Monday, January 16, 2017

One more time for now .... and, then ....

You may have noticed me mention in a place or two that I did break down and buy still Another Smith & Wesson revolver -- and, this time, another .38 Special, this one seventy years old and looking every day of it. I usually search out "old guns" which look like new. Obviously, they are the most valuable. This time what attracted me is a revolver which looks like it has been carried and used every day for seven decades. Actually, it is clear it has been a "working gun" in terms of being carried as evident through holster wear. Usually, I comment how reflection on the photograph of a gun is light glare; in this instance, however, it actually includes areas where outer blue finish has been rubbed off from holster wear. Close examination shows, though, it has not been fired a great deal. My guess is that this pre-Model 10 S&W has been a police gun where it was carried almost daily, but fired only once or twice a year for officer handgun qualification. The holster, incidentally, did not come with it. It is a George Lawrence Company holster. It dates at least to the 1950s and, very possibly, much earlier -- the firm has been around in initial form since 1857. Anyway, this will be my woodland-carry revolver in non-bear country. Next, I guess, is an illustration of a "split personality." If I want a good time and just plain have fun, I will head for a working man's saloon or a concert venue where a band like .38 Special or Lynyrd Skynyrd is performing. If you never have tried it, I would recommend going with a group rather than alone, because you never know what might happen. Come to think of it, I would recommend that for any saloon or concert hall. If I were looking for inspiration or the possibility of discovering Neverland, I would pick a performance by someone like Sarah Brightman or Andrea Bocelli. I assume no additional explanation is required, and I will end the list there for now. I also will include a song from .38 Special and from Sarah below. I almost feel like apologizing for including, "A Whiter Shade of Pale," as the Sarah-song, so often do I place it with my posts: It is haunting to me.

See you in February ....
(Continued from January 11 ....

I need to clear my mind (if that is possible) and decide if I want to continue playing the games of contemporary life styles or if I want to shed gadgets and gadgetry, kiss off political and social ideologues, change my persona to emulate Henry David Thoreau and wander off into a different neck of the woods to discover my own version of Walden Pond and put a fence around it. You might recall I tried that once, and called it my Sanctuary/Refuge .... well, I have two strikes left to accomplish that goal ....

I frequently write in my posts, but have not for a long while, that I call the varying stages of my life my "incarnations." That is to say, my college days were one incarnation; my Marine Corps time was another incarnation; my journalism trek was still another incarnation, although that one was not continuous and existed in segments.

During these times, my persona often changes to fit the situation. (Here we have another description I sometimes utilize -- the chameleon affect.) In other words, my hair style (and facial hair) will change; my manner and habit of dress will change, for instance, from suits and tie to jeans; my type of vehicle will change, for instance, from Audi to Suburban .... and on and on and on ....

It seems to me another new incarnation began last January/February and took a significant leap last mid-June. I think it will be moving into another stage soon. This blog has been part of my current incarnation; I do not think it will be part of the next.

Ain't life strange and weird and sort of .... ???? .... !!!!

In terms of the sea of blogs, I am not going "cold turkey" with it. For now, I plan to post on the the sixteenth of February and the sixteenth of March, and, we shall see after that ....

There are a few on the blogs I also will continue to visit. I think you know who you are ....

Send me smiles and stay safe and wish me luck .... barring the unforeseen .... see you in mid-February ....

Odds & ends ....

This post is going up late. I meant to publish this piece on January 13, but it actually is going up on January 16. (Superstitious guy, am I.) I fell ill (almost literally) during the night of January 11-12, and could do little more than crawl around for the next forty-four hours or so. (I call such "episodes" a reoccurring "jungle bug," which likes to remind me I am human -- all too human –- as Friedrich insists on repeatedly telling me; I have been "delving into" his book a bit during recent weeks.)

I spent about twenty-two hours of January 12 sleeping on my living room floor .... my poor, puppy-boy, companion, Buddy, only got outside to do his business three times; he did get his food, but it was late coming and he survived the test and stayed near me to show his understanding and sympathy. Since the last sighting of a coyote, I do not dare to allow him outside alone.

I was improved, but still slept most of January 13/14/15. Such is life ....

January 13 -- Happy Birthday, Mother.

January 16 -- It makes no difference to me which religion, calendar or ecological reckoning of weather patterns might be considered the to be the mid-point of winter -- January 16 is the marker for mid-FramWinter. If you lived somewhere like Minnesota, the Dakotas, Michigan or Montana, for instance, I think you might agree with me.

January 17 -- Happy Birthday, Rory.

