Sunday, February 16, 2020

So many mysteries, so little time to solve

This is one view of some of the land I lived on in Dakota and the house atop the hill. It is the last house on the only road through the area and is bordered on two sides by miles of state and federal woodland and is sort of a paradise to me. The first video, by the way, is about the Indian concept of Nature and religion (sort of one and the same) and the second is social activist, musician, Oscar-winning composer Buffy Sainte-Marie singing her song about going home, which, in her case, is both a physical place and to the Native American "old ways" ....
The henge in the woods
I have written a few things about this place in the past, noting especially how there scarcely is a flat area in the two acres I mowed among the seven I owned. This twilight photograph, taken a couple of weeks ago, is a good illustration of the terrain in general.
I also have noted that south from the house is the Missouri River, less than a mile away, and across the river is Nebraska, with the view of it going on for a number of miles until vanishing away with the curvature of the earth.
I also have noted that the wife and daughter of the family which built the house were murdered by a prison escapee while living in another house a few hundred yards away. The killer was captured the same day by an agent of the state Division of Criminal Investigation during an intense manhunt. The agent later told me he had his rifle sights trained on the killer, who was armed with guns he had stolen from the house, and now wished he had pulled the trigger.
Shifting sideways, a few days ago while refreshing my memory about another venture I re-read this material from the Meriwether Lewis and William Clark "Corps of Discovery Expedition" which passed by here on the Missouri River in 1804 and again in 1806.
Lewis and Clark and ten men walked from the Missouri to "Spirit Mound" near the Vermillion River and made the ascent. The Sioux, Omaha and Otoe tribes told of spirits who inhabited the site and attacked anyone who approached the hill.  On August 24, 1804, the day before expedition reached the mouth of the Vermillion River, which they called the White Stone River, Clark wrote:
"Capt Lewis and my Self Concluded to visit a High Hill Situated in an emence Plain three Leagues N. 20° W. from the mouth of White Stone river, this hill appear to be of a Conic form and by all the different Nations in this quater is Supposed to be a place of Deavels or that they are in human form with remarkable large heads and about 18 inches high; that they are very watchfull and ar armed with Sharp arrows with which they can kill at a great distance; they are said to kill all persons who are so hardy as to attemp to approach the hill; they state the tradition informs them than many indians have suffered by these little people and among others that three Mahas Souix Ottoes and other neibghouring nations believe this fable that no consideration is suffiecient to induce them to approach this hill."
The only things the Lewis & Clark troupe encountered were vast numbers of bison and large flocks of birds -- a virtual Eden ....
Back on point: No, this house is not atop "Spirit Mound," but, within the realm of probability, the "henge" of stones partially visible in the near-foreground was a religious or ceremonial project of the same Indians. Relatively large stones form a circle which has a distinct entryway and two larger stones at the approximate center. Most of the stones were covered by snow when this photograph was taken. By large, most would require two individuals or some manner of conveyance to move them.
The first (and only) written reference I have found of them dates to the 1920s when a deer hunter mentioned the "circle of big stones" in a newspaper article. He had no idea where the stones came from or how long they had been there, but speculated they were of Native American origin. I have spoken to members of the Yankton Sioux tribe seeking information, but no one will admit to any knowledge of the stone circle.
I did do a flimsy archaeological survey of the immediate area, but only found .50 caliber slugs. It seems the area was used by Army Air Force fighter pilots to practice strafing runs during World War II.
The house and the seven acres continue to be owned by the "Framonite  Clan," so as time and money and health and interests dictate, I can resume my inquiry whenever the mood strikes me ....








5 comments:

Anita said...

Beautiful story and picture Fram!
I quess it was hardtimes in the winther with kids and stuff and all that snow!no shooping there I belive
I think it is a warm and welcoming house.I see the Indian stones yes!They are amazing.! I can only say may Wakan Tanka be with the people living there😊It is good you can visit homestad as often as you wish
Mange hilsner hjemlandet

Fram Actual said...

