Saturday, January 5, 2019

Another post without real rhyme or reason

I frequently mention how I am drawn to water -- especially to "big water" -- like a moth is drawn to flame, which is why this photograph is here this day. It is a screen shot from the Jon Bon Jovi video, "New Year's Day," that I used in my December 31, 2018, post. The image so captured my memory and my inner longings that I thought of using it then, but let stand the "time machine" illustration .... sort of a superstition I have about switching things out at the last moment. Together, the water/the boat/the sky in the photograph form my conception of what I would have life be for me and, very probably, the manner of life I would follow if I could do it all over again ....
 
The words in this post are some I wrote a few days before Christmas, but did not publish them then. I am running them now because it bothers me to "throw away" anything I have written, no matter how nonsensical or irrelevant it might seem. It sort of goes along with liking to hear myself talk .... hmmmm .... while that is true, actually and more importantly topics which are illusory and off the beaten path interest me because they are among those which form questions which probably can never be answered.
 
Accompanying the post is an old piece, "Salt of the Earth," by the Rolling Stones. I have seen the Stones perform twice and like a couple of their songs, although no one could ever accuse me of being a particular fan. The second video involves segments of the band's 2005-06 tour. No matter what one thinks of the music, the Stones' ability to be a vital element of the music scene for 57 (fifty-seven) years and a band which currently is on tour yet today deserves respect.
 
The salt of the earth
 
I began to think/wonder about the "salt of the earth" expression from the Bible a few weeks ago .... it probably had to do with the approach of Christmas. I do have a King James version I received on the occasion of being confirmed into a religious faith as a teenage boy, so I fetched it (how is that for a word?) and proceeded to do a bit of research. Here is what I found, according to Matthew 5:13, King James Version:
 
"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men."
 
Utilizing the internet, I found a version "translated" into more contemporary words. According to the New International Version: "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot."
 
Again, from the internet: Matthew is quoting Jesus Christ and is describing a time when Jesus leads his disciples up to a mountaintop to teach them and there he tells them that they are the salt of the earth. Salt was a valuable commodity in the ancient world. Salt was expensive in those times and was a necessary part of food preservation and flavor. The Bible has many references to salt, which was even used as currency.
 
In contemporary times, "salt of the earth" has come to describe someone who is earnest, honest and down-to-earth.
 
I really have no idea where the notion came from, but at some point along the line I came to think of the "salt of the earth" as someone (in this case, a man) who grew to adulthood, followed his family business, got married, had children, went to church regularly, was a life-long community supporter, grew old, sort of retired after forty or fifty years at the same job in the same town, died a respected member of his community and everyone in town came to the funeral. How many people actually liked the individual really was of little relevance. In the case of the woman, she would be the counterpart to the man in this scenario.
 
Growing up in a small, rural community and seeing life as it existed around me probably was the seed from which that notion was born and evolved. My own conception of the phrase is pure speculation based on childhood observations of the community around me, and the idea of the origin of the root makes sense and is logical. Not to be overly factious, but I probably am closer to being among the "pepper of the earth," however, I have been unable to find a reference to who or what that might be so it would seem to be a moot point.
 
All I know with certainty is that no way can I be considered among the "salt of the earth" according to my own definition -- although I believe the words "earnest, honest and down-to-earth" are among those which do describe me.
 
Hmmmm .... sort of reminds me of another quote from the Bible -- the one about vanity ....
 
 

8 comments:

Kaya said...

That is interesting, Fram that you are drowned to the water. Sometimes I see in my dreams my favorite Baltic sea where I spent every summer. I miss it. I look at the photograph and find it very dramatic, the sky is heavy and threatening and the whole mood is unsettled. But I like it .

Yes, that is absolutely true when you say that someone is the salt of earth, you mean that this person is good and honest. And very down to earth.

You wrote about a very interesting topic. Some facts I didn't know and some I knew.

I can say, Fram that you are the salt of earth. You are honest, sometimes to the point that you forget about diplomacy. You are realist and see things as they are.