January 21 -- My first blog was born on January 15, 2009, and I began this blog on January 21. I kept them both for a few weeks, then eliminated the original one. Anyway, this is the timetable I am working on with my plans.

January 24 -- Happy Anniversary, Me & the U.S. Marine Corps


19 comments:

Anita said...

Well hello dahling Fram!Its been a long time since I have visited your blog...It really makes me sad to read you have been in such pain..Hope you are getting along better now!

Ohh changes!Who are we and what will we be?

Well we sure aint getting younger.

What is the most important for you friend?
Find it out and follow that path.

For me..its all about devotion..As old as I have become now..Love is not a fancy red cloud..But obligation.

I think one has to live life a bit to understand that quote.


Fineally I have got a brand new macro lens.Soonbe out testing it.

Nice music Fram A whiter shade of pale is a hit!

It could be nice to see real Fram.Yes.With a new look and happy!

A good hug to Buddy!

Have a nice time Fram if you aint coming back before Februar!

Greetings Anita

Pss..All is good with Alexander.

Smareis said...

A sua coleção esta aumentando Fram. O revolver é bem bonito e com bastantes detalhes. Deve ser quase novo pelo pouco disparo que fez. Embora for bem antigo em fabricação.
Desejo melhoras pra você. Espero que tudo esteja indo bem. Espero que seu pobre, puppy-boy não saia sozinho durante a noite. Os coiotes não são amigáveis quando estão com fome.

Nossa, fiquei aqui pensando, minha mãe também faz aniversário dia 13 de janeiro. Nossas mães devem estar de lá de cima nos observando.
Então seu blog já faz oito anos. Parabéns pelo aniversário do seu blog Fram. Espero que muitos e muitos anos seu blog possa estar ativo para seus leitores poder acompanhar suas postagens.
Muitas datas que você comemora no mês de Janeiro.
Não ouço muito Sarah Brightman, mas ela tem músicas muito boas. 38 Special - If I'd Been The One lyrics tem um som muito bom.

Desejo um bom ano para você Fram, e que tudo se resolva, e você logo volta a postar.
Tem postagem nova no meu blog, a primeira de 2017. Quando puder passe por lá.
Um cesto de sorrisos, e uma via láctea de estrelas para você!
Então até Fevereiro.
Se cuida!

A Cuban In London said...

Strange post. Sounds like a valedictory letter with two dates earmarked for eventual goodbyes. Hmmm... strange things have been happening also in your land of late. Wish you luck wherever you may roam. :-)

Greetings from London.

Anita said...

hi again Fram!Nice too seee you back !

I am full of questions..what have you done and how are you??


Looking forward to the 16 when you say it maybe come a post!

Waiting..!

Thanx for nice reply to me

You are missed

Anita

Fram Actual said...

Anita .... I am not exactly back with a new post for February 16, but I am back to reply to the comments which are here. I had more problems than I realized, and ended up in the hospital for a week and in a physical rehabilitation unit for two more weeks. That took care of January .... I have been home for a bit more than a week now. I will write more when I am better (and, when my mood is right !!) .... take care, cutie ....

Fram Actual said...

Smareis .... If you read my note to Anita, you will understand what has happened to me and know what I have been doing during the past few weeks. (Much fun !!) I have been to your blog, but did not leave a comment until yesterday. Although I have earned my way with written words for most of my adult life, it is difficult for me to express my thoughts and feelings right now .... maybe, later, I think .... see you here and there ....

Fram Actual said...

CiL .... thank you, for coming around and writing a comment for me. I truly appreciate your presence here. So, you can understand what happened and know what I have been doing since my last appearance on this page. I am not certain what the future holds for me or where it might take me, but, if I ever return to "London towne," I will be sure to track you down and treat you to a wild and woolly evening ....

Anita said...

Hi Fram:What some news!!In hospital??Wow..I didnt now it was soo bad..Hope you are recovering very well and that the nurses treat you respectly and give you painkillers and whatever you need to start to get better!I dont know ecaxtly what happened but i am sure it was a shitty thing.Who takes care of Buddy??

It was very very nice to hear your voice in my ears again.Love it.

Iam in the midst of a working session in the hospital and is too tired to comment back on my post on my blog..I just visit you to hope you are well.Take care Fram.Much warm thoughts too you.


Anita

xxx

Fram Actual said...

I am going to lie low for a while yet, Anita. I will be back, probably briefly, around mid-March. In answer to your questions, I was in the hospital to have a hiatal hernia "repaired" .... so, it goes .... and, for me, too .... it seems I busted a "you know what" ....

