Sunday, December 16, 2018

Who knows where the time goes

No, this is not a painting of me .... although I have been seen like this a few times over the years.
 
Rather, this is an artist's impression of Otzi the Iceman just before he died. The uncredited painting appeared in yesterday's edition of the London Daily Mail along with a lengthy article.
 
But, this post is not about Otzi, whose well-preserved, mummified body was found in 1991 in the Ötztal Alps between Austria and Italy. It has been determined he lived between 3400 and 3100 BCE. Otzi interests me a great deal, both as an individual and as a representative of his era, which is the late Neolithic Period about the time the Bronze Age was beginning. We shall leave his story for another time, so to speak, possibly even for another lifetime.
 
No -- this post is about New Year's Resolutions .... sort of, anyway ....
 
Sort of New Year's Resolutions
 
I have decided it is time to get serious about lessening my possessions, and guns are about the easiest to unload. When my son was here at Thanksgiving, I gave him nine firearms to take home with him: Five rifles, two with scopes; a shotgun; a revolver; two semi-automatic pistols. Three or four or five more will be going home with him at Christmas. Redistribution of my "baggage" is Resolution No. 1.
 
When George H.W. Bush died (Bush the Elder, in my lexicon), television commentators noted that Bush once was asked how he could take both political wins and defeats so graciously. His reply was that each day is a new day and when he awakened in the morning, he made sure his attitude was set to reflect a happy, pleasant frame of mind. I think I will give that technique a try, although I am certain Ambrose "Bitter" Bierce will roll over in his grave. To begin each day thankful to be alive and to display it is Resolution No. 2.
 
My reading habit has been slipping away from me during recent months, but I think I have found a tale which will raise the level of my enthusiasm for books a significant notch. I just ordered a copy of, "Lost Secrets," by Bernard Grisoni. It is a new novel about Otzi, the so-called Iceman. He was murdered, it would seem, about 5,000 years ago. Grisoni's story weaves Tesimo's (Otzi's name way back when, according to the novel) life and travels with those of archaeologist Sophia Bruckner, who was among the first to examine the mummified body.
 
One reviewer described the novel in this manner: "'Lost Secrets,' is one of the rare books that appeals to both the left and right brain, and delivers two complementary stories to delight each. Right-brainers will enjoy the modern-day story where a heroine and a hero uncover important historical information while in the midst of a fast-paced adventure to thwart a villain. Left-brainers will enjoy the story that takes place 5,000 years earlier where a pair of men displaced from their home experience people, places and ideas of which neither ever dreamed."
 
This novel explores the intertwining destinies of Sophia and Tesimo, two seekers living thousands of years apart. To actually read this book rather than merely add it to my growing stack of "unreads" is Resolution No. 3. I just might even write a review of the book.
 
And .... I probably will add one or more resolutions to my list before 2018 disappears into history and 2019 emerges from wherever years await their moment in time ....


 



 



 




6 comments:

Liplatus said...

Very sad picture.

I am also interested Iceman Ötziistä, fascinating history.
As frozen he has remained well, giving much information.
Ötzi document that I have seen on television.
The film is made of Ötz, but I have not seen it.

Nice to get to know me new videos.
Thanks for the music.

Relaxing Christmas Time For You Fram Actual !

Anita said...

Hi good friend❤

I love the painting!But do you think humans look like that so many years ago?Well I can think you have been in this situation-I hope Tor or Odin came to help:)

So you have had a give away party!I think your son must be a lucky one Dear God!I hope he fancy firearms!

Me to has got so much unread books..It is like" Ohh I dont care if the book is good if the writer do not write like I find good"
After seeing the last ep of Vikings with Ivars intention to sacrifice Hvitserk I had to read Snorre Saga again.)Intersted in how Harald Hårfargre gained all the lands
.Also reading Norse Mythologi by Neil Gaiman


Your book now reading seems to be a good one.I hope you do a review of it

It is just another Christmas time.I really hope you do well and are staying with family.Like I mentioned on my page there will be no rest for me this year celebrations.I will be home Christmas night with Alex and the doggie and may be one or two more persons.I might send you a note.

The music is very nice.I love Bob Dylands" dont think twice"!

I am glad you made a note.Hope you will never leave.
Take care and it will be allright

Kiss Anita

Kaya said...

