Tuesday, June 25, 2019

The day time ran out


Every year about this time
Every year as May 17 approaches, my mind shifts to thoughts of George Armstrong Custer and the troopers of the Seventh United States Army Cavalry. That date was on a Wednesday in 1876 and it was the departure date from Fort Abraham Lincoln in the middle of what is now North Dakota on the ill-fated expedition which for many men ended on Sunday, June 25, on the plains by the Little Bighorn River in what is now southeastern Montana.
Many hours in time and many miles in travel have gone into learning as much as my meager mind can hold related to Custer and the days of his 36 years on the surface of the earth --  especially the final month. In a way, I feel exhausted and worn out regarding this episode in the life and legend and mythology of George .... but, I always can find a few words ....
As a journalist, an individual comes in personal contact with all manner of other individuals and, depending up where he or she is working, they range in scope and character from the very poor to the wealthy and powerful; from the obscure to those on the pinnacle of the celebrity mountain; from the shy and timid to the extremely brazen; from the worst criminals imaginable to people among the upper echelons of law enforcement. I assume you get my drift.
I have characterized myself as a chameleon of sorts, who as a reporter has been able to interview a governor in the morning and a murderer in the afternoon, and to make each of them comfortable speaking with me about their lives and loves and you name it. This trait mostly stems from a natural-born curiosity and a willingness to ask anyone anything. An oddity about the time and the miles I have put in related to studying the "Custer Connections" is that it almost seems to me many of the individuals in that story have come to be like people I have interviewed person-to-person and I have actual memories of their words and body language. Hmmmm ....
I will add that I have interviewed some descendants of participants on both sides of the battle and been told a few oral traditions which have been passed along over the years -- some believable, some not.
Custer died that day, along with 15 other officers of the Seventh Calvary, 242 enlisted and 10 civilians/scouts, for a total of 268 killed, plus another 55 wounded. Lakota Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapahoe casualties numbered at least 36 killed, 168 wounded (according to Sitting Bull) or 136 killed, 160 wounded (according to Red Horse).
Such were the numbers of dead and wounded that day. Pictured here are eight of those officers. I put them here this day as a reminder that many more men than G.A. Custer died the afternoon of June 25, 1876 -- 143 years ago today -- and through images of these eight to show them as actual flesh and blood, breathing human beings whose lives were snuffed out that bloody Sunday at "Greasy Grass," as the Indians called it. No more hope/dreams/plans .... no more anything after the day their time ran out ....
Some incidentals:
Thomas Custer was George's younger brother by six years and had won two Congressional Medals of Honor during the Civil War. His reputation was as a heavy-duty womanizer.
James Calhoun was married to Margaret "Maggie" Custer, George's sister. "Jimmi" was thought of as a serious and humorless man. His body and those of the troopers he commanded were found in battle formation, indicating a brave death. A Smith & Wesson revolver of his which had been left behind at Fort Lincoln is on display at the battlefield museum.
W.W. Cooke lied about his age to join the army at age 17, and was one of the best shots and fastest runners in the regiment. He was the author of the famous note: "Benteen. Come On. Big village. Be quick. Bring packs. WW Cooke. P.S. Bring Pacs."
Benjamin "Benny" Hodgson was a favorite of both George and Elizabeth "Libbie" Custer. He was wounded during the retreat of troops commanded by Major Marcus Reno and was killed soon after crossing the Little Bighorn River. There actually were two 2nd Lieutenant Benjamin Hubert Hodgsons killed at the Little Bighorn, which creates confusion.
Myles Keogh was born in Ireland and a professional soldier. As a 20-year-old, he fought for the Papal States during the war for unification of Italy and later in the Civil War. An Agnus Dei medal he wore around his neck still was on his body when he was found. His horse, Comanche, was the only survivor in George's immediate command.
George Yates met Custer while recuperating from a Civil War wound. He was said by some to share an obsession for cleanliness with George. Fort Yates in Dakota Territory was named in his honor.
James "Jack" Sturgis was a 22-year-old lieutenant and one of nineteen troopers presumed killed at the Little Bighorn, but whose body never was found in the sense of positive identification. He is thought to have been buried in a mass grave at the battlefield.
Algernon Smith was part of the so-called "Custer Clan." He was given the nickname "Fresh" Smith by George to differentiate him from another soldier who bore the nickname "Salty" Smith.
All these men, unless otherwise noted, died near George on Custer Hill -- appropriately called by many Last Stand Hill.
Time flies whether you are having fun or not ....