Everything went well. I have been home for about two weeks now. My son took me to a hospital, and I was there four and one-half days; then spent two (very long) weeks and a day in a rehabilitation unit. (Most of the nurses there could barely speak English, and could not understand me ....) My son took Buddy to my former wife's house for the duration.

So, Anita .... take care, stay out of mischief, never trust a doctor and see you here and there at times between now and, shall we say, March 16 ....

Thank you, Anita, for being a good, true friend and hanging in here with me ....

Anita said...

Wow!!Some shit you hav been into.Hiatal hernia is nothing to play around with.But Fram it is easy to fix.Hope you are doing fine now.An operation to the body always takes some time healing. (as I read you have family around you.Thank God for your son and former wife that takes care of ting and tang.And Buddy!
Here around everything goes as usual.I have finished my 6 days og nightwork.Right now praparing an omelett for A.That stays home from school because a flu.(His is big now that son of mine.!1.90 high and 90 kg!)Dont know what to do today.Its a bad weather again.Probably be reading books and look at movies.Baking a cake.

Take care my friend.Dont eat hot food and certainly not do the gym yet.Hope the scare is well.and body function propably.
Write when you can and I will do everything I can to see you good.

Anita

Fram Actual said...

Greetings, Anita, from the other side of the world (and, beyond ....)

Yes, I am mending quickly and well. (I think!) I have been inundated by nurses, therapists and social workers, but I have not seen my former wife or son since leaving the transitional unit. My son was expecting to arrive this weekend for a visit and to "resupply" me, but a snowstorm is expected beginning tomorrow (Friday) and lasting into Saturday. A foot or more of snow is predicted .... but, you know how accurate weathermen are and nothing is certain beyond death and taxes. That said, Ian probably will not make it here.

I have not driven yet since the "event," and I am hesitant to do so. I suppose I am babying myself, but I will need more food and other odds and ends, so this might be the weekend I try it. I have had no liquor since my "repair job," and I am exercising almost every day and sleeping quite a bit. It does not seem like I have been home nearly three weeks .... I am curious to see how much snow does fall and to try shoveling it .... there has not been any during all this time, so this will be a real test for me.

Yes, your son is turning into quite a man .... he is taller than I am and we are about the same weight. Just remind him I was in the Marine Corps and know judo. (.... teasing ....)

Do not worry about me. I am doing fine and will be ready for anything (or anyone) who comes my way before much longer. In the meanwhile, you take care, Anita, and I will see you here and there, now and then ....

Smareis said...

Boa noite Fram?
Tudo bem com você?
Desejo que tudo esteja bem!
Fiquei feliz com sua presença la no blog.
Espero que logo volte a fazer suas postagens.

Uma boa semana, e um excelente mês.
Soprei ao vento uma porção de coisas boas. Espero que chegue ai...
Um punhado de sorrisos.

Fram Actual said...

Yes, Smareis .... whatever you wish, whatever you say is all right with me.

I came close to writing an apology to you for my comment on your blog. The words are what I honestly believe, but I also think they were a bit harsh in the context of your post. So often, there are two or three ways (or more) to express an opinion or to reach a destination, and I have a tendency to select the least appropriate. My mouth -- my words -- often have gotten me into trouble.

I am getting stronger and feeling better as each day passes. I have not had a drink of liquor since January 12, and plan to continue this new routine until the "floor collapses beneath me." I also doubt I will return to the blogs except on an occasional basis: My persona is in transition once again.

Thank you, Smareis, for your smiles and for your presence. I send you my desire for your good fortune and success in all your endeavors. Take care and stay safe and always move forward with confidence ....

Anita said...

Hello dear
Thank you for comment on.my blog
I have been very..very sick after that vacation..down witj pnenomia and bronchitis..today first day feverfree
Hope you are doing all well..writing from..my cellphone
Thinking about you!
Anita😀

Fram Actual said...

Greetings & Salutations, Miss Bergen .... or, should that be Miss Norway ??

I am always pleased and happy to leave a comment for your posts, Anita, but it is nice to receive a "thank you" for doing so.

It was unpleasant news to learn that you have been sick with pneumonia and bronchitis following your holiday, Anita, but good news to hear you are nearing the end of it.

Yes, all is well and fine for me -- other than the weather. It is cold and snowing. Three to six inches are predicted between this afternoon and Monday morning. We shall see, and I will be prepared to shovel whatever comes down. This will be the second time since my return home. I hope it is the last time !!

Take care and do not work too hard -- and, concentrate on staying well and healthy, Anita. Life is much, much better that way, I assure you !!

See you around, here and there ....