I listened to both versions of the song "The Salt of Earth" by Rolling Stones and I like the first version more. You are very fortunate that you were able to attend twice Rolling Stones' performances.

You surprised me with this post. In a very nice way!

Kaya said...

Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant you are drawn to water.

Fram Actual said...

My plan always has been to move back to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan when I retire. My grandiose scheme has been to buy a sail boat of some size, keep it on The Lake during fair-weather months and have isolated, shoreline property where I can beach it and live in it during the winter months. Along those lines, I always have said that I fully expect to drown in The Lake some day, so your first word quite possibly was an inadvertent prediction of what might actually come true. Incidentally, I also always have said moving away from The Lake has been the greatest mistake of my life. I was happy there ....

I fully understand your attraction toward the Baltic Sea even when the weather is threatening. Lake Superior is famous for its storms and has sent many ships to its bottom, some of which I have dived on when I lived in the region. I enjoyed going to a place called Presque Isle to watch storms when they came rolling across the lake from the northwest with gale-force winds driving towering waves. In some ways, the apex of Nature's beauty is in the midst of a fierce storm.

I always wanted to canoe across The Lake, too, but have given up on that idea for a couple of reasons. The narrowest point is from the area of Isle Royale (Michigan property, but offshore Minnesota) over to the Keweenaw Peninsula on the Michigan side = about ninety (90) miles going from the northwest toward the southeast, which should be favorable to the prevailing winds. I have estimated that I could do it alone in about thirty-six (36) hours barring anything unforeseen creating a problem.

I am glad you liked the post. I started thinking about the expression, "salt of the earth," for no particular reason and became curious and began writing about it. Once written, I decided to use it. I agree that I am pretty much of a realist, but my imagination creates problems in that regard and my curiosity, at times, pushes out of realism and into superstition and the obscure .... sort of three steps that way, then one back and two to the side .... or whatever ....

Actually, I do not forget about diplomacy, but my drive to rid myself of any and all exposure to political correctness sometimes pushes diplomacy far into the background and out of sight. I try to be polite and well-mannered, and I generally like to say I am a mirror: Whatever you see in me is a reflection of yourself. Your point is well taken though, Kaya.

Thank you, Kaya, for coming here and for writing your words here. I think your life experiences have given you much wisdom and I enjoy it when you share your thoughts with me. Take care, stay safe and well, and be happy .... you are a treasure ....

Anita said...

Happy New Year Fram.You opening words Another post without real rhyme or reason..But i think it is great..in fact you made it and took your time doing it must have ment something for you..The salt of life..I dont know what to say about that..isnt it like the yin and yang?
We need the salt..thats for sure

I have read the comments here..and you mention.. I generally like to say I am a mirror: Whatever you see in me is a reflection of yourself.
Can you explain that quote?

is it stressful to always be like that?

I never think like that.I hope for others to treat me as they would had wished for them selves..If not I go away.

Here we have those endless storms and bad weather.Finally got some free time from work.I am going to start a new job in a week.There will be a policeman,a body guard a social educator, a doctor and me,With 10 patiens.Looking for ward to it.

Wish you a great month Good health to you and loved ones.

Anita

Fram Actual said...

Yes, treat others the way you would wish to be treated yourself.

I think that must be (at least, should be) what everyone is taught when going to work in an institutional setting and, for that matter, it is a good rule to live by for everyone. I cannot recall when and where I first heard it, but it was part of the training program when I began work for the Department of Corrections in Dakota.

As for the reflection in the mirror remark, it simply means respond in whatever way you are approached: If someone approaches you in a friendly manner, respond in a similar manner. If someone approaches you in a hostile manner, reply in an equally hostile manner. It really is not stressful for me to be that way, probably because it sort of comes naturally. It sort of falls in line with my level of self-confidence, but I really am not sure how it would work for someone else.

