Monday, August 6, 2018

Three days in a row .... two


The second offering from the camera of Ansel Adams is this view of the majestic scenery within Yosemite National Park. Visible in the photograph are some of the notable landmarks within the park: El Capitan (left), Sentinel Rock (sort of center in the far distance), Cathedral Rocks (three of them center/right) and Bridalveil Fall (sort of closest center/right). I am not at all certain if my attempt at describing the location of these landmarks helped, but I tried ....

The UFO performance for today is from a 1974 concert -- four songs and twenty minutes of "wish I had been there." Michael Schenker, one of the "gods of the guitar" (I write those words with a chuckle), is the long-haired, blonde, teenage kid playing lead guitar. He still is performing today and I saw him a couple of years ago when the "Michael Schenker Band" swung through the Twin Cities for a one-night stand.

A very brief history of the shower

As I was taking a shower this morning (not too early, mind you), I began to wonder when they originated. No doubt, before the dawn of history, I surmised, as I had visions of Neanderthals and Denisovans and even pre-human ancestors standing in enchantment with a broad smile beneath a waterfall admiring the wonders of Nature and enjoying the marvelous feeling of water running over their bodies.

This, obviously, was the case. Being a bit more curious, I turned to the oracle of today -- the internet -- and learned recorded evidence demonstrates that Egyptians and Mesopotamians had indoor shower rooms. And, everyone (I assume) is aware of the "Old Greeks" and their propensity for bathing and showering, and that the ancient Romans took with them their "thermae" -- bathhouses -- wherever they went in the world as they knew it then.

Moving to the North American continent, I can sort of visualize the Native Americans of ages past and, more recently, early explorers standing beneath Bridalveil Fall in Yosemite National Park as seen in the far distance of the photograph by Ansel Adams accompanying this post.

In terms of the "modern/mechanical" shower, it was patented in England in 1767 by an individual named William Feetham. For that, I enthusiastically and sincerely thank you, Willie ....

Personally, I cannot imagine life without the presence of the shower. There are times when I think of the billions who have existed since humankind and its predecessors came down out of the trees who never experienced a shower during their lifetimes. I feel sorry for them .... I mean, really, I do ....

When I am in a shower, I never want to leave it. No amount of adjectives can describe the physical and the mental feelings/pleasures derived from being within a shower. I guess I will say a shower is absolute delight, and let it go at that ....

There is no need to thank me for this bit of Monday morning enlightment. I consider it to be my sort of "good deed" for the day. So, now .... rock on, baby ....

4 comments:

Anita said...

I love this scenery within Yosemite National Park. I really really should like to be there!


You have a good taste in photography Fram!

I hope you will post some more i enjoy things like this very much

My day has been outdoor fishing.Yes got alot of mackerels and I put it in the pan fried with some special stuff and ate it all up

Its good spending time at the sea.(I got the fish hook in my thum, well that was not so funny)But I get soo sleepy!!All that sea air

Also The Ship( the

wreck) of Amundsen Queen Maud.(.remember Fram the artic expeditions..)Has visited our town after almost a 100 years .

Soon I will upload a post of it..but now really soo tired..See you later!


love the music!
Anita

Fram Actual said...

I just now noticed your comment for this post, Anita .... better late than never, right?

Yes, Yosemite is beautiful beyond words, for sure. I never have been there, either, but it is on my list of places to go .... some day, I hope ....

As for my future posts, we shall see what road they travel and, when there is a fork in the road, which path they follow. I usually do not plan ahead in regard to posts, but simply wait for some thought to come drifting through my mind -- some thoughts I capture and explore, others just drift away, fade away.

I do recall reading about Roald Amundsen and his explorations, but if I ever knew about the fate of his ship, the Maud, I had forgotten it and I had no idea the ship (she) was back in Norway, much less in Bergen. Over the years, since I was a boy, my "hero" in regard to Arctic adventures has been Fridtjof Nansen and his excursion aboard his ship, the Fram. I once had aspirations to ski across Greenland as he once did, but somewhere along the line I became aware that journey will never come to pass.

I no longer fish and I very / very / very rarely have eaten them. I do not think I could survive long in Norway, where fish are among the primary sources of food. But, I do enjoy being on water -- any water -- in any boat, small or large. Actually, I suppose I should say "on or in" the water, for water is one of my "great loves."

Thank you, Anita, for coming and for commenting. Yes, the music of UFO is superb ....

Anita said...

Hah Hah not eat fish??!!!!

It is soo healthy and good!Making it over the fireplace beside the tent..listening to the grasshoppers thats life!

You americans only eat red meat then??!!!

I know you could not be here for a long time in your cowboy boots..too much rain..however..time is a changing..now everybody walks in rubber shoes all year around...Hotpants and miniskirts as well in winther as summer..those years of Canadian goose clothes is all gone..i think it is because we are becoming more international..there are people here to studyfrom all over the world..

If you say black yellow or white ..you get a punished with 5000kr in penalty..So we better behave our tongues


ok waterboy!

This was out of your post sorry about that

See you around!

Fram Actual said...

Since I was a boy, I never have been an eater of fish, Anita. Everyone else in my family enjoys fish, but, for me, there was (and still is) something "alien" about fish. Add to that, I am a person who only eats to live. There are some foods I enjoy and a few I absolutely love -- such as banana cream pie and old-fashioned cake doughnuts and lefse -- but if I could take a pill or two every day to replace eating food, I would go for it without a second thought.

Modern materials are replacing many traditional items in clothing -- goose down and duck down in jackets, for instance -- because they are lighter, easier to obtain and do a better job than the traditional materials. I do most things the way I prefer to do them, and dressing the way I want to dress is among them .... and, my cowboy boots go where I go, rain or snow or shine ....

I try to be well-mannered and polite, but I do have a loose tongue which has gotten me into trouble a number of times. Frankly, I do not believe governments should be attempting to control moral values and social mores or norms. Legislating dogma is particularly offensive, I think.

Time for me to move along for now .... thank you, Anita, for your return and for your words. Take care and stay safe and see you here and there ....

Something special ....