15 comments:

Anita said...

Sorry late again..You know summer holidays
.I dont know anything about General Custer,only the movies, so it was great reading this post..Also your work as an journalist..must have been a great experience,what was you into I mean was it freelance or something like that..Have a great summer Fram and thanx again for sharing

Anita said...

Hei igjen..When I visit your site this comes up..just saying..Not secure or Dangerous

We suggest you don't enter any private or personal information on this page. If possible, don't use the site.

Not secure: Proceed with caution. Something is severely wrong with the privacy of this site’s connection. Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site.

You might see a "Login not secure" or "Payment not secure" message.

Dangerous: Avoid this site. If you see a full-page red warning screen, the site has been flagged as unsafe by Safe Browsing. Using the site will likely put your private information at risk.

Kaya said...

Anita, thanks a lot for your information! My blog also was Not Secure.

Fram, it's easy to fix this problem. Look at the address of your blog in the top left corner and you will see the words "Not secure". Go to Settings in your blog and then to "Basic". Check setting HTTPS and HTTPS redirected. In the little window next to it choose "Yes" instead of "No". And your blog will be secure. You will not see anymore "Not secured in the top left corner>

You wrote a great post and did an amazing research!!!

Kaya said...

I forgot to tell you when you will do everything I wrote above you will see a "lock" icon against your address of blog.

Good luck!

Fram Actual said...

Anita, there probably has been more written about George Armstrong Custer than about any other individual -- living or dead -- so it easy to learn as much as you care to know if you are interested. Personally, I find "his story" fascinating.

I have worked for a number of newspapers and done a fair amount of freelancing, as well, for newspapers mostly, for magazines, in public relations for companies and for individuals in and out of government, and I also have done a bit of ghost writing. It is enjoyable work and, with luck, the results can be monetarily rewarding.

Thank you, for the information about my blog. I will attempt to tend to it.

And, for sure, thank you, for coming and for writing a comment.

Fram Actual said...

Kaya, thank you, too, for coming and for your kind and complimentary words about my post; and for the warning regarding my blog and for providing a "fix" to the problem. I will take your advice and follow your instructions and we shall see what we shall see.

By the way, I think the young lady in your latest painting is positively beautiful and I especially like her eyes. Your abilities as a photographer overflow into talent as an artist .... keep it up ....

Anita said...

Thank you Kaya.I was not sure if I should say something but with what happened to my blogs fresh in memory I thought I better warn him.It seems to me to be allright now..It is secure with that green locker

Kaya said...

Hello, guys,

Anita you are a true Fram's friend who cares. If I didn't read your comment I would still have an unsecured blog (even don't what to think what would happen ). And nobody on my blog cared to point it out. I am very grateful to you for this comment.

Fram, I am going to write comments only to a few people and of course to you. I am very tired of playing the game "you write to me I write to you." Some comments I get are so meaningless. You know what I am talking about. I thought about closing blog and opening another but can't do it, have too much information and don't want to lose it. Sometimes I feel that I got into trap.

Wish you both all the best!!!!

Fram Actual said...

Anita, I hope you will always let me know if you see something "wrong" or "out of order" on my blog. I was not aware of any warnings associated with my blog at this time, and I wonder how many others might have noticed something, but kept right on passing by without alerting me.

Kaya is right about you, Anita .... "you are a true Fram's friend who cares" .... and I certainly know it and appreciate it. Thank you ....

