is positive or pessimistic.
The ability to find joy is also beneficial.

Rollings Tones, the sound goes well.
Not rusted, the step is light.
The boys are still very popular, the hall is full.

Happy weekend!

Fram Actual said...

As a young woman, Linda Ronstadt had both a beautiful voice and a beautiful face. Now, her voice is gone, but the beauty of her face lingers on.

What you say about life is very true, Liplatus. As children, we are eager to become adults because they seem to be able to do whatever they want to do. But, those who survive their youth discover that life is a contradiction in the sense that it does not get easier the older one gets, but conversely, it often becomes more difficult. I always have been somewhat athletically gifted and had excellent health, but as prowess slips away I wonder how the most gifted, whether professional athletes or professional musicians or .... cope with life when their talents abandon them.

I agree with all you said, Liplatus, especially this sentence: "Health is also influenced by the human mind whether it is positive or pessimistic." From my own experience, I think in some instances mind actually can overcome matter .... but, then again, it just might be Nature is playing tricks on me.

Yes, the music of the Rolling Stones still does sound good and it is not often (ever?) one sees a 75-year-old man skipping along and jumping up and down. Legs often are among the body parts to create a problem .... at least, that is a situation which seems to be starting to afflict me.

It is clear you have a good attitude and I could add a "healthy" attitude about life and living, Liplatus. It is more my style to brood and to wander around in a somewhat melancholy frame of mind. That is something I need to work on .... developing a more constructive attitude, I mean.

Slipping sideways for a moment: A full-fledged blizzard came through yesterday with snow and wind and falling temperatures .... twice now in three days. Twenty miles north of me snowfall was about an inch; twenty miles south of me a foot came down; I suppose I was lucky because here there are about seven inches. Out my window this morning, I see sun-filled, white tundra .... snow and cold do not seem nearly the hardship when a storm is followed by a sunny day.

Thank you, for your visit and your words, Liplatus. I very much enjoy your presence ....

Something special ....