If you had been a minute slower or I had been a minute faster, your comment would not have appeared, Anita. Something came up this evening and I was going to block comments again in anticipation of publishing still another post in a day or two. There has been at least one mountain lion and one bobcat roaming the hills within yards of this house, and the he, she or it mountain lion was captured on an inexpensive trail camera last night feasting on a dead buck. Seems to me that is worth another post ....

In many ways, it was a challenge living here. It took me about 30 hours to cut the grass, which means it often went three or more weeks between cuts and rarely was all done the same weekend. Once or twice a winter, I had to hand shovel snow a half-mile to get to a road which had been plowed, and many times I had to cut a path through periodic waist-high drifts. But, I loved it there and felt the extra work and navigating the "danged hill" was worth the beauty and the freedom and the solitude living there gave me.

Do you remember the film, "Legends of the Fall?" In it, William Ludlow leaves the U.S. Army and moves to a remote part of Montana. His wife, Isabel, does not adapt to the harsh Montana winters and the loneliness, and leaves him to move to the East Coast. In as much as I can tell, that is what happened to my then-wife. She was too much of a byjente and did not like the isolation of our Dakota home and left. I stayed one more winter, then left, too. So, one might say living there cost me a marriage.

Thank you, Anita, for coming and for writing a comment. You are a special lady and I greatly value your visits to me. Take care / be safe / be happy / always be sweet and pass deg for fjelllĂžver i mĂžrket ....

Anita said...

Hah hah Pass deg for fjellĂžver i mĂžrket!!Ja jeg skal vise deg en video som skremte meg veldig..trodde det var ghost..men viste seg til Ă„ vĂŠre..
Du mÄ ikke bli lei deg for at ingen kommenterer..Jeg kan hvertfall si at for meg er det bare jobb jobb..og det er tungt med disse narkomane og kriminelle..med sine Bowie kniver ..Ja jeg er sliten og en kan aldrig snu ryggen til noen
Uff nok om meg..Jeg syns du forklarer det veldig bra ang det huset..Synd din ex kone ikke ville bo der..Det er jo ett drĂžmme hjem.
HÄper din sÞnn tar vare pÄ plassen
Jeg skal se den filmen." Legend of the fall.."
Du mÄ finne deg en venninde ,ung og sterk, i Amerika som kan vÊre med deg i naturen
Alt godt til deg
Dette ble pÄ norsk fordi det er lettere
Ok Fram.Send meg bilder av den fine katten tatt med villmarks camera
Jeg har fri i 3 dager og skal bare sove og lese Odins Smykke❤
Hilsner!

Anita said...

Here is the sound that scares me going in the wood..
Sorry if I have already told you
https://youtu.be/8DNJYVSp47g
https://youtu.be/8DNJYVSp47g

Fram Actual said...

I have to admit I would jump a foot or two into the air should I hear that sound while walking through woodland and did not know what was making it. Your "critters" look like some form of Eurasian lynx, but I am not certain if that is what they are or not. Lynx do cross the border coming down from Canada for an occasional visit to the United States, and some set up housekeeping in northern tier states.

I think you would enjoy, "Legends of the Fall," Anita. Anthony Hopkins and Brad Pitt are in it. The film fades away at its end with Pitt fighting a grizzly bear with only a knife and the narrator saying: "It was a good death."

As for the photographs of my "critter," remember they were taken at night with a relatively inexpensive camera so there is not a great deal of clarity. It clearly is a mountain lion, though, and he clearly is feeding off a dead deer.

I sympathize with your working conditions. They seem to be comparable to my experiences when working in a prison system. Attacks by inmates on staff were not common, but they did happen. I was involved in one altercation myself when an inmate went after a dentist. I won .... you should have seen the dentist run .... I still laugh about it ....

My son is taking very good care of the land and the property .... he is a good boy in every way ....

And, to you, Ms. Bergen, my thanks once again for your visit and your comment .... stay sweet .... lynxens lyd er uhyggelig ....

Something special ....