Anita said...

Heh heh see you around here and there..ok I got free from work 12 more days but I am not strong enough to enjoy it for shopping yet..

Nice to hear you are doing well and shovel is a good exersice!
About reply to post I always do soo..but not when I am sick..Cant concentrate..

But now I have started to see the Vikings on HBO..thrilling good serie I must say!
Have a nice day and see you around dear friend in Minnesota!

Fram Actual said...

To begin at the end of your comment, Anita .... yes, I enjoy the "Vikings" miniseries very much, too. It is the only show on television I watch "faithfully," and I would like it to go on forever. I identify with it more closely than you might imagine. I frequently wear a "Thor's Hammer." Once upon a time, I spent many hours over many months studying the era and the individuals, and searching for evidence they reached North America. I have an axe head, which has a fascinating "history" .... anyway ....

Three to six inches of snow turned out to be four inches. I went out and shoveled what had fallen about ten last night. Another inch came down overnight, and my leaf blower took care of that this morning. Everything went well, and, yes, shoveling snow is excellent exercise. I think I am ready to begin regular, daily workouts again.

I did not think women ever were too ill (or too busy) not to go shopping. Shopping was like breathing to my former wives. You might not be aware, but I am less than ten minutes away from "The Mall of America" .... which has something for everyone of every age .... at least, that is what its advertising boasts.

Well, I will not tease you about shopping any more today .... but, I will be thinking about you, Anita, and hoping life will be kind to you in every possible way ....

Anita said...

Thank you Fram!Iwas to my doctor yesterday..and yes things are going better,,but still have to use those codeine pills and cosylan mixture to prevent me to coughing all day/night long..(and if you now something about those pills..they consist morphine so yes I do understand my pasients love that kind of medicine.)

Which characater do you ove the most in the vikings series..Ragnar,Rollo, Loke or Hårek or or..I am into season 2 episode 2.Watching to episodes every night.
Iwas a bit schoked abot those manslaughtering by the preists in seson one,.ohh my god!!but then again the christians did the same remembering Moses who wanted to kill his only son as a sacrafice tho God.I wonder was their brains not developed such as we are to day??How could they possible belive mankiling to the gods was realistic?

I do like or think Ragnars second wife the princess and daughter of Sigurd the dragon slayer is very interesting..and her second child Sigurd with that worm in his eye??Interseting what he will become..same as ,Bjørn, his first son from first marriage


About shopping-i ment that when a woman feel not to buy something she must be sick heheheh

I came home yesterday with a pretty pink lipstick so I quess Iam going in the right direction..

I wonder what happened to Visual impact and her blogs??Do you hear from Magda??
Well now I have to do my hobby.Housecleaning!so see you along dear friend!

Pss..be careful with those work outs..specially those stomach exercise--take it easy!

Fram Actual said...

I never have used such medications myself that I am aware of, Anita, so whatever "spell" they might have so far eludes me. I suppose I might have had some administered for broken bones and during hospital stays, but, if so, I have no recollection.

All the characters in the "Vikings" are fascinating to me. The primary ones actually are based on historical figures, although the script writers are playing with timelines. For instance, Paris was never conquered by Ragnar, although a large segment of France was ceded to Rollo: Normandy = Land of the Northmen. The French king thought it wise to have Vikings protecting France as well as attacking it, and the best way to accomplish that was to have some owning land there.

I was not even aware that Kaya and Visual Impact had vanished. It is a mystery to me.

No, I have had no communication with Mag for three years or more. I do think about her and wonder where life has taken her. I can find no indication that she still is part of the "sea of blogs."

March 16 is my birthday. One of my daughters will stop by to have a piece of store-bought cake with me. I also am expecting a visit from my "case manager" in relation to rehabilitation. I think it will be her last time here, so I probably will offer her a piece of cake, too. Will you be coming by, Anita ?? .... teasing ....

Oh, I almost forgot. I have a photograph of Buddy going up as a post for March 16. I still am not ready to write anything -- for three or four reasons -- mostly because my mind is too unsettled and I need to decide what I want my next "incarnation" to be ....

Well, I have been forced to do a bit of housecleaning myself since I have had a nurse or a social worker or a therapist of one kind or another stop by regularly and frequently since I got home. They seem determined to make certain I behave myself .... and, I am trying to do just that with moderate exercise and no liquor.

So, do not worry, Anita. I am not moving too fast with any manner of exercise. I will pace myself because I do not want to experience this again. As for you, take care and stay safe, and think of shopping as a sacred duty of womanhood !!

See you later, baby ....

Something special ....