Friday, May 8, 2009

Thinking about a canoe trip, are you?

Being able to hear the "Dueling Banjos" song was one of the fringe benefits from the movie version of James Dickey's novel, "Deliverance." Drew (Ronny Cox), on his guitar, and a mountain boy, on his banjo, cut loose in a race of the fingers to see who could play a particular song the faster. A while later, as the canoeists set off down the river, the mountain boy stands on a bridge spanning the water, silently watching them depart.

Preview of coming attractions


I have decided to write a post about James Dickey's novel, "Deliverance," and the subsequent motion picture. But, I am not quite ready. How 'bout that?

In the meantime, I am going to run a couple of "teaser" photographs from the movie. My assumption (correctly or not) is that most people have seen this movie, but few have read the book.

My belief is that those who have neither read nor watched are missing one of the best novels ever written, brought to life even more through the stunning visuals and the stellar performances by a number of actors in the movie. Until tomorrow .... or Sunday .... or ....


Lewis (Burt Reynolds) fishes the archer's way, while Ed (Jon Voight) leisurely keeps the canoe from drifting too rapidly in the river current. For aficionados, Lewis is using a Bear bow, Bear arrows and fishing accessories. The two men are in a 17-foot Grumman canoe -- all the gear the best of the best.

13 comments:

Rachael Cassidy said...

I DO need to read the book... Thanks for bringing it up... and I can't wait for your views on Deliverance. MOST people only know one line... and it has to do with a poor pig. :( he he he...

Katy said...

I haven't read (or seen) Deliverance Fram, so now another one to add to my ever-expanding list! Looking forward to reading your reviews of the book and film... whenever :-)

TheChicGeek said...

Ooooooo, Fram, a teaser :) Me like :) I love the pictures too...makes me want to jump in a canoe. The boys in the boat aren't too bad either...LOL

Hope you are having a Happy Day!

Fram Actual said...

My favorite line is from Lewis to Ed: "Now you can play the game." This is in the movie, when Ed is about to ascend a 175-foot sheer cliff in the light of a full moon. The conversation is a bit different in the book.

Thank you, Rachael. I am curious to see what I will come up with, myself. I watched the movie again today, and have been skimming the book. We shall see.

Fram Actual said...

Put this one ahead of "The Onion Field," Katy. I would recommend both the book and the movie to everyone but, again, my enthusiasm for canoeing and, to a lesser extent, for archery, gives them an edge right from the start.

Many sources rate the novel among the top 100 (or better) of the 20th Century, which should give you an indication of its quality.

Fram Actual said...

Just like an L.A. girl to go for the glamour guys. Well, that is ok, Kelly. At least I have my own canoes, so you would not have to stand in line waiting for those boys to go out and rent one.

The photographs set me on fire; half-memories, half-anticipation. I cannot wait to see what is around the next bend.

daijoji said...

I don't like these boys in canoe, but going with you. So you two, guys, Princess and Fram, take one, I'm taking my own, and let's go! :-) Beautiful weekend to everyone :-) Bye.

Fram Actual said...

I think this could be an interesting weekend with all of us on a canoe voyage upon the river, Magda.

We are all good guys here, and on the river each of us will learn more about our self, and each of us will discover the destination of our journey.

daijoji said...

You are right, Fram. I can only imagine how good teacher the river could be.

Fram Actual said...

Some have said water is our life-blood, and a river is the life-blood of the earth.

Others have said that, in many ways, a river is like a woman.

By the way, I really do like your "new look," Magda.

daijoji said...

Beautiful about water. Thank you, Fram, I'm glad you like me now too, me too :-) Much more than before :-) I'll be back to read your new post later. Have a sweet Sunday, handsome Canoe Master :-)

Fram Actual said...

Your new image reveals much about you, Magda, and might reveal much about your readers, as well.

Keep your cap, however, it might come in handy for woodland walks and cruising the canals.

daijoji said...

I will keep it, Fram :-) And for ocean sailing too! Please, forgive me not commenting your Deliverance's posts, but I became still for some time. But I have already read them! :-) Wish you beautiful weekend. Bye.

Something special ....