Sunday, October 14, 2018

Is once ever enough?

Here are seven of the eighteen books written by Douglas Clyde Jones. Most of his books were novels having to do with the American West. Jones began his career as a writer with a novel about the Seventh United States Army Cavalry encounter with a variety of Indian tribes at the Little Bighorn River in Montana on June 25-26, 1876. Another of his novels is about the "incident" at Wounded Knee in South Dakota on December 29, 1890, and involves many of the same individuals who fought in 1876 in Montana. Jones, by the way, served twenty-five years in the U.S. Army, then taught journalism at the University of Wisconsin. I have read all of his books, a few two or three times.
 
As for the music, there is none. But, there are two videos from MsMojo with lists of books you should read "if you know what is good for you" .... sort of teasing with that ending. Actually, MsMojo is a video content producer and publisher that is located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It offers published Top 10 pop culture lists on infotainment topics catered to a broad audience, but with a core viewership of young female millennials. Whoops .... just to clarify, I am part of the "broad audience" ....
 
Not exactly a mystery, but a good question
 
"What makes us reread a book?" was the question posed by a headline for a newspaper article by Laurie Hertzel, senior editor for books at the Twin Cities Star Tribune. She went on to explain why she has read four times, "The Great Gatsby," by F. Scott Fitzgerald, beginning in school -- in junior high -- she thought.
 
She then proceeded to name a few other books she has read more than once and to give a few of the "so many reasons why we reread books."
 
I have a few books I have reread multiple times, beginning with, "The Last Trail," by Pearl Zane Grey when I was in elementary school. (I would wager you did not know his first name was Pearl, did you?) It was when I had completed that novel I began writing the dates I had read a particular book inside the cover. I no longer recall the reason I began doing that, but the date usually was accompanied by a brief comment about where and when I had obtained the book and my opinion of it. This has been a handy habit over the years for obvious reasons.
 
My own record for Gatsby is only twice, but I like to brag that I have read every novel, short story and poem published by Ernest Hemingway, plus a few magazine articles and most biographies, some multiple times. The same is true of novels by James Michener, in particular his Korean War novelette, "The Bridges at Toko-Ri," and the epic settlement of the west tale, "Centennial." I continuously am going back to reread segments of Centennial.
 
I have sort of a collection of books about George Armstrong Custer. One of them, a novel, "The Court-Martial of George Armstrong Custer," by Douglas C. Jones, I have read nine times. The book is seriously researched and much of the story comes from testimony at the court-martial of Marcus Reno. Again, I would wager few are aware of this event. I have a copy of the official record of a court of inquiry convened at Chicago on January 13, 1879, by the then president of the United States upon "the request of Major Marcus A. Reno, 7th U.S. Cavalry, to investigate his conduct at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, June 25-26, 1876."
 
I could go on, but I will wrap this up by giving an explanation Ms. Hertzel suggests as some of the reasons we reread books:
 
"The right book can be a touchstone through your life, something that brings you back to a particular time or feeling. Sometimes a book changes with each reading, grows more complex and interesting. Sometimes you just want to dive into a familiar story -- for the coziness of it knowing in advance precisely how much stress and angst there will be, knowing what ending you are heading toward. Comfort reading, I guess."
 
Those words describe some of the reasons why I choose to reread, even though I know there never will be enough time in a lifetime to read everything which I would like to .... and, to reread books is to lose the time which could be spent reading new books, which is a tacit acknowledgement that you are ending a journey before the natural time has arrived for it to end.
 
I would add another personal reason to those suggested by Ms. Hertzel. Reading to me is studying. I want to learn about people, places and things. In the simplest words, I want to know what makes people tick and use it as a tool to better understand myself. Novels are particularly beneficial, I believe, as character studies of the individuals in the story and, very often, any book (every book) allows me to see inside the mind of the writer.
 
 

6 comments:

Anita said...

hi Fram-sorry late arrival..

About the books.i have never heard of any of them beside Ernest Hemingway,didnt he write the man and the sea as well??

Books are great both to pleasure and learning

I dont know when i come back here ..Busy with Alexander who has decided to quit school..Ohh those children..gives pleasure but also great pain.!.We shall se what happens..until then have a good time Fram..

anita

Fram Actual said...

"The Old Man and the Sea," was written by Ernest Hemingway in 1951, published in 1952, recipient of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1953 and cited by the Nobel Committee as contributing to its award of the Nobel Prize in Literature to Hemingway in 1954. I have read it six times and portions of it innumerable times.

Rather than immerse myself in the battle among critics, some of whom seem to think the book is the greatest piece of fiction ever written and others who argue that it contains "an extraordinary quantity of fakery," I simply will say I think it is a superb bit of writing and I very much like it and would recommend it to anyone and to everyone.

I am sorry to read that you will not be back here for some time because of difficulties with Alexander and that he does not want to continue his education. You did not mention what his plans are and, of course, they are of paramount importance. If, in fact, he does quit, I hope he will consider returning to school at a later date. When I was Alexander's age, my entire existence centered on experiencing as much of life as I possibly could, which included completing a college education. I am not sure my degrees ever have helped me in a practical sense, but I remember those days fondly and I am very proud of my college accomplishments.

