Saturday, October 17, 2020

"Softer than a summer night"

I like the style and works of French impressionist Pierre-Auguste Renoir and I like the face of Margot. It seems Renoir liked her, too, because he painted her a number of times. I found a few more of those works and picked one for post No. 2 of this episode. By the way, I broke this into two pieces simply because it is long/long/long, which often discourages people from reading a particular item. This way, I figured long/lo would only be one-half as discouraging. I also selected three more pieces of music to include here today. They are Luigi Boccherini -- Nuria Rial performing "Virgo virginum praeclara" / Jay & the Americans -- "This Magic Moment" / Ricky Nelson -- "Never Be Anyone Else But You."

Yep, magic .... Part 2 of 2

Definitions of magic straight from Merriam-Webster: The use of means believed to have supernatural power over natural forces and an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source. There undoubtedly are more, but we will leave it at those for now.

My own priorities in magic have centered around two. One has been in relation to time travel, which is very romantic in one sense, but sort of impractical in terms of quantum physics. There is a theory that it might be possible to locate a wormhole and use it as a bridge to travel through time. According to general relativity, this concept might actually work, but when it comes to our understanding of the Universe, general relativity probably does not have the final word.

Actually, physics is not "my thing," and I prefer the simpler idea that time is like a river and we each are in our own canoe drifting along in it .... and, if this is true, should it not be possible to paddle to the shoreline, get out of the canoe and walk forward or back along the riverbank? Sort of like physics for idiots, I suppose ....

Time to divert into a story of sorts. I am pretty much of a right person at the right place at the right time individual .... and conversely, the wrong at the wrong at the wrong.

 This magic moment

 So different and so new

 Was like any other

 Until I kissed you

And then it happened

 It took me by surprise

 I knew that you felt it too

 By the look in your eyes

Sweeter than wine

Softer than a summer night

Those were some of the lyrics from the song, "This Magic Moment." I have kissed a young lady or two or three, a few with significant passion, but only once did a kiss seem magically perfect. A group of  "we budding journalists" went to a saloon one evening after work and, a few hours later, only two of us remained. The young lady was sitting on one side of a booth and I was on the other side. We were leaning inward, forearms on the table, looking at each other, talking (about what, I cannot recall) when we both slowly moved nearer and nearer until we were kissing.

If there is such a thing as an impeccable kiss, this was it. Our lips seemed to fit perfectly, as though they had been molded each to match the other's. We kissed like that a few more times. I thought I might melt. I will not describe the evening further than to say each kiss seemed as "magical" as the first and that a few minutes later, we both left and went our separate ways.

In one sense, that is the end of the story, but, from another aspect, it is not.

I was married (for the second time) with two young children at home / totally career-oriented / determined to make my marriage work. The young lady was single / very attractive / an excellent reporter / just over a relationship.

We were alone together, by her design, a few times after that. We talked and talked and talked and got to know each other very well in terms of history and personality -- but, there never was anything more to it. Never even another kiss, although it was obvious we both remembered the first few and wanted to experience them again.

At some point along the way, I had begun to wonder if she possibly was the "right/ideal" person for me, but our encounter for me was the wrong place at the wrong time. I moved to a new job in a new town a few months later .... then on to still other places.  Our lives continued to intersect occasionally, always by a visit or a telephone call from her. 

She eventually left journalism and became a high school English teacher. It one point, I discovered she was teaching in a school three blocks as the blue jay flies from my residence. How do you interpret that other than destiny? By then, though, we had not had contact for a few years and I put her out of my mind.

People sometimes say they have found a "soul mate." You occasionally meet someone who claims to have a mate who sets them aflame. Among the things I wonder about (curiosity again) is how many are being honest when they say these things or how many have told themselves those things so many times they actually have come to believe them and affection has replaced love. Love is born in an instant, I believe, although it might take years to recognize it.  Affection grows during the passage of time. I wonder where the line is between the two -- or if there is a line .... 

I do not believe there are words adequate to describe "the kiss." Have you ever encountered a particular word in a language for which there is no equivalent word in any other language? I suppose I could try to invent a word for this experience, but every word needs a definition and this would be where I encounter an impenetrable wall. All I know is that I never have experienced anything like it before or since .... hence, it shall remain undefined in any language.

My conclusion for this event and other experiences?  I believe there can be "magic" by any definition between individuals and, although I have not experienced any other forms (of which I am aware), I have no reason to believe it cannot exist .... which is light years away from actually believing in it or disbelieving in it in other forms ....





8 comments:

Anita said...

Very nice painting Fram!
My first reaction to this post is What a flirtatious kitty you have been! Kiss another while you were married and two children at home ?! It's like Adam and Eve in paradise where Eve ate of the apple It's typical of a fish like you and do such a thing.I could never have done such a thing.It must have been in your younger days this I think
Or have I misunderstood. This became your second wife?

