Saturday, January 31, 2009

Some (sort of) serious political thoughts ....

The former lieutenant governor of Maryland, Michael Steele, has been elected as the first black chairman of the Republican National Committee. Personally, I think this signals open and professionally conducted warfare by the GOP directed against the very liberal policy directions initiated by President Barack Obama and the Democrat-controlled Congress.

Without going into the pros and cons of the George Bush presidency, I assume most first-time voters in the 2008 election are too young to remember the last two years of the Bill Clinton presidency (or any of the Clinton years, for that matter). May I be the first to tell you: Mr. Clinton was as despised and ridiculed by his most vocal opposition as was Mr. Bush by his. Really. He was. Such is the way of politics, and Mr. Obama is setting himself up for harsh criticism and negative attacks from the outset due to his rather radical plans. His concept of desired change is hardly the same as that of most Americans.

Some years I'm interested in politics; other years I try to avoid any contact with politics. As I've mentioned in the past, I do consider myself to be politically independent and have registered as such in states where I have lived when it is an option. That said, life has many roads to travel, and I periodically decide to take a "sort of sabbatical" from journalism. In one instance, I was a paid staff member for a Democrat candidate to the U.S. House of Representatives, and then for the first year he was in office. But, after making this admission, I would also note this was in a conservative district and this man showed open disdain for the far left element of his own party.

My votes, whether in local, state or national elections, invariably go for the person I consider best equipped to handle the task at hand. This is not the way a political partisan votes. I would hope it is the way most independents vote. It has taken less than two weeks into the presidency of Mr. Obama to have the hair on the back of neck begin to rise. I think I am about to become interested in politics once again, maybe even active once again.

Music Note: Currently listening to Sarah Brightman ....
Specifically, "time to say goodbye" ....
(A serious mood requires serious music)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Obama has such a thin skin. I think it will prove to be his achilles heal.

Fram Actual said...

You have a valid point.

So far, he's managed to control his temper, but he is unable to mask it lying just beneath the surface. One of these days he'll throw a tantrum in the wrong place.

Something special ....