Well, I think I will find a book to reread .... teasing .... sort of ....

Thank you, Anita, for being here and for writing here .... take care, and good luck to you and to Alexander ....

Anita said...

Ok FramWhen you do the blocking time we find other open post to write in..and you dont have to reply!

I think your last post was amusing!Very lovely!Got a bright smile reading ,seeing and listening to the music!!Ahh those were the days
Old time German and Norweigan music!Trekkspill!



Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed

Havent heard those lines since my mom was alive!Shhe sort of teased me with those words .(and do you know what..at my work treating an old Diaconisse..she asked me of my name tht is to mean my real name..It ocurred she was the nurse I got my name from..well one of them!Life can be funny and people you wonder about sometimes are really close but you dont know that)


I love the picture.Its like Alex is doing !!hahahhaha
He wasreally tired of school yes..but now wwe have come to an deal with the Teacher High school so it went very well--He is hanging on and thats good I think!

Iam thinking of a post one of the upcoming days..Snow is coming around my streest so worth taking a snap or two..

You must never doubt your writing skills..you are perfecktly good and you know it..it is just that you are bored and need new updates..I think!

Ok..new storm is on its way..whistling around every corner in my home.. in the woods..Very dark it is indeed

Take good care now dear friend.Come back soon

Anita

Fram Actual said...

There is no hiding from Anita ....

She searches until she finds me and when she finds me she writes a note to me. When she writes a note to me, I feel a need to reply to her .... hmmmm .... she must have cast a spell on me.

I like old adages and clichés. Sometimes, I search to learn their origins. I would have thought "bright-eyed and bushy-tailed" would have been much older than it is .... perhaps it is older, but the first written record of it only dates back to the 1930s.

Yes, I think it is good that Alexander will continue his studies. It cannot hurt him and it might pay dividends in the future. My two major areas of college study were English and history. I actually had people tell me that other than using my college degrees for teaching I was wasting my time and that I should not even bother to include my college studies on my resumes. I think I have had the last laugh in that regard.

My weather has been cold and rainy, but there has been snow only once and that was gone by the end of the day it fell. It is not unusual to have a snowstorm the week of Halloween, which is next week. We shall see what happens ....

I think we both might be right about my writing. I have been very good at times, at least in a journalistic sense, but I am not writing day-to-day any more so the skill level has been falling. Writing is like anything else .... it is a "use it or lose it skill," and I am not using it enough to maintain a good level, much less improve the level.

Anita writes: ".... it is just that you are bored and need new updates..I think! " This is right, too. It is one of many things which I need to change. At the moment, I am sort of drifting like a ship without a rudder, going wherever the winds and the currents take me. This most definitely needs to be changed, and I am the only one who can accomplish the change, make a course correction in the right direction.

As for me posting, I probably will not again until November 10 -- the Marine Corps birthday. As for you posting, I hope you will and when you do, I will see it and I will write a comment for you.

Take care and stay safe and be happy, Anita .... and tell Alexander to continue his education, both formal and informal. It is possible to lose a great deal as an individual forges forward through life, but the one thing that can never be taken away is the knowledge gained during the journey. Later, beautiful ....

Kaya said...

I never was bored with your posts, Fram. You are writing interesting and thoughtful posts. I remember that you wrote about yourself that you are a generalist and I agree with this statement. You have a super ability to discuss every possible topic.

And you write the best comments I have ever read. They have a meaning and they are sincere.

You are the one who found the right words about my dog Tasha, no one wrote these words to me, even some of my Russian girlfriends. I never thanked you for these words but they will always stay with me, Fram. They are unforgettable.

Well, I don't want to lose Fram we all know. I think it would very sad.

Fram Actual said...

It appears there is another superb tracker in the midst. Her name is Kaya and in addition to being a skilled huntress, she also is charming and has a silver tongue -- which is to say her speech is persuasive and filled with compliments and flattery.

You are too kind, Kaya. There are many things which interest me and among them are some about which I have a degree of knowledge and, often, a few opinions -- but, the "ability to discuss every possible topic" is more than a few light years too far.

I do try to make my comments meaningful and have no fear about what I write in them. It makes me happy that you enjoy them and appreciate them. My comments are like what I think/believe/state about my posts: I write what I want to write; if anyone reads them, good; if anyone writes a comment for them, so much the better.

My posts and my comments are like the lyrics in Ricky Nelson's garden party song: You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself. These things said, I still think my writing style and the quality of my writing are deteriorating and becoming boring .... and, I need to figure out what to do about it.

As for Tasha, I have had a dog (or two or three or ....) as a companion most of the time since I was a very, very small boy. I know what each of them has meant to me and simply translate my feelings into the ways I believe others also feel about their "puppy kids."

Well, Kaya, there really is not much chance I will abandon the sea of blogs, but I do need to refocus and, perhaps, revise a number of elements in my life -- including my blog -- and somehow find a way to make life interesting for me again.

Take care and stay safe and be happy, Kaya. I have many good memories about you from our exchanges among our posts and comments, especially things you wrote about your childhood and your initial marriage and your journey to America. I also especially admire your persistence and drive and hard work climbing the ladder to become a skilled photographer. Talent must be accompanied by dedication to achieve worthy goals, and you possess both ....

Something special ....