Monday, July 19, 2021

"I dream of souls that are always free"

A view from the morning ....

"Outside the dawn is breaking"

If for whatever reason you do not live in a locale such as the one pictured in the July 4 post, the next best and somewhat logical thing to do is to set yourself up in a situation where you delude yourself into believing you are in the midst of Nature.

I am operating under the assumption that while you might not be as much of an "outdoors freak" as I am, you do feel some need to have blue sky and billowy clouds above your head and to occasionally sleep in the open beneath the stars and .... well, you get my drift and, as a judge sometimes tells an attorney in film court dramas, "You've made your point, counselor."

From time to time I mention I sleep on the floor. Currently, that is my habit, I mean. I have been known to sleep in a pool of water or on a pile of gravel, which make for interesting stories. In any case, what you see in the photograph is what I frequently see when I first open my eyes in the morning -- the view out my window as seen from lying on the floor.

Seasons change, of course, and the sun is not always shining, but the view mostly is of Nature just outside my window. The sight is refreshing and calming for me, and to awaken to see snow falling or the moon passing by is especially enjoyable while experiencing the comforts of being indoors no matter what the outside weather.

At the present time, I do have a mattress beneath me, although there are other times when I prefer the hard floor. I like to think the mattress-on-the-floor technique is because I still am a college boy at heart. One of my daughters thinks it is because I am sort of "goofy" and the other daughter approves because she thinks it is healthy. "You literally are getting up in the morning instead of simply getting out of bed," she says, "which is healthy for you."

There are times I "delude" myself into thinking my sleeping habit probably is a combination of all three explanations ....


4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm blessed in that I actually do live in nature. I'm certainly not isolated (I have neighbors within shouting distance and only live a few minutes from town), but can easily walk out my door and surround myself with trees, pasture, and all sorts of bugs and critters. It's the best of both worlds, in my opinion. Then again, I've never been a city person.

Thanks to his time in Vietnam, my husband is clear on what his ideas of "camping" involve. It definitely involves sleeping in a bed, not on the ground.

Fram Actual said...

What you describe as the area around your home is the setup I had in Dakota, Kelly, but development has overtaken the area and I do not think I would buy there today.

Sleeping under any circumstances and conditions are techniques I "mastered" in the Marine Corps, although I had good "preliminary practice" beginning even before the Boy Scouts and on through high school. A friend and I lived in an "igloo" we made on a frozen lake for 10 days over Christmas break.

As of this moment in time, I have had all I need of sleeping under the stars for a while and will be content to watch them from the floor of the bedroom window.

In relation to your question in my July 4 post, I only know about school pledge requirements in Minnesota, and I had to check that out to learn the current status. I quote:

"Legislation passed in the 2003 session requires all Minnesota public schools, including charter schools, to recite the Pledge of Allegiance at least once a week. Individuals have the right not to participate. The law also allows school districts to opt out of the requirement through a vote of the school board."

Personally, I always say it at appropriate times, but almost always leave out a couple of words.

Thank you, Kelly, for your visit and your comment. I hope all is well and fine for you and your crew ....

Anita said...

Great photo , text and music !
I think it is a Maestro !Not all of us think of that and even to publish a photo of it.The trees are beautiful and the interior as well!
To wake up viewing the snow like that must be calming !I like that .

I think the sayings of one of your daughters are nice!"You literally are getting up in the morning instead of simply getting out of bed," she says, "which is healthy for you."Good!

Happy is he who does not grieve over what he lacks,
but rejoices over what he has.

I am glad and happy to see and read you are allright

All the best To you

Anita

Fram Actual said...

One of my favored activities is to observe people, places and things from varying angles. For instance, Anita, lying on my back in a meadow on a breezy, sunny autumn day and watching huge, billowy clouds drifting overhead. They seemingly are watching me watching them. Then, I might roll over and watch the activity going on in the grass before my eyes.

I once lived in a house with a vaulted ceiling and a skylight over the bed. The skylight was a bit too small and too far from the bed to really appreciate the sights it offered, but it was "cool."

Your remark, "Happy is he who does not grieve over what he lacks, but rejoices over what he has," had the sound of words from the Bible. I took a quick peek and discovered it came from Epictetus, an "Old Greek" Stoic philosopher.

In response to one of your statements in my July 4 post, both the Pledge of Allegiance and its straight-arm salute originated in 1892, although the words in the pledge have been modified since. The Italian Fascists began using the straight-arm salute in the 1920s, erroneously thinking it had been used by the ancient Romans. The German Nazis followed suit. So, the U.S. pledge and salute came long before the Fascists and the Nazis began to utilize it. Add to that, the U.S. Congress directed the salute should be replaced by the hand held over the heart in 1942 because of the Nazi adoption of the salute.

My jaunt might be called many things, but I do not feel the term "vacation" really is among them. I guess I sort of think of it as a recovery mission in search of me .... and, whatever it was, it pulled me back together again for the time being ....

This is turning into a fine summer for me, Anita .... I hope it is for you, as well .... later, Norwegian girl ....

Something special ....