Monday, March 5, 2018

Life is music ....

As much as I whine and cry about the snow and the cold of winter, in all honesty I relish and appreciate living where there are four distinct seasons to each year. To that end, I found another lost and lonely painting of sorts drifting along on the sea of blogs and brought it home with me to illustrate, hopefully, the changing seasons. There was a time when I was enthusiastic about photography and would experiment taking shots of the same landmarks during each season .... and of the same location at the same time and on the same day each year .... and from the top of a hill rotating to include all directions at various times of the day or season or year. But, my enthusiasm for photography has largely waned, and now I usually settle by rounding up wandering illustrations.

Watching the seasons change

I have no idea what you are doing these days, but I am waiting -- rather impatiently, in a sense -- for spring. February has been listed as the tenth snowiest and the second coldest in Minnesota since records have been kept. As I wrote earlier, I appreciate living where there are four distinct seasons, but some years the length and the severity of winter try my patience. The end of March brings the end of FramWinter, although one of the heaviest blizzards in my memory came on April 14 and I recall measureable snow Memorial Day week.

My mind is pretty much empty at the moment. I have been watching films, reading books -- most of them gathered in years past, but set aside then for lack of time to read them -- listening to music, and watching the seasons change. Simply to prove to the world that I have not died and moved along to another existence, I am putting up a sort of nonsensical/whimsical/illogical post -- which seems to have become my trademark ....

In the meanwhile ....

Ever hear of Uriah Heep? Hmmmm .... it seems to me I wrote words similar to those in another post not too long ago.

I am not thinking of the Charles Dickens' character in the novel, "David Copperfield," either. I am referring to the English classic, melodic, rock band formed in 1969 by a nineteen-year-old guitar man named Mick Box. Like a very few musicians from that era, Box, now age seventy, continues to make music and to perform on stage with Uriah Heep.

I think you have guessed where this is going. Uriah Heep will be performing at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis on March 10 and guess who has a ticket? Yep .... me ....

A Canadian, Bernie Shaw, is front man and vocalist for the band. At age sixty-one, he is sort of a youngster. He has been singing with Uriah Heep since 1986. Otherwise, the lineup has been the same since 2013.

Did I mention that I have seen this group perform live once before? Well, I have, a couple of decades ago which is sort of long ago and far away. (I think I have heard those words before, too.) Put it this way, sometime and somewhere in Michigan when I was living a very different life and in a very strange incarnation ....

I am including two songs here, one from 1989 at the House of Blues in Orlando, Florida, and the other from February this year in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Box is the rhythm guitar man as opposed to the bass player, and usually to the left of Shaw as you look at the video ....
 
I absolutely love the words on Shaw's shirt in the 1989 concert: "Life is music ...." Box always has been thought of as one of the best guitar players in the business; Shaw, I think, always has been underrated as a singer .... but, as you will be able to tell when comparing his 1989 voice to his 2018 voice, it no longer has the power or the quality it once did.

I have no doubt seeing and hearing Uriah Heep on stage will stir many memories for me and, very likely, create some new ones ....

By the way, today, March 5, is my son's birthday .... Happy Birthday, kid .... see you at the concert ....




13 comments:

Anita said...

Good post Fram.I like very much Uriah Heep .They have changed alot since I heard URIAH HEEP - Come Back To ME!and URIAH HEEP JULY MORNING 1972 and Uriah Heep - Rain (1972) it could go on forever...

So you have winther storms just like all in Europe--Iam so sick and tired of it..Looking forward to spring

I wish I too could be at the concert 10 of march..I hope it will a good experience for you .

Here its a calm sunny day..preparing spaghetti with good meat sauce..salad ,bread and something nice to drink

As you say in the opening words..
Life is music--So is for me..listenig right now to good music at you tube
Wish you a happy day..and I

wrote a reply to your twice comment -I did not see it..shame shame shame on me--

see wht you have done to my life (Heep)

Greetings and hugs Anita

Fram Actual said...

Winter is returning here today. Ice pellets are coming down and five or six inches of new snow to replace that which has melted during the past few days are expected by Tuesday morning. Uffff ....

I am a fan of Uriah Heep, as well, and have used the band's music in past posts. "Sunrise" and "July Morning" are particular favorites of mine. I have written about the sun waking me up on a July morning on a Lake Superior beach after a night of "hard partying" .... then, moments later, those songs were echoing through the woodlands. It was a perfect morning, and one of the best mornings of my life. I suppose it was one of those "once upon a time" events which will never happen again .... but, never-the-less, I would like to try to experience it at least once more.