Fram Actual said...

Kaya, you, too, are a special friend and I know it and truly appreciate it.

I periodically mention that I write and I post what pleases me on my blog without much care or concern what others might think of it. If someone pauses and reads what I write, great. If someone takes the time to write a comment, so much the better.

Everyone wants to be liked, whether they admit it or not. I do, very much. But, somewhere along the line I decided it is better to be honest about my beliefs and my opinions than to exaggerate or even be dishonest in my posts and my comments. Not everyone is that way, but it is the best way for me and, believe me, I have paid a price for it a few times.

So, carry on, Kaya ....

Kaya said...

Hello Fram,

I write my answer on your comment here because I am not sure that you would come to read it on my blog.

I am not striving for artistic and technically excellent photographs in my bird photography.

Some bird photographers post polished and heavily edited photographs of birds. I hate doing that , I want my birds to be in a natural surroundings that sometimes are messy. I explained it in my previous posts that people would not expect anything more. My blog is about wildlife and not about artistic photography.

By the way, in my amateur art I just experimenting and not striving to be the Artist artist. Everything I do it's for a pure enjoyment.

Fram Actual said...

My visits to your blog come before, during and after I write my comment, Kaya, so I most likely would see any response you write for me.

Actually, my comment usually is written on my second or third or even my fourth visit to your blog. I like to "digest," in a manner of speaking, the contents of your posts and to think about them for a while before I write anything. I also like to read the comments of others who have been to your blog and to "collect" their opinions.

I like your explanations, Kaya:

.... about photography: "My blog is about wildlife and not about artistic photography."

.... and about painting: "... in my amateur art I just experimenting and not striving to be the Artist artist. Everything I do it's for a pure enjoyment."

I think we are the same in that regard because you seem to be saying what I am saying, which is: "I write and I post what pleases me on my blog without much care or concern what others might think of it. If someone pauses and reads it, great. If someone takes the time to write a comment, so much the better." In other words, I am just me being me.

One of my flaws, perhaps, is that I have put together an arts and entertainment section for a newspaper and in that role frequently acted as a critic in areas such as books, plays, music, photography, painting and ad infinitum. The role of a critic, as I understand it, is to point out both what is good and what is bad -- in their opinion -- about whatever they happen to be reviewing. In short, to interpret the piece from their point of view. Rightly or wrongly, that is what I do on the blogs, as well. If you wish me to stop doing it that way, say the word and I will.

When conditions permitted back then in my former newspaper role, I would assign three or four individuals to review the same book or the same play or the same concert and seek comments from readers. Different eyes often see different things based on experience/education/likes & dislikes. Some people became upset with that technique, but I like and appreciate diversity of opinion which comes from "different eyes" looking at the same thing. Your blog may not be about "artistic photography" and you might not be striving for it and your "amateur art (might be) just experimenting and not striving to be the Artist artist," but my eyes see what I see because of who and what I am. What you are striving for and what you are producing are not necessarily the same thing .... or may be the same thing, but seen as more than or less than, as well .... that said, I will be happy to tone down my comments if you prefer.

So, here we are .... thank you, Kaya ....

Kaya said...

Fram, thank you for answering my comment in a very intelligent way.

I don't want you to tone down your comments because you will be someone I don't know and that will be very sad.

Sometimes I want that someone out there would share with me his/her experiences with birds. I know that it's almost impossible because most of my readers are street photographers and some just don't care.

And you are a journalist and a writer and perhaps not much around the birds. You are in a different world where history speaks loudly, where thoughts are controversial and opinions are strong.

I understand that people are extremely busy, it's the same with me but sometimes I want to hear something I don't know about birds. Is it too much? Is it too naive? Is it awfully foolish to want someone just to read once in a while my posts.

How many people read what you wrote, Fram? Truly read every sentence and then again reread the whole post before daring to write a comment. Yes, it takes time but in a long run you are gaining something while reflecting on what you read and it's very good because you are learning about a writer and his world and about yourself also.


