Saturday, February 21, 2015

So, we meet again, and in more ways than one

Frederic Remington arrived at Wounded Knee, South Dakota, not long after the engagement between Sioux and Seventh Calvary troopers, therefore, his illustration of the battle is based on after-action commentary rather than on personal knowledge. His drawing, the one here, appeared in Harper's Weekly on January 24, 1891. The encounter had taken place on December 29, 1890. I will not get into the political debate of whether it was a "battle" or a "massacre." I have read a number of accounts contemporary to the event and own a number of books (including some with rare photographs), and think both words are appropriate. Anyway .... I stopped by the site on my return from the Black Hills of South Dakota to Minnesota. I have been there before, but never during winter. In many ways, it is holy ground and a place where ghosts linger. Incidentally, many of these same individuals had met before when the Seventh Cavalry encountered Sioux and Cheyenne at the Little Bighorn in Montana fourteen and one-half years earlier -- June 25, 1876. I am glad I made this brief journey, including this particular stop: It reminded me I am part of a spirit which links me to immeasurable ancestors and their memories, as well as to my own experiences. By the way, do you think the sketch/the words/the music do not fall into place together? Look again, baby ....

Because it makes me happy

I am not sure if this qualifies as a post or not, but ....
 
I am back in Minnnn-e-e-e-e-so-t-t-a-a-a-a ....
 
I ran out of ammunition and had to come home to reload. That is a joke. I am the type who has never run out of anything .... except, maybe ....
 
Well, to move along .... once upon a time I never ran out of ammo or forgot to carry three packs of cigarettes when I left home. Now, I never run out of ammo or forget my cell phone when I walk out the door. Pitiful, hah ??
 
All right .... to the point .... my former wife has a follow-up examination next week at Mayo Clinic, and I will be taking her there and spending a few days with her. After having been apart so many years, it is strange being in daily contact with her via telephone calls and actually spending so much time with her. Time twists everything, but, the good and the bad, the right and the wrong, have not changed. Nothing really has changed; we both are the same people who love each other in a sense, but cannot live together.

Anyway, after that I will be gone for a few more days doing a bit of work. Yes, I sometimes do work. (Somewhat reluctantly; I try to avoid it.) Free lance. Not journalism on this occasion, although I do that from time-to-time. When I was a policy and management analyst in corrections, I "outsourced" now and then. (Do not snitch me out to my old employer, please.) It was sort of like being a consultant (I even have a chapter in a book about the intricacies of starting a prison from scratch), and, from time-to-time, an opportunity arises to make a few bucks going into a place or a situation to analyze and to recommend and, on occasion, to finalize matters.

And, although my leg is off kilter enough yet to prevent a six-minute mile, it can manage that distance in about eight minutes (even over ice), which is good enough for this particular task. If you cannot figure out the logic of that, just smile or even laugh and give me the benefit of a doubt.

The title of this post comes from my emotional reaction whenever I hear this song. Although it is sad in nature -- even heart-breaking -- it is uplifting and promising to me. It is exquisite in so many ways, and IT MAKES ME HAPPY .... if only for a few moments.

A person, a moment, a song, a concert, a piece of work well done, even a smile from someone with a certain glance .... these things and so many others might make you cry and laugh in the same instant .... a sunset, a flight of birds, the howl of a wolf in an ice-bound camp (that is real to me, if not to you .... so imagine it.)

Listen to this song, allow yourself to drift into it and to become part of it, and you will never be the same again. At least, that is what happened to me the first time I heard it and every time since, and I am glad for it.

And, to answer a question from another, as long as there is life, it is never too late for anything .... whatever I have wished for has become reality if I really, truly, actually have wanted it .... yes, I know, I am beginning to repeat myself .... and, a few days can be more meaningful than a few years when hearts and souls meet .... but, only if the stars allow for it to be so ....

A kiss or two and a sentence or two usually reveal all there is to tell ....

As Hamlet pointed out in casual conversation:

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

 
We shall see. I have made a few decisions. I hope this is me talking and not Southern Comfort, because if the ending were not a happy one, I would have to rewrite it ....
 

No comments:

Something special ....