Yes, I saw your additional comment on your blog, Anita .... and, I added another one myself. I do not expect to like the ending to, "Julius Winsome," either, but I will read the novel anyway and, perhaps, write my own ending to the story. My imagination is pretty good, and I like clear, simple, definitive endings to stories.

It would be nice if you could be at the Uriah Heep concert. My son will be there. Today is his birthday and my own is a few days after the performance, and we always try to do something together around the time of our birthdays.

So, thank you, Anita. I truly appreciate your presence and your words. I will try to have Uriah Heep dedicate a song to you at the concert ....

Smareis said...

Boa tarde Fram!
Gosto muito do outono Fram, embora todas as estações tem suas belezas e utilidades, sem contar que as imagens são de encher os olhos.
Aqui no Brasil estamos na reta final do verão, é a época mais quente, e sempre traz chuvas violentas. Espero que as coisas sejam mais calmas esse mês de março.
Falar em mente vazia eu ando assim também, a inspiração não está muito a meu favor . Espero que logo ela me faça companhia. Tenho lido mais, e assistido alguns filme bem interessante.
Fram que inveja, inveja boa... Sorrindo!!! eu adoro banda de rock, e essa eu ainda não conhecia. Esse show deve ser muito bom, espero que se divirta e aproveite bastante... Aproveite as boas lembranças que a música irá lhe trazer. Adorei o vídeo, a musica é muito boa. Vou passar no Youtube uma hora dessa e ouvir outras musicas da banda.

Quero desejar um feliz aniversário ao seu filho, que a paz, alegria e a saúde estejam sempre na vida dele.

Uma boa semana pra você!
Muitos sorrisos!
Divirta-se lá no show!
Cuida-se!

Fram Actual said...

Autumn is my preferred season, Smareis, although winter overtakes it and ends it much too soon for me. Actually, January and February are the two months I would make disappear if I could -- in a weather-sense, that is -- move January to between April and May and move February to between September and October.

I meant to make note of your thought about inspiration/perspiration in my comment at your post, but somehow forgot to do it. I agree with you, and when inspiration has abandoned me (which it often does), I sometimes will put up a nonsensical/whimsical/illogical post just to demonstrate that I have not abandoned my blog. You could do that, too .... could you not ????

I am not sure how Uriah Heep could have escaped your notice, Smareis. The band has been around almost forever and has had a number of popular songs. Mick Box is an absolute "character" and great fun to see on stage. Bernie Shaw will do anything and everything during a performance. Wild and crazy is a good way to describe him. Once upon a time, the group was master of the music universe .... now, the music is fading, but the fun still is there. Yes, do listen to them on YouTube, but find videos from performances in the 1970s and 1980s to hear/see them in top form.

If you say envy is good, I will accept that as true. I really do envy your religious faith.

My son probably will see this post and your birthday wishes for him .... and, I am absolutely certain he would thank you .... he is polite, well-mannered and a gentleman to the Nth degree ....

I thank you, too, Smareis, for your journey here and for writing your thoughts here .... you know you are special to me ....

Anita said...

Hi Fram have to comment one more time..You are just a fantastic writer!!Reading all of the comments I have a very good time!!
It is such as Heep dedicate a song ..and comments later ..
" I agree with you, and when inspiration has abandoned me (which it often does), I sometimes will put up a nonsensical/whimsical/illogical post just to demonstrate that I have not abandoned my blog. You could do that, too .... could you not ????

Very Nice..How do you fit Your Words??You are an extremly good writer!

I hope you will end that story for me about Julius Winsome.Make it good and make it a surviver- will never die!
Yes I have read Your posts from a looong time ago ..Seems like you were a bit more happier those days??
I mean With that little brown furry bear?

So birthdays are arising..Well well what do we know..

I think Your son is a Handsome Young lad.Full of vitality and good Vibes..Wishes you & him a happy birthday at the concert

So long writer!Iam stuck at work..Very boring..Everyone is sleeping..

Anita

Anita said...

Pss..The photo is beautiful

Fram Actual said...

I think the word "fantastic" is just a bit-t-t-t too much, Anita.

I consider myself an adequate writer, possibly even a good writer .... but, fantastic? Not today, anyway ....