Fram Actual said...

Birds are one of many areas of which I have very limited knowledge, Kaya, and what little I do know largely centers on water-related species -- primarily ducks and geese -- from having been an ardent hunter as a boy and from having as one of my companion hunters a boy who always carried a bird identification book in his pocket. Since I have not been a hunter for a number of years, that knowledge is fading and becoming outdated and obsolete.

Most of my photography experience stems from having carried a camera and periodically run darkrooms back in the good, old, 35mm newspaper days. I also have judged photography (and writing) competitions both inside and outside the world of journalism, so I feel more comfortable talking in the sense of what is good camera work and what is not. Actually, as a reporter and later an editor, I carried the camera mostly as a means of "self-defense" in case I "stumbled" into something newsworthy when alone because I generally had a fulltime photographer traveling with me so I could concentrate on interviewing and writing. I write; he clicks the shutter.

I believe you are entirely realistic and not at all naïve regarding your interest in birds and wanting others to read your posts and share their own experiences and knowledge about birds.

I also am not so naïve as to think anyone gives most of my posts more than a cursory glance. This belief goes back to my newspaper days when I literally would be surprised if someone would come to me about something I wrote, much less want to discuss a particular story. It did not happen often and, when it did, usually came in the form of complaints.

On the contrary, people would approach me asking and sometimes pleading to keep items out of the newspaper. I have encountered literal threats and offers of bribes to keep legitimate news out of the newspaper. On one occasion, I was sucker-punched in the face by an irate man; when I did not fall, he turned and ran away. He was later arrested and charged. On a few occasions, I have been offered cash and sex to "lose" stories; the stories were never lost and always printed.

I am active in the Sierra Club and have been an on-again/off-again member of the Audubon Society and other environmental organizations, but my interests there primarily are in creating and preserving wildlife habitat and sanctuaries, not in specifics about the creatures themselves. I put out bird food daily, see many, can identify few, and squirrels get most of the food. I could go on, but I think you are beginning to get a glimpse of the way my mind operates and my interests flow.

Yes, I am "in a different world where history speaks loudly, where thoughts are controversial and opinions are strong." More about that later ....

I am not altogether certain what world you are in, Kaya, but I do know you are wise, intelligent, astute and have your feet planted firmly on the ground.

End of Part 1 of 2

Fram Actual said...

Part 2 of 2

I wrote Part 1 last night, Kaya, and decided it was getting long/long/long and that it would be better for me to get a measure of sleep before reading it over and posting it.

It is now time for the "more about that later" segment in which you describe me as "in a different world where history speaks loudly, where thoughts are controversial and opinions are strong."

Yep, a fair description ....

At some point, time runs out for all of us, as it did on Sunday, June 25, 1876, between two and five in the afternoon Chicago time on the rolling slopes of "greasy grass" for G.A. Custer and a few hundred other men. Most of us do not know when our clock will expire and most who died that day probably did not think it would happen until near the exact moment it did .... most of us move more or less blindly through our days, setting our priorities along the way.

Among my priorities are expressing my thoughts and my opinions. The sea of blogs seems to me to be a good place to do just that, especially since my "newspaper era" largely has come to a conclusion .... by choice, I might add .... all things must end.

While "Georgie Boy" Custer might be second or third among individuals in terms of material written about him, I have no illusions that the number of people interested in reading about him and his exploits extends below the superficial, i.e., see the film; skip the book. This stems from exactly what I said: I write my posts to please myself, not in expectation that many others, if any, will be interested enough to read the stuff.

That is the way it is with all my posts, no matter what the subject matter. Some evolve from lifelong interests; others are passing fancies. It comes from a "jack of all trades, master of none" mentality and from a sort of inborn arrogance.

So, Kaya, this seems like an appropriate place and time to end this note. Take care, be safe and see you on the Fourth of July -- figuratively speaking ....

Something special ....