Sunday, December 24, 2017

T'was the night before ....

Under the category of "ancient history," for part of 2009 and 2010 I took up residency in Warsaw, Poland, in a third-floor apartment I rented across the square from the Royal Castle. A portion of the castle is visible through the window, and a segment of a towering Christmas tree also is visible. It was a sweet view, and I never did tire of looking out from that window. Christmas and New Year in Warsaw were among the most interesting and most enjoyable escapades of my life .... I always will be glad I was there.

Wondering if Christmas is an anachronism

To mark the holiday season, here are three -- absolutely/no doubt about it/for sure -- "traditional" musical selections which focus upon Christmas and its meaning. These selections were among my favorites when I was a boy .... they still are, for that matter. Christmas will never be an anachronism for me: Merry Christmas, guys ....

"Carol of the Bells" .... was composed by Ukrainian Mykola Leontovych in 1914, with lyrics by Peter Wilhousky. The song is based on a Ukrainian folk chant called, "Shchedryk," which in English translates to, "The Little Swallow." It is performed here by the Bel Canto Choir of Vilnius, an independent choir established in Lithuania in 2009.
 
"O Holy Night" .... was composed by Adolphe Adam in 1847 to the French poem, "Minuit, Chretians," which translates to, "Midnight, Christians," by a wine merchant and poet, Placide Cappeau. It is performed here by London City Voices, a non-religious, non-audition, community London choir.

"O Come, All Ye Faithful" .... was originally written in Latin as, "Adeste Fideles." The earliest manuscript dates to 1751 and bears the name of King John IV of Portugal. An English Catholic priest, Frederick Oakeley, translated it from Latin to English in 1841. It is performed here by choirs from Saint Olaf College in Minnnneeeesssootata.

Verbatim from Wikipedia: "St. Olaf College is a coeducational, residential, four-year, private liberal arts college in Northfield, Minnesota, United States. It was founded in 1874 by a group of Norwegian-American immigrant pastors and farmers, led by Pastor Bernt Julius Muus. The college is named after the King and the Patron Saint Olaf II of Norway and is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America."
 
To this I would add Saint Olaf is thirty miles from my current residence. My high school class consisted of twenty-nine students, of which five later graduated from Saint Olaf. Of those five, two went on to become Lutheran ministers, one an university English professor, one a public high school teacher and the other a taxi cab driver in Washington, D.C. .... hmmmm .... strange brew, so it would seem .... 




6 comments:

Anita said...

Merry Christmas Fram!!!

Beautiful post and happy photo of you in Warschaw!

Those where the days my friend..Happy young in love with a beautiful gilr and a beautiful town:)))

I remember it so well-I think Ihave looked on that photo a thousand times..Its the only one of you.and the church is beautiful seen through the window..It tells alot such a photo.Dreams.Waitings.Love .

My best music ever is the last one.The young Silver boys choir singing in Christmas.We will be listening to it when we start to eat about 17.00 a clock.Pinnekjøtt and Aquavitt ,Multekrem for dessert and homemade Lefser to the coffe is on the meny to start with
Yesteday Alexander and me had a Christmas coming in "SKÅL" ,Cheers , with a little glass of Sanct Hallvard Licour looking at The Vikings and Christmas in the old days.We have cold and stormy weather.

I wish you of all my heart a good time Fram!Hope you spend it with family ,love ones and Buddy!

Love Anita

Kaya said...

Merry Christmas Fram and a Happy New Year!
May 2018 will be the best year for you ever!

I like the photograph of you in Warsaw. You are wearing t-shirt as a memory of those days when you were a Marine and the whole scene is so tranquil.

I like also the view through the window. The Royal Castle is beautiful.

Stay warm Fram!

Fram Actual said...

Merry Christmas, Anita ....

My days in Warsaw truly were happy ones -- and interesting ones and enjoyable ones -- for exactly the reasons you wrote. Some day, I hope to experience more such days -- many more ....

For several reasons, I agree with you that the last song of the group is the best of the three. For a number of years when I was a boy, it was my favorite among my favorites of any and all songs, not just Christmas music. I love hearing that song sung either in Latin or in English, and especially when many voices are signing it. I suppose I think of it more as a communal song than as an individual song.

My menu will be less elaborate for this evening, Christmas Eve, and for tomorrow, Christmas Day. In fact, other than a bit of lefse, I am not at all certain what I will be eating. And, unfortunately for me, the lefse is store-bought and not homemade. I think I probably will have ham with very few trimmings.

Buddy and I will be alone this year. A gathering had been planned, but illness and super-frigid temperatures have ended that idea. The daytime high Christmas Day is expected to be about minus twenty Celsius, with a brisk wind. A gathering might take place next weekend to observe the arrival of the New Year, but that is a "wait and see" matter at this point in time.

I wish you and Alexander a joyous Christmas, Anita, and hope Santa Claus will find his way to you through the stormy weather.

Thank you, Anita, for finding your way to me and bringing holiday happiness to me ....

Fram Actual said...

Merry Christmas, Kaya ....

I like the photograph, too. Actually, it is the second time I have used it. Semper Fidelis is the official motto of the Marine Corps, but the words on the shirt are among the informal mottos and reflect the level of self-confidence found in the Corps.

I seem to recall you writing in a post that Warsaw was among your stops on your first journey to the United States, and that you obtained an entry visa at the U.S. Embassy and Consulate there. It is an enduring city with a fabulous history. I loved my time there, and hope you did, as well.

With sub-zero temperatures outdoors, I plan to be indoors where it is comfy and warm ....

Thank you, Kaya, for coming here and for bringing me a measure of holiday cheer ....

Fram Actual said...

Merry Christmas to you, Daliana.

I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas Day and, beyond that, I hope your past year was kind to you and your future year will be all that you wish it to be .... take care and stay safe ....

Smareis said...

Gostei muito da foto Fram, esse lugar teve ter muitas lembranças e significado pra você. Uma bonita visão da janela. Varsóvia deve seu uma cidade linda. Você deve ter tido momentos maravilhosos enquanto esteve lá.
Gostei de ler sua postagem Fram.
O vídeo é muito bom, gostei!
Se cuida e fica bem!
Sorrisos!

Something special ....