Depending upon how much I like the novel, "Julius Winsome," and my mood when I finish reading it, I might attempt to write a different ending for the story. If I do, the ending would stay within the realm of reality. The protagonist might live or he might die, but he would not live forever. I might even write two new endings and you could have your choice of which you prefer.

There is no question that I was happier a few years ago than I am now. Even a year ago, probably. The "little, brown, furry bear" decided to stay in Warsaw when I left, but a little, white, furry bear came home with me and likes it here quite well.

My son has movie star looks, as a matter of fact. Girls always stare at him. He is intelligent and strong and knows more about rock 'n' roll than I do. He also is an excellent photographer. I am certain we will have a "fantastic" time at the Uriah Heep concert.

Thank you, Anita, for your return visit and for this comment. Take care and stay safe .... and, be glad everyone is sleeping and not running up and down the hallways !!!!

Smareis said...

Boa noite Fram, e ai tudo certo. Como esta o frio ai?
Aqui continuam muito calor, e chuva só veio pra me trazer um resfriado infernal. Amanheci péssima hoje, a gripe me derrubou. Na verdade o calor continua pior depois da chuva, sem contar que a poeira dobra quando vêm essas chuvas forte e rápida, somente suja a cidade e não refresca e nem ajuda em nada. Chuva de final de verão além de perigosa e passageira.
Na quinta fui fazer uma revisão na configuração do blog e perdi todos os comentários da postagem. Os que foram para meu e-mail conseguiram levar de volta, mais quase metade não consegui salvar. Sempre faço o backup do conteúdo da postagem, mais acabei esquecendo-se dessa vez. Vivendo e aprendendo.

Tem uma nova postagem no blog!
Um bom fim de semana!
Não posso enviar sorriso, porque a gripe pode ir junto risos.

Fram Actual said...

You are listing all the reasons I do not like living in cities, Smareis .... too hot in summer, too cold in winter, too dirty from all the dust created by traffic, too noisy from all the people with lawn mowers and snowblowers and highway traffic, polluted air from all the factories and vehicle traffic .... on and on and on ....

I wanted to live in downtown Minneapolis when I was in my twenties, but did not make it. Now, I want to live in the country .... and, with a bit of good fortune, I think I will be once again before the next winter begins. I know I have said words to that effect in the past, but this time my situation is enough different so that I think I might actually accomplish it.

My son arrived Friday afternoon. Saturday afternoon, we went to an indoor firing range and popped off a hundred rounds each -- that was fun .... it had been quite a long while since I had done it. We both enjoyed the Uriah Heep concert Saturday evening -- that was super fun, brought back old memories and created some new ones. He headed out for home this afternoon. We had a few good, long talks while he was here, which was the best part of the visit.

I was sorry to hear you have been battling the flu and lost blog materials. I wish you a fast return to good health and, as you noted regarding the blog loss, "vivendo e aprendendo."

I see you have a new post .... I will be there later this evening .... or, possibly, tomorrow ....

Take care and stay safe and get well quickly, Smareis .... I think of you ....

Liplatus said...

Very beautiful pictures of the seasons.
Hope you will not sink into the snow.
We are near the warmth of spring.

Uri Heep has a strong energy.
A fast run requires good fitness.
They are well, even though they are no longer young boys.

Hope you enjoy the concert.

Fram Actual said...

Yes, the pictures are beautiful .... unfortunately, for me, I cannot put any claim to them beyond noticing them drifting along on the sea of blogs and capturing them for use here. I assume someone created them, but I do not know who that might be ....

A warming trend is coming .... actually, it is here .... nothing spectacular, but the temperatures are expected to hover around forty degrees Fahrenheit (four to five Celsius) through the rest of this week -- but then, snow is promised for next Monday .... uffff ....

Spring does seem closer, though. Daylight Savings Time began here over the weekend.

No one in Uriah Heep has the energy of Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones, or of anyone in the Scorpions, but the band members do all right for themselves in the music department -- and, they do put on a very entertaining show.

Thank you, Liplatus, for finding your way back here once again and for your comment. I enjoy your company ....

A Cuban In London said...

That's one of the things I love about the UK: the different seasons. I know that I'll be in for a treat when spring finally arrives.

Greetings from London.

Fram Actual said...

The past few months of winter here have been harsh in terms of snowfall and frigid cold, CiL, and I am eager for the arrival of spring. It cannot come soon enough for me.

It would be nice to see you post more often .... I hope you will be more active on your blog during the months ahead. Thank you, for coming here, CiL, and best wishes to your daughter, now seventeen ....

Something special ....