About the spiritual and and is there something after this life and can one sense supernatural things, time travel or such. It is not for us to know. We have a meaning in this life that it is to live it nice and respectful.Then you have nothing to be annoyed that day it is only you and the creator.But who can live like this? We are just people all.Forgiveness is important .We all make mistakes every day.But I think the main focus must be to do the best one can with the abilities and limitations we have been given. Nice post Fram! Although a little provocative! Nice music too. Wish you a great weekend! Thank you for sharing your life. You have to write more about yourself so we can learn more about you

Fram Actual said...

If you question my motivation and morality for "the kiss," Anita, you must also question those of the young lady. We all have strengths and weaknesses, demonstrate courage and cowardice, accept some responsibilities and flee from others. I think I have come to know myself well in those regards and can live with them, even if not happily, and I will not speculate about the character of the young lady beyond the description I already have given of her. That last thing I consider one of my strengths.

No, she was not a wife and I could only venture educated guesses about why we never went further than we did that one night -- and, I choose not to do that.

You mention Adam and Eve. There are similar tales from other sources which date to about the same time periods. There is the Sumerian "Garden of the Gods" in contrast to the Hebrew "Eden," for instance. Scholars argue which stories are the oldest and which influenced which, but as of now the best point of origin for any (and all) is around 2000 BCE. No matter which version you consult, I have been known not only to waver, but to fall.

In a Christian sense, there is not a single one of the ten commandments I have not broken one way or another depending upon whose definition one is accepting, some multiple times. I am not ashamed of having done that and make no excuses.

Your comment is logical and thoughtful, Anita. I agree with everything you said, but will note that although curiosity killed the cat, my own primarily has caution and go lights and I attribute that to my occasional departure from the straight and narrow.

Take care and be safe, Ms. Norway .... good luck, searching for your Mandarin, and stay on the straight and narrow ....

Kelly said...

Plenty to think about and comment upon in this long/lo post. (thanks for splitting it - I'm one of those with attention span problems)

Usually my first thought with magic is illusion, as in David Copperfield and the like. It can be fun to watch when done well, and I rarely feel a need to understand how it's done.

Let's talk about your paragraph about "soul mates". Where does lust fall into this? I tend to think that folks who believe they're madly in love are often just in lust. And I believe that there can be contentment even when affection has fallen away. Maybe contentment and love can co-exist in the aftermath of lust and affection. Or maybe it just all comes down to semantics.

Fram Actual said...

In the newspaper racket, it is called diarrhea of the keyboard. Grouchy editors usually can cure the problem. I either was the editor or ignored the ones I had, so I wrote until I was happy .... or satisfied .... or whatever. I thought about breaking this into three pieces and probably should have, but in the end I assumed few people would read it no matter how long or how short it was and left it alone. If you actually read it all, Kelly, I applaud you and I thank you.

I guess I really do not associate magic with stagecraft. I think of stagecraft as sleight of hand and illusion -- nothing more, nothing less.

I purposely avoided the notion of lust because I think of it mostly as a short-term thing, although I suppose I hinted at it when I wrote "someone who claims to have a mate who sets them aflame." I probably would call affection and contentment cousins, if not more closely related.

My purpose with this post mostly revolved around who would reply (if any) and what would be said in comments, and to learn if anyone would mention a similar experience.

Although sex and love are intertwined, I think of them as separate and one does not necessarily mean the presence of the other, even among consenting adults. In fact, more often than not, sex is not connected with love, in my opinion.

I also think semantics enter the portrait, and any number of words/emotions is involved. To some people (including me), contentment and affection are closely related, for instance, and habit probably also is a factor -- as are security and self-satisfaction and just plain liking someone.

The long and the short of it is that the recipe of love is made up of many ingredients, each and every one of them complex in itself and, perhaps/probably, a few of them truly magical in every implication of that word. At least, that is what I think ....

Thank you, Kelly, for coming and for writing a comment. Take care, be safe and "may you stay forever young ...."

Anita said...

Thank you for nice and good reply.

You live and has lived life full.So you understand.
Iam glad you spoke like you did and do.There is so much temptations around,-to be a human is difficult.

I have thought much around your post and glad to read it
No one is perfect.We all do and have done things that is not moral correct.But the nice guy is the one who admit his /hers sin and can live with it.Thats what I call respect

So all in all a good post,better then just fantasies and meaningless fuzz

Wish you a nice sunday in Minnesoota, America .The land where it is more guns than there is people ;)

Norske jenten :)




















Fram Actual said...

Anita writes: "I am glad you spoke like you did and do .... I have thought much around your post and glad to read it."

Fram replies: I am glad you read it, too, Anita. I have thought much about this incident over the years, and am glad I wrote about it. There is no mystery to it, except for my own behavior. I do not understand how I can be strong and resist temptation at times and be weak and succumb to it at other times. Yes, human -- all too human -- I suppose is the answer, but I still do not understand why we are the way we are and I do not understand why we do not understand in a logical fashion why we are the way we are. Flawed in design, for sure, but why and for what purpose? Uffff .... enough about that ....