I know I try to treat anyone and everyone else as an equal, but if someone tries to put me down, I put them in their place. It pretty much is like the lyrics Tom Petty sang: "I will always stand my ground ...." There have been times when "standing my ground" was a pretty stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway and, so far, I have come away unscathed.

Your new job sounds like it will be in a place where the patients are mentally unbalanced. If that is the case, be very/very/very careful, Anita. The prison system I worked for had a "treatment unit" for the criminally insane. I filled in there a few times when there was a staff shortage.

I had never thought about it, but I suppose "salt of the earth" could be like "yin and yang" if you look at it in the sense there are people who plant roots and those who never do, and it takes both types to make the world go round. Some say money makes the world go round; some say love makes the world go round. I am sure both do, and different types of people do, as well.

And, yes. I wrote the post because it meant something to me. My curiosity, at times, pushes me out of realism and into superstition and the obscure, and I enjoy wondering about such things and looking for answers.

Happy New Year, to you, Anita. I hope your new job will work out well for you and that the year ahead will be especially good to you and for you. Take care, sweet one ....

Liplatus said...

Picture has an unreal atmosphere. A dark sky where the gate of heaven is open. Final trip.
Feels like a Manala ferry.
In Finnish mythology, the mood of Tuonela's atmosphere. (Tuonelan virta, Kalevala )
Without reflection, I see a cloudy day boater. The sun begins to shine instantly.

Well-known saying is "salt of the earth" .
In Finland, there is a Christian newspaper "Maan suola.”

During Jesus, the salt was taken from the Dead Sea,
it was not refined. It could have been impure. Can the saying refer to it.
Unprocessed salt of nature was accompanied by a bad salt, so some of it was thrown away.


Pepper's saying is here, go where the pepper grows. Let's say in a situation where you don't like the opinions of another person.
I am interested in the origin of the phrase, but the information can not be found.

Thanks for the music. Well suited for posting.

Liplatus said...

Interested in?
I have a link to a site that deals with "salt of the earth" during Jesus.
I will not publish a link when it has a copyright notice "all rights reserved".

Kotisatama.net
biblical word / week word /
Text 31/2008

Fram Actual said...

The photograph is one, I think, largely the result of being in the right place at the right time and, secondly, because it is a frame from a motion picture. It really does appeal to me, mostly from the sheer, natural beauty of it, but also (and almost as much) because of the mystical quality it presents. In a sense, it could be a "Bethlehem star" sort of metaphor.

It is interesting how so many of the "old religions" have what I would call a few common denominators -- a river for the Finnish, for the Greeks, for the Egyptians, for the Norse and for many others is among those denominators. It is like they all began with one story and split into separate streams as time passed into eons. Besides being interesting, it is easy to understand in the sense of evolution. The magic of a river is born from wanting to see where it goes.

Your comment provided me with new places to explore, Liplatus: The mythology of the Finnish and your newspaper, "Maan Suola,” and the difference between refined and unrefined salt, for instance. There is so much (too much) to learn that it is impossible for any human to capture even a fraction of it. One reason I say my reading habit has diminished is because my "memory banks" were beginning to overflow .... in one eye and out the other, so to speak. There is some truth to that, but it reflects only on me and not for the capacity for knowledge by some individual somewhere. I wrote a post once upon a time about the "last person" who supposedly knew everything there was to know. My vote would be a "half-hearted" nod for Plato.

Pepper is a spice and salt is not, and that is why I used the two of them together. I wanted to indicate my difference from those who are considered to be among the salt of the earth. In any case, I will keep my eyes open for any idioms about pepper and let you know if I find any .... or, if I find anything more about the origin of your "go where the pepper grows." That is an interesting phrase.

I am glad that you came, Liplatus, and the remarks in your note are comprehensive and fascinating. I am a bit surprised you acknowledged the music, but I suppose I should not be .... and, I did go to Kotisatama.net, but was unable to advance beyond the first page; I will try again during my evening ....

Take care, and I hope you and those you love will have good fortune as your companion throughout 2019 ....

Something special ....