Interesting introduction to your post, Fram.

As you said that this post not about Otzi the Iceman but about your New Year resolutions; I skip on this topic and go right to your resolutions. I like them, Fram.

Lessing your possessions is always a good idea. Less is usually more.

I probably also give a try and follow the advice of George H.W. Bush. I like it very, very much.

My reading habit is spontaneous. Right now I am reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. This book made me think about things I never thought and ask questions I have never dare to ask.

Nice selection of music, Fram.

Fram Actual said...

I have read more than a bit about Otzi and seen two or three television specials about him, and possibly others I cannot recall since it is approaching thirty years since his body was found. It is fascinating how more and more artifacts are being recovered as glaciers retreat/melt, and I expect additional bodies also will be located. Although not as ancient as Otzi, peat bogs also are yielding bodies which are intriguing.

In regard to the music, I like all of these pieces. I did not recall hearing of Sandy Denny or of Fairport Convention when I stumbled onto this video, but it appeared to me the woman shown (who I assumed was Denny) is sitting with members of Led Zeppelin. A brief check led me to another video where Robert Plant is singing with the current edition of Fairport Convention and then to the knowledge that Denny is the only woman to have sung backup on a Led Zeppelin recording. Rock music trivia!

Thank you, Liplatus, for being here and for writing here. I wish you and those close to you the best Christmas ever ....

Fram Actual said...

Think about it, Anita .... five thousand years is a nanosecond when measured on a cosmic scale. I am not sure how or when or where anatomically Homo sapiens/modern humans emerged. It is estimated they came out of Africa, possibly as long as 300,000 years ago. My guess is there has been little significant change since then -- whenever "then" might have been -- in any way other than in knowledge.

I have been seen in such a position as Otzi in the painting a number of times throughout the years, for varying reasons. I laugh about it now.

Yes, to put it in the vernacular, my son is even more of "gun nut" than I am. The "giveaway system" we used is I picked one to give him, then he picked one he wanted. He still has a choice coming under that method.

I select books largely for two reasons: The subject interests me or I have read a book on a topic which interests me and I am curious about other books by the same author. Fortunately or not, my interests hop, skip and jump all over the place, which means I will run out of time before I run out of books. I am not sure if that is good or is bad, but it certainly is annoying when I think about it.

Your remark about Harald Hårfargre made me curious, so I just spent about two hours refreshing my memory regarding the "lore and legend" about him. I have learned it is impossible to sort out fact from fiction in a gun fight not even five minutes after it happened, so sorting out fact from fiction a few hundred years after the events is absolutely impossible. It is a matter of study and of pick and choose based on one's own knowledge and experience. My money is on Harald having been a good looking guy who was both intelligent and clever and swung a good sword -- and, not altogether the most honest man walking the earth at the time.

I anticipate being alone on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but then my son will arrive for a few days. I hope your holidays will be all you could ever wish for them to be. And, yes, a Christmas note would be sweet.

I feel the same as you about Bobby Dylan and this song.

Take care and stay safe and be happy, Anita. Between your presence and that of the sun in a clear, blue sky, my day is moving along in a perfect manner.

Fram Actual said...

"All we know are the facts, ma'am," as someone once reputedly said on a long-ago television show. I suppose I was trying to be cute in the first sentence of the post, and I will admit that I was trying, Kaya, but I also admit that I was speaking factually.

I think I have reached a point where I will contact an estate agent in the spring and sell ninety-nine percent of all my possessions and then travel until the money is gone and then settle down wherever I might happen to be when the money runs out.

Yes, Bush the Elder was a wise man in many ways and, I think, a better person than most politicians, i.e. guided by an acutely-attuned moral compass. No doubt, this comment he made is sound advice for anyone and everyone.

I am not well acquainted with Stephen Hawking, and I am not certain why that is the case because I am aware of his standing in the world of science. It probably dates back to my lack of interest in physics in high school when I dropped the fundamental course after a few months. I attributed my decision to a first-year teacher who should not have been a teacher. Actually, he taught only for that one year, then went to work for a private corporation.

I like all the songs, Kaya. Each seems to be different from the others in many ways, but together they form a neat combination.

Thank you, Kaya, for being here and for writing a comment for me. Take care, and I hope to see you often ....

Something special ....