It does not surprise me that the number of guns in the United States exceeds the number of people. The number of firearms is not a problem; the nature of the individuals possessing them is where the problem lies. I think it probably always will be that way ....

I watched a program on television a few days ago about the life and murder of John Lennon. That is what I mean by the "nature of the individuals" in terms of gun ownership. There is no protection from loonies like Mark David Chapman who shoot down innocent people from ambush and then wait at the site for police to arrest them.

When I was young, I think I was a typical, male gun owner. I wanted three, a rimfire rifle such as a .22 caliber for target shooting; a centerfire rifle such as a .30-06 caliber for big game hunting; a shotgun for bird hunting. Somewhere along the line I also became interested in handguns for protection and target shooting. The next thing I knew, I was buying and selling and trading firearms, and the number I owned had grown exponentially.

Thank you, Anita, for your second trip here and your second comment. The Norske jenten is wise beyond her years ....

Simply Me said...

Hi, Fram :)
I'm sitting in the airport in Nashville at the moment waiting for my delayed flight. Tara and I had such a beautiful, beautiful trip in every way! We have had spotty internet and super busy days and nights on vacation so I have not been here. I'm happy to be here reading your lovely post today! You never disappoint :)
I believe that magic happens in so many different and unique ways. I think of the first time I held my child after giving birth...that was a magical moment never to be duplicated. I remember sitting on soft white sand on a beach in Kaui watching dolphins swim by and looking up to a rainbow across the sky with giant cotton-candy clouds. That was magic. I remember sitting in a rain forest with hunters cooking a goat over an open fire, mist and green everywhere. That was magic. I remember my first trip to Italy and walking into Saint Peter's Square on a rainy day. The sky was gray and it was drizzling. There were what seemed like hundreds of people with different colored umbrellas lighting up the gray landscape, towering statues overhead along with the excitement of being in a foreign country for the first time...magical! There are many people and many moments that weave slivers of magic into the fabric of our lives. I have had many a lovey kiss in my days. The best kissing experience I had was with a handsome guy. We kissed all day on the beach and then carried on kissing in the car into the evening. You might say it was a Kiss-A-Thon :) I remember coming home that night and writing in my diary how magical it was because I didn't want to forget it. I wrote it in pencil and years later I went to re-read that moment and my words sadly had faded. I kissed so much my lips were chapped for a week! The moment in time will always be memorable though.
I like to think about making future magical moments and look forward to the prospect of more magic in my life. The magic keeps us going.
I can't listen to your songs as they are not coming up on the computer here but I look forward to listening when I get home.
I enjoyed my time the most in the mountains of North Carolina. I especially loved the areas called Black Mountain and Lure Lake. I was so happy there. I wonder, can a mermaid really leave the salty sea and be happy in the crystal waters of a lake? I believe so, but time will tell :)
Stay well and happy and magical :)
Kelly

Fram Actual said...

I changed flights once-upon-a-time at the Nashville airport, although I really cannot recall much about it other than thinking it was a bit smaller than I had expected. Long time ago, so maybe it has undergone dramatic changes ....

I will not go into a litany of my magic moments, but I have had my fair share, too, and sincerely hope for a few more.

As for kissing, my first former wife and I began dating when we were barely sixteen. We both were "absolute beginners" and rather shy -- country hicks, you know. We actually dated about six weeks before we even kissed. After that, it did not take long for kissing to become our hobby.

She was of Scandinavian and French ancestry, which may or may not have anything to do with things, but we frequently had kissing marathons. We would try "regular" kissing, French kissing, kissing with our eyes open, make attempts to determine how long we could hold a kiss .... well, you name it ....

Our favorite parking place, incidentally, was a cemetery. We figured no one would bother us there, and we were right.

One winter night under a full moon we parked and fell asleep. When we woke up, we were snowed in .... not unusual in Minnnnneeeeesnowtaaa .... I will skip the details, but it was a week before I got my car back and a week beyond that before we decided to try another date.

Her father was a bull moose of a man with a hot temper and a heavy taste for liquor .... he had made it plain that he did not like me, and I thought he might shoot me on sight, but he had cooled down enough to snarl a smile at me when I drove in to pick his daughter up .... we managed to get her home on time for the next few weeks .... but, he still did not like me .... end of today's episode ....

It is cool you and Tara make the trip together and I am glad the two of you enjoyed your adventure.

Yes, I do think a mermaid can make the transition from salt water to inland water -- hopefully clear and clean and not too cold inland water. Water pollution is a real problem and invasive fish species are destroying plant life which wildlife depend upon for food, so it takes a bit of care to pick and choose destinations carefully both for fishing and for swimming. The last I was aware, for instance, only one meal a year is recommended for consumption of Lake Michigan trout and some fish there are on a "never eat" list.

Thank you, Kalifornia Kelly, for your visit and your comment. Take care, be safe and, as you arrive in California, think of me with nearly a foot of snow on the ground .... night/night/night ....

Something special ....