Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Ven two Minnesootins meet oop nort

There is an old joke that because of the vast differences in manners of speaking English from one side of the Atlantic Ocean to the other, an Englander has to learn a new language when he comes to the United States and an American has to learn a new language when he travels to the British Isles. Some might also say still another variation of the English language must be learned to understand spoken words and to be understood in Minnesota. Read on below to learn more .... and, by the way, if the print on the illustration is too small to be legible, click on it to enlarge it.

How to talk Minnesotan

In my never-ending quest to add confusion to the world, I want to say/write a few words about speaking Minnesotan.

The first time someone ever said anything to me about my accent, I was in training with the Marine Corps. My reply was, "What accent?"

The guy asking me was from New Orleans and had an accent that simply did not quit. Another fellow from New Orleans, conversely, had absolutely no discernible trace of any accent -- at least none that I could hear. It was then when I first began to realize I must sound as strange to someone from Texas or Alabama as they sound to me .... remember, at the time I was only a few months out of high school, still a teenager, hardly a man experienced in "the ways of the world."

A book by Howard Mohr published in 1987 and currently experiencing a resurgence is entitled, "How to Talk Minnesotan." The book was largely based on idiosyncrasies and colloquialisms of the region. For instance, with a most residents having Scandinavian ancestry he noted that locals consume a considerable amount of lutefisk, but do so more out of a sense of duty than with relish. (Personally, I never have tasted it .... I cannot stand the smell of it.)

A film entitled, "Fargo," was released in 1996.Fargo is a city in North Dakota and the action in the motion picture takes place between there and the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metropolitan area. While the action includes a kidnapping and a few murders, the centerpiece of the movie is the way Minnesotans sound when they talk. Here are a couple of examples: 

Minnesotans often string words together: "Have to" often is "hafta" and "I'm going to" often is "eye-mina" and "what are you" often is "wha-cha" and "up north on the lake fishing" often is "oop-nort onda-lake fichen."

Thanks to the Scandinavian background, the Minnesota accent has a sing-song quality and the word "yah" frequently replaces "yes." Here is a common sentence: "Ya, shure, you betcha."

You get my drift ????  Rather than trying to describe it further, I have included a pair of video clips from the film to provide a taste of talking Minnesotan. While the conversations in the clips are a bit exaggerated, they sounded pretty normal to me .... welcome to Minness-ooohhh-ta. The film was made in Minnesota and is "drop-dead funny" and is a classic .... if you never have seen it, it is well worth your time.

Whatever .... this being the final day of January 2018 and to note that only two months of FramWinter now remain, this piece seemed like one more fine way of disrupting sense and sensibility and playing havoc with the good order of the universe.




4 comments:

Anita said...

Hi!Minnesotan sounds very friendly when they speak!

But..I can not really hear the differense between any other american language such as a new yorker ect ect (beside the texas ones though.they have a slang you never can forget)

Do love the second clip from Fargo (is it?)Just like we have it every day here now..gooing deep into the snow with those snow shoes hehehhe

Greetings Anita

Fram Actual said...

There is a phenomenon called "Minnesota Nice," Anita. I am not sure how to define it, but it supposedly is a commitment to friendliness that occasionally borders on passive aggressiveness and generally means greeting everyone with a smile and helping others when the opportunity arises. Anyway, people tend to believe things that are repeated to them often enough ....

I guess there are countless regional accents -- "cockney" and "scouse" in England, for instance. There is the Brooklyn accent and others in New York City; New England has its own distinct flavor, especially Boston; it usually is easy to tell when someone from Kansas or Missouri is speaking to you; "deep south" accents are found, like those in Georgia and Alabama; there is "Yooper" in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which is pretty much the same as Canadian .... there probably are regional differences in Norway, too, for all I know. I decided to pick on Minnesota because I live here and people often make a big deal of the sort of funny way "we" talk.

Yes, Minnesota is the land of more than ten thousand lakes, and lots/lots/lots of snow ....

Thank you, for coming and for commenting, Anita .... you are the one person it seems I can always count on ....

Liplatus said...

Different dialects are fun. Hope not all will disappear.

Some time ago I read from an American Finn that they are talking about Finglish or Fingles, the speech is partly Finnish and English.
Partly the Finnish language has disappeared, but it is still in certain areas.

I have begun to explore the family. I know in Michigan several relatives living in the 1935s and 1800s near Minnesota. Many relatives live there.
I started the family's extensive genealogy, so it's slow.

Fram Actual said...

It would be very interesting to go to sleep for one hundred years, awaken, and discover what languages still exist and, among those, which still sound the same. I consider myself fortunate in the sense that I had a high school English teacher who spent a certain amount of time teaching us Old English and Middle English, as well as contemporary "American" English. Language, it would seem, is constantly changing, always evolving, with words from other languages borrowed and intermingled.

You and I exchanged comments a few months ago about your family ties to Michigan and my one-time residency in the Upper Peninsula. I probably mentioned then that I recalled hearing women speaking a language which I never had heard before, inquiring about it, and learning it was Finnish.

My mother's parents were second generation American, and German was still spoken in my grandfather's home and Norwegian in my grandmother's home when they were small children. I have a few letters my great-grandfather wrote in German to my great-grandmother.

I began a "family tree" while in my twenties and still maintain it. History, especially that of my own family ties, is one of my "fascinations" in life. I try to keep it easy and simple by concentrating on "direct line" ancestry .... but, I am afraid everything I have gathered will be lost after I am gone.

Thank you, Liplatus, for coming here, for reading my post, for commenting. It is always a pleasure to discover you have been